Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: HIGH PINGS and LOWERED SYNC - after over year of fastpath  (Read 9162 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: HIGH PINGS and LOWERED SYNC - after over year of fastpath
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 12:44:51 PM »

I am not sure if this is relevant but super high amount of errors (pkts) appeared on upstream last night on my TD-W9980. The number is 49646854230 lol.

That's almost certainly the result of a bug in the firmware.
  Eric

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 03:06:53 PM »

HG612 3B arrived this morning, should I connect it now to see what is going on or give it few more days?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 03:20:50 PM »

Might as well do it now, as long as you power off and don't power on for 30 minutes there shouldn't be an issue.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 03:23:49 PM by Dray »

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 03:40:30 PM »

Just a question.

Will my latency be increased again by 2-3ms as it used to be on VR900 due to different chipset or "two operating systems"? I am planning to use unlocked HG612 3B + TD-W9980 as a wireless router.

I also purchased 1m dsl cable from tandy's (adslnation). Will see if it is any better than my current 1m cat6 from mr..telephone on ebay.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:02:02 PM by N0STIE »

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 01:13:40 PM »

UPDATE:

It has been 11 days since DLM put me on interleaving, still no fast path. I noticed my DS SnR hovers from 4.8-5.3dB - does it mean there will be more errors as SnR stays below 6.0dB target? I didn't notice any unstability or anything like that.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2016, 08:45:04 PM »

Errors are likely to be a little higher with a lower snrm. There's many reasons why it could be lower than 6dB including a crosstalker connecting after you.

If you want it as stable as possible then you should resync when the snrm is at its lowest. If you resync at the lowest snrm (most noise on the line) and come back at 6dB, then when there's less noise on the line or the crosstalkers go offline your snrm should go above 6dB.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2016, 10:05:42 PM »

The SNRM can change during those 24 hours it seems to only effect users on longer lines can only guess this is because their is more copper/aluminum loop from the PCP cabinet to users home and the radio frequency interference has a better chance to impede a circuit and cause the SNRM to lower due to noise.

This SNRM swing of 4.8 to 5.3dB should be ok it depends on these errored seconds some lines are happy with 3.0dB and other lines will see a huge increases in the ES rate at that SNRM target yet G.INP is very good at keeping those ES rates down with a low SNRM.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2016, 12:27:57 PM »

Errors are likely to be a little higher with a lower snrm. There's many reasons why it could be lower than 6dB including a crosstalker connecting after you.

If you want it as stable as possible then you should resync when the snrm is at its lowest. If you resync at the lowest snrm (most noise on the line) and come back at 6dB, then when there's less noise on the line or the crosstalkers go offline your snrm should go above 6dB.

I just noticed DS SnR is 4.7dB and it is only 1pm O_O, if it drops below 4.5dB by 9-10pm I'll force a resync. But hey, will it affect the period time that it was stable for the last 10 days while waiting for DLM to put me back on fast path?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2016, 12:31:32 PM »

A lower snrm means errors are more likely however it doesnt mean they will for sure increase, my line has dropped to below 5db and I am still getting an error rate similar to when I was on 6.3db.  My SES have increased somewhat but my normal ES count is at very similar levels.

Also I dont think DLM takes uptime into account, I once rebooted my modem under 12 hours before DLM moved me back to fast path.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2016, 12:36:39 PM »

A lower snrm means errors are more likely however it doesnt mean they will for sure increase, my line has dropped to below 5db and I am still getting an error rate similar to when I was on 6.3db.  My SES have increased somewhat but my normal ES count is at very similar levels.

Also I dont think DLM takes uptime into account, I once rebooted my modem under 12 hours before DLM moved me back to fast path.

Thanks for very quick reply.

I have HG612 3B and would love to monitor the errors rate but can't manage W9980 to work with it as a wireless router. I connected all the cables correctly but no internet connection. Should I change something in W9980 options?

milgo

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2016, 02:47:48 PM »

When you are all connected up are you able to ping both devices from your laptop or pc? The HG612 ip address should be 192.168.1.1

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2016, 02:57:34 PM »

When you are all connected up are you able to ping both devices from your laptop or pc? The HG612 ip address should be 192.168.1.1

I haven't checked if I can ping it. Yes, the default HG612 IP is 192.168.1.1 and W9980's IP is 192.168.1.1 as well so perhaps that is the issue?

milgo

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2016, 03:09:04 PM »

Yes it sounds like it is.  I don’t know the layout of a W9980 configuration page once you have logged into the device but essentially the tab that you are looking for will be called something like LAN or LAN IP setup.  Once there you will probably see that the 1st ip address for your LAN starts 192.168.1.1 you would need to change this to 192.168.1.2 then apply the changes.  192.168.1.2 would then be the address that you use to access your W9980 when you want to login to it.  At the moment both your router and the BTO modem are using the same ip address on your network so there will be a clash.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2016, 08:48:41 AM »

Fast Path returned this morning at 8am!!!! It took exactly 10 days since the power cut 10 days ago. Average ES with capped sync to 30k were about 6-7/24h.

Obviously G.INP still not enabled as I am on ECI.

DS sync still capped at 30000, attainable dropped to ~45k, SnR increased to around 20dB.

I'll keep monitoring errors.

How many ES should I allow to appear per 24hours before I can increase sync to 35-37k?

Thank you les-70 and others for bringing idea of capping sync!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:51:12 AM by N0STIE »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2016, 01:29:35 PM »

last time I dropped from fastpath to interleaving it took exactly 10 days to return to fastpath. If you're waiting a week, you may as well give it 10 days. I recall it also taking 10 days for kitz line to return to fastpath recently.
:P
How many ES should I allow to appear per 24hours before I can increase sync to 35-37k?
If your line held fastpath for over a year it should be fine to go really. It was likely a 1 off event that caused DLM to act. If you want to be cautious I would cap it a couple mb under your usual sync. The hard/aggressive cap is only needed to drop interleaving. You shouldn't need to keep it that low if you always had fastpath on uncapped sync.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 01:38:00 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: 1 [2] 3