Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Nice reliable standalone wall / ceiling mounted WAP - nothing fancy needed  (Read 4523 times)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger

Hi,

I am fed up with my re-purposed TP-link W8980 which I am using as a WAP.  It doesn't play nice on the network with DHCP, has to have a static IP and my gut feel is it is causing problems, it is certainly crashy and needs resets,  Its a surprise,  it worked reasonably  well as a router but my guess is the firmware / setup is not really intended for use in this way.

Anyway, I think I will buy a nice purpose-made WAP - what would people recommend.  Would like 11AC but I don't really care about the latest whiz-bang standards as the devices which will connect to it are all mostly mobile devices (family all use Apple stuff I use Android).

What would people recommend?  I already have an Asus AC68U, I am less enthusiastic about getting another Asus device as it has been a bit flakey.

Am thinking about one of these wallmounted style business oriented standalone WAP's like this TP-Link.

Chunks

vic0239

• Reg Member

I recently bought one of these to replace the Wi-Fi functionality of my Apple Time Capsule. It plugs directly into a standard power socket and using is as a AP rather than extender it has increased the signal strength throughout the house. It is also quite configurable via its web GUI.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

aesmith

• Kitizen

Am thinking about one of these wallmounted style business oriented standalone WAP's like this TP-Link.

It may be pure prejudice but I tend to think of TP-Link as being low-end kit rather than business grade.  For that sort of price I'd prefer Openmesh or Ubiquiti which is what we use for low cost corporate customers.   Having said that there was a recent recommendation on here that I now can't find, for an AP with built-in Ethernet switch - can't remember who posted it or what the device was but it was something like Asus or one of the other home network type brands.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger

It may be pure prejudice but I tend to think of TP-Link as being low-end kit rather than business grade.  For that sort of price I'd prefer Openmesh or Ubiquiti which is what we use for low cost corporate customers.   Having said that there was a recent recommendation on here that I now can't find, for an AP with built-in Ethernet switch - can't remember who posted it or what the device was but it was something like Asus or one of the other home network type brands.

I'll check them out thanks, I have read good things about Ubiquiti.

I recently bought one of these to replace the Wi-Fi functionality of my Apple Time Capsule. It plugs directly into a standard power socket and using is as a AP rather than extender it has increased the signal strength throughout the house. It is also quite configurable via its web GUI.

That's an interesting one,  initially I thought it looked like a homeplug network device (which I want to avoid) but looking closer I see its not and if you can use the ethernet port as connection back to your lan I could see this working, will check it out :)

Cheers!

Chunks

vic0239

• Reg Member

if you can use the ethernet port as connection back to your lan

Exactly. I have it connected to my router thus and plugged in nearby.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
Re: Nice reliable standalone wall / ceiling mounted WAP - nothing fancy needed
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 08:33:42 AM »

After a lot of umming and ahhing I pushed the button on a Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-Pro, I have a suspicion that there is a lot of hype / marketing going on but enough of the reviews seem consistently positive to give it a try.

It's marketed as an enterprise device although I suspect its probably more of a premium consumer type device, it comes with a lot of configurable options which I won't use - looking forward to having it wall mounted and forgetting about it.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Chunks

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 11:13:05 AM »

Yes pls, am extremely interested in the outcome.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 07:39:26 PM »

I've been running the Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC PRO for a couple of weeks now and am very happy.  I am pleased to say I think it lives up to the hype, has been faultless and completely reliable for the whole time and whole family would be happy if they had bothered to notice that our previous issues have gone away.

I guess that's the sign of a good network / connectivity isn't it?  No-one notices.

I made a little review and added to my channel if any of you want the noobs-eye view (I am not very techy) :

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVQ4UXUbCIg[/youtube]

Whahooo!

Chunks

anything