Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DLM profile: how much of a factor should this be in choosing ISP?  (Read 1234 times)

Berk

Can someone please explain what 'real world' advantage there might be to choosing an ISP that uses a different DLM profile to the one we have? or is it impossible to give a useful answer unless line stats are collected first?

We're currently with BT, so presumably on the speed profile? using a BT Home Hub 5 type B on a Huawei cabinet.

Vodafone is one of the options for migration, and I think I saw mentioned that they use 'standard' profile. Alternatively I could switch to Origin and they would supply us via Vodafone and the profile could be altered by them according to keyap and Kitz. N.B. haven't made a final decision on ISP, we may yet choose another.

I'm probably being overly cautious here as we had a very poor experience with ADSL which only got worse as time went on, but fibre at the same location has been vastly better. Since signing up to BT we were automatically moved from 38/10 to 52/10, and while I can't compare objectively, subjectively I think we get more random line disconnects and the hub reboots itself more frequently after the line upgraded to the faster speed. I guess it could just be coincidence and other factors affected the line.

Also, I noticed that for streaming video, despite full bandwidth always available, I was having to manually set the bit-rate to maximum otherwise it would tend to drop. BBC iPlayer's bit-rate varies no matter what (both 38/10 and 52/10) even though testing at the same time with a speed-tester or concurrent torrents the line would show full speed. Should going from 'speed' to 'standard' improve this? I'm unsure because a couple of the reviews I read from people migrating BT -> Vodafone claimed their Netflix got much worse with constant buffering and that worries me a little (again I am bearing in mind that the reviewer may have local issues, not Vodafone issues)

parkdale

• Reg Member
Re: DLM profile: how much of a factor should this be in choosing ISP?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 06:18:27 PM »

You need to post line stats, but from what your indicating with disconnects .... is unstable line.
Which would affect both ADSL and VDSL, I had a similar problem with disconnects, it was noise on the line.
It won't matter which provider you go with it will follow you round...

Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

anything