Broadband Related > ADSL Issues

BTw speedchecker

(1/4) > >>

Ammit:
Does this measure the actual throughput??

roseway:
The actual throughput in their test, yes. That doesn't mean that it's necessarily representative of what you get in real life, any more than any other speed test is.

Astral:
The BT checker always seems to read significantly slower than other testers IME. Whether it is a more accurate figure, who knows?

mr_chris:
Get NetMeter (a free network traffic meter) and have a look at what this does during various downloads. You may have to change the units back to Kibibits / second (Kibibits = binary Kilobits i.e. 1024 rather than 1000) to compare the same units as you get from speedtest sites.

You'll soon get to learn the maximum speed your connection is capable of. Note that NetMeter includes all TCP/IP overheads too, so 'actual' download speed (of useful data) will be less than the maximum reported by NetMeter. This is normal.

rwm32:
A small note of caution.

--- Quote from: mr_chris on April 17, 2008, 09:16:49 AM ---
Get NetMeter (a free network traffic meter) and have a look at what this does during various downloads.

--- End quote ---

Read this with interest: as I've posted in a new topic, I've experienced wildly differing speedtester results.  So downloaded & installed NetMeter yesterday. Great.

Didn't have any cause to re-boot yesterday, and shut down as usual overnight.

Unfortunately, when booting this morning, XPHomeSP2 threw a fit: unable to start svchost for network services. This was a consistent & repeatable error, whether re-starting warm or completely powering down.

Checked event log and spotted two relevant entries:

--- Quote ---Warning: TraceLevel parameter not located in registry; Default trace level used is 32.

Error: Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00018fea.

--- End quote ---

Didn't have time to go through major diagnostic steps (Safe Mode start &etc), so simply uninstalled NetMeter & re-booted.

XP started up perfectly, with no anomalous entries in the event logs.

Just thought I'd mention it...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version