Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ofcom to Open 700MHz Digital TV Band for Mobile Broadband by Q2 2020  (Read 1333 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

Ofcom to Open 700MHz Digital TV Band for Mobile Broadband by Q2 2020

The United Kingdom’s telecoms regulator has today confirmed that the 700MHz (694-790MHz) radio spectrum band, which is currently used for Digital Terrestrial TV (DTTV) services, will be re-purposed for Mobile Broadband (4G / 5G) operators to use by Q2 2020; 18 months earlier than originally planned.

Ofcom’s move, which will see existing television and wireless microphone services being gradually migrated into the neighbouring 600MHz band over a period of three years (starting in Q3/Q4 2017 – see the regulator’s roll-out MAP at the bottom of this article), has been in the works for the past couple of years.

In keeping with that the regulator has also confirmed that 20MHz of “centre gap” spectrum in the 700MHz band will be similarly allocated for use by mobile data, albeit specifically mobile downlink (SDL) type services. The rest can be used by the more traditional 4G based mobile services, such as those offered via Three UK, O2, Vodafone and EE (BT).
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Ofcom to Open 700MHz Digital TV Band for Mobile Broadband by Q2 2020
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 11:35:46 PM »

Bit of a kick to those who invested in equipment using that band for TV.

Why are they so desperate to keep adding new frequencies to mobile data?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 06:06:44 PM »

Bit of a kick to those who invested in equipment using that band for TV.

Freeview TVs can be re-tuned, some people will need a new aerial, and a few people will need filters.

Why are they so desperate to keep adding new frequencies to mobile data?

More bandwidth, and lower frequencies have longer range and better penetration, so for better indoor coverage.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:04:07 PM by ejs »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 08:46:28 PM »

Indoor penetration is fine providing the carriers build enough transmitters to be local to people, I get 5 bars on 4G inside my home.  Also EE gives me faster speeds than my VDSL so bandwidth isnt an issue either.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 09:03:48 PM »

It'll also be bandwidth as in to be shared between everyone trying to use it at the same time.

This is what Three say about their 4G Super Voice:
It’s a bit techy but our new low frequency 4G Super-Voice signal penetrates deeper into buildings so you can make calls, send texts and browse the internet in places you couldn't before. Indoor Blackspots don't stand a chance.

I think that's at 800MHz, earlier cleared of TV.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 04:22:56 AM »

I have big problems with indoor coverage inside my thick stone-walled house. It's fine upstairs, but downstairs you need to be near the east-facing windows.