Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Banded Profile?  (Read 2709 times)

lf2k

Banded Profile?
« on: October 19, 2016, 08:17:10 PM »

Evening all.

I recently migrated from Plus.net 80/20 to BT 50/10 (my line had gradually degraded through cross talk to the point where it made no sense to pay for 80/20).

I switched over on the 27th Sept.   I kept the HG612+router rather than use the  gimped "super" hub they sent me.

Line was as good as gold - no interleaving, retrained every few days - in short I was pleased with the switch.

The reason I'm writing this is because I appear to be stuck on 49000, even though my attainable is higher and SNRM is something like 7.8  (stats are on MDWS as LF2K)

The DLM retrains every morning between 7 and 8am.  It doesn't matter what time it does its stuff, always 49000 down (upstream varies),  According to BTW checker/advanced option I'm on 53nnn Mbps down and 10Mbps up.

Is this a stuck profile?
Is it worth swapping out my venerable HG612 modem for the BT router?
If I contact BT support will they do anything (the text on BTW checker suggests not)
Any suggestions?

I know I'm quibbling over a few Mbps, but I twitch uncontrollably whenever I see an SNRM above 6.3... :)

Any/all help appreciated!

Cheers,
Rob

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Banded Profile?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 09:41:13 PM »

I've just taken a quick look and from what I've seen, it does appear that your circuit is banded at 49000 kbps DS.

What is puzzling is the almost daily retrain that occurs. Clearly there is something that the DLM thinks it can adjust by forcing a modem - DSLAM retrain.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 07:16:48 AM »

I agree with burakkcat. I swapped from TT to BT at about the same time as you. I also kept my HG612/Asus router combo. My line retained a couple of times on the first few days then was solid but on a low sync for several weeks with no retains. After about 5 weeks it did one retrain which turned G.INP on and my sync went up to what it was before the switch to BT.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 07:21:23 AM by cliver »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 07:23:17 AM »

There's no recordings on MDWS between 30th Sep - 5th Oct, but certainly on the 5th you weren't banded. The ES number on the 5th is at least 2600+ and that's only from part of the days recording. DLM had then banded your line in the morning and it's been stuck since.

Our recent experience is that banding sticks, and only an on site OpenReach engineer can remove it via a DLM reset.

A lot of banding seems to occur to those on Huawei cabinets during an ISP switch in the period where G.INP is disabled.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

lf2k

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 09:38:27 AM »

Thanks for the responses...

I had another resync this morning, and having just checked BTW checker my IP profile is showing 47.38 Mbps, down from the 53 it was when I originally posted.

This is slightly irritating since my attainable is 53188 as I write this.

I'll slap the BT router on when I get in tonight to see whether that makes an appreciable difference (I suspect not).

I notice a couple of others are suffering with similar on MDWS, so as you say j0hn, this seems to be more common than it ought to be.  Obviously I have G.INP again, so I'm not sure about the correlation between G.INP and Banding...  :hmm:

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 10:20:52 AM »

Your attainable is almost irrelevant. What about the stats for SNRM, Actual Sync speed, Attenuation?

[edit] Ah, I see they are all available on MDWS :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:22:55 AM by Dray »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 10:31:47 AM »

As you're banded I think you would be best off leaving your connection alone for a few weeks.
I really don't think you'll notice a few Mbps faster or slower.

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 12:41:16 PM »

I would agree with Dray, if you keep swapping kit it can adversely effect your profile. Attainable sync send to be pretty much useless as a statistic so best ignored. Monitor your SNRM and ES over a few days to see what happens. If you are getting drops in SNRM and/or spikes in ES at certain times it can be due to crosstalk or interference of some kind. G.INP will help with these but the DLM needs time to settle and monitor to get this right. It took 5 weeks on my line for G.INP to kick in but my line has been solid ever since. You may need to get an OR engineer out to reset the DLM for you to get rid of your banding but, once done, you need to let it settle.
As long as you have a decent modem plugged into your master socket with a decent quality cable you are unlikely to see much improvement by changing things at your end, unless and until your DLM had settled on a decent profile and sync rate. Then it may be worth trying different modems/ cables as long as you change one thing at a time, leave 30 minutes between unplugging/switching off your modem and reconnecting/switching it back on. This will ensure your DLM doesn't see your changes as faults/signal drops and reducing your sync rate to try and fix it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 04:28:39 PM »

Obviously I have G.INP again, so I'm not sure about the correlation between G.INP and Banding...  :hmm:
When you switched ISP your line was reset, removing G.INP. This caused an increase in Error Seconds on the line, causing DLM to apply banding. The recent trend is that banding sticks, permanently. You need an OpenReach engineer to perform a DLM reset to remove the banding. Changing modem will make no difference at all.

If you do manage to get a DLM reset I would recommend limiting the sync rate for the 4-5 weeks it takes for G.INP to return, to help prevent banding being reapplied. I refer you to the top sticky in this section on how to limit the sync rate of your line.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 08:09:03 PM »

Changing ISP should not cause banding to a line once G.INP is removed as there is still Interleaving that can be used if your errored seconds go above the DLM threshold of 2880 (SPEED PROFILE) the line should resync with Interleaving in place with lower errored seconds than fastpath instead of banding being put inplace

Yes G.INP is taking a long to come back these days rather than on the second day as it was designed to do before someone at OR made changes to the DLM

lf2k

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 08:29:56 PM »

Apologies - perhaps I didn't make it clear: I have G.INP enabled.  It was enabled on 5th October.  My line switched ISPs on 26th September.  So I received G.INP 9 days after migration, not 5 weeks.

My d/s SNRM was 7.8.  It's now 8.0.  According to the BT "super" thing, I've got downstream sync of 48kbps (no, it genuinely has a kbps typo!).  I left everything switched off for the 30 minutes and plugged in the supplied router - this has resulted in a 1Mpbs reduction in upstream.  Obviously I have no stats, but I'm not messing with anything now I've swapped over.

I'm going to leave it in this state for a few days and see what happens, since the recurring theme is "play the waiting game".  I'm sure that when they play with the SNRM in Janurary (assuming they apply the 3dB tweak then), that'll be the kick up the backside the DLM needs...