Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Superfast Cornwall Experience  (Read 26918 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Superfast Cornwall Experience
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2016, 03:39:58 PM »

I also attach the "portrait" montages for the circuit's snapshots on both dates.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

hendry

« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2016, 05:19:14 AM »

Thanks guys. If you want me to carry on uploading the router output somewhere, let me know.

Tbh I have no idea how to read those logs. =)

thesmileyone

« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2016, 06:07:04 PM »

A few more comments from me

Im unsure if (FTTC) fibre would be in the ducts at the beginning of your video*.   If the A30 is carring the main backhaul it cant just branch off anywhere and  needs some sort of main junction before it can split off into smaller metwork segments.   Think of it like your router then serving various equipment in your home. 
A telephone exchange is the usual point where all the network equipment such as the FTTC/FTTP OLT (Optical Line Termination) and switches reside. 

Some info: -

Full line info isnt showing up on the BTw database, which usually indicates LLU - so could AAISP be provisioning it using TT? 

Served by Cab 2 on Cardinham which is an ECI cab provisioned Phase 9a BDUK Cornwall in April 2013   
Cardinham is a small exchange with only 2 PCPs - all the rest are EO Lines.

From info Ive tried to piece together from the cab photo in the video it looks like the FTTC cab is on the corner junction at PL30 4DB and about 1 km from  the farm.

According to my checker the total line distance is apprx 2.5 km from Cardinham exchange. 
However, Cardinham is NOT a headend exchange. BODMIN is the nearest headend exchange that has an FTTC OLT.  Therefore the fibre to your FTTC cab will directly feed back to Bodmin and not to Cardinham. 
The most likely the fibre link to your cab will go along the A38, (probably branching off at Turfdown Road) as Bodmin appears to serve as the headend for several smaller local exchanges such as Dobwalls, Liskeard etc.

*Noted that Cardinham has not yet been updated to 21CN so it may contain old 20CN ATM MiSP links to say Reading RAS which are totally inadequate for Fibre broadband traffic.
21CN - which is required for FTTC, doesnt work like that and goes through a series of Nodes with a more local MSE bRAS and then on to a WDM backhaul capable of much higher bandwidth.

Sorry for the super late reply, I used to live in a place called East Taphouse, and Dobwalls, and have now moved to Cheshire.

There is a BT exchange of some kind in Dobwalls, it's on seperate building with vans outside etc.

Dobwalls feeds off Liskeard.

It was common knowledge in the area that the DF for the country ran up the A30.

It was also "guessed" knowledge that fibre ran alongside the high pressure gas pipeline that went through East Taphouse and past Dobwalls etc in a straight line. that line was no where near Bodmin.

Here is a pic of the BT "setup" in Dobwalls.

I have also drawn a general route/direction of the gas pipeline.

Hope that helps.

Also, I used to be on EO line, ADSL, from East Taphouse (other end of village from where I have shown green cab is) to the Dobwalls exchange, I could only get 56k for YEARS, then one day we got 1mbps adsl, then a few years later a free upgrade to 2mbps, then 4 years or so ago FTTC.

thesmileyone

« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2016, 06:16:51 PM »

Also this is pure speculation.

You say there would need to be somewhere for DF to terminate?

There used to be a marconi building right next to the current A30, this was a telecomms building of some kind (see pic) that used HUGE aeriels that are now gone.

No one knows what this place is used for anymore, including people on conspiracy sites.

It looks abandoned but the access points are very well kept and the security is very up to date including what looks like thermal imaging cameras (see pic, you can see them in the background).

Makes sense to me if the dark fibre for the country runs down the A30, where this is next to, and then splits to serve Bodmin, St Austell, Truro etc.... this is kind of where you would put such a point, no?  And fibre for the country would need to be under heavy gaurd, no?

The only thing is I have never seen any BT vans, or any other vehicles near it, ever.

Pics.

ejs

• Kitizen

thesmileyone

« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2016, 07:01:44 PM »

Well, I guess that rules that out?

Very strange how they take great care of the access points, and have such high tech security (the cameras not the fence although that is proper spec) given it is just an empty building, though.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2016, 08:20:16 PM »

Its probably got a huge underground base underneath it, or have I been watching too many films.....
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

thesmileyone

« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2016, 03:26:22 PM »

Interesting you say that actually because it is in parallel with RAF Culdrose, where, on the same parellel, there is a nuclear bunker, a lot of high voltage overheads that go seemingly nowhere, and a lot of radio masts.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

anything