Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Publish First UK Prices for the 160-330Mbps G.fast Broadband Pilot  (Read 1366 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

BT Publish First UK Prices for the 160-330Mbps G.fast Broadband Pilot

After a long wait Openreach (BT) has today revealed the tentative wholesale cost of their new ‘up to’ 330Mbps capable G.fast broadband technology for UK homes and businesses, which from January 2017 will be piloted in 17 locations across the country (reaching 138,000 UK premises by the end of March 2017).

Under the current plan Openreach intends to begin the commercial roll-out of G.fast (ITU G.9700/9701) technology later next year, which should reach 10 million homes and businesses by 2020. After that the coverage should eventually rise to “most of the UK” by 2025 and we’re guessing that “most” will equate to around 60% UK coverage.

BT’s long-term plans for G.fast are still dependent upon the final outcome of Ofcom’s on-going Strategic Review. In the meantime Openreach has already confirmed the roll-out of a huge new pilot, which will involve 138,000 UK premises. We see this as being the unofficial start of their commercial deployment, even if that’s not how they frame it.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: BT Publish First UK Prices for the 160-330Mbps G.fast Broadband Pilot
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 11:47:59 PM »

I note a guy on Think Broadband claiming that he's received information from the Regional Partnership Director for the West Midlands on the G.fast plans for his exchange.

I'm dubious. Intensely dubious. I don't see how rolling G.fast to all 27 cabinets on an exchange that, right now, only has 15 passed commercially, 11 planned under BDUK and one with no plans at all makes sense. I have my doubts that there are even plans for 2018 to that level of detail. I'm seeking confirmation. I'm if anything even more dubious that someone at that level in BT would give such information to a random member of the public.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 11:57:10 PM by Ignitionnet »