Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Compact Camera recomendations  (Read 12098 times)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
Re: Compact Camera recomendations
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2016, 09:28:55 AM »

The SONY has an APS-C sensor (23.4mm) which is slightly larger than the Panasonic's I believe and also manual focus if you need it...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:55:56 AM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2016, 09:52:43 AM »

The SONY an APS-C sensor (23.4mm) which is slightly larger than the Panasonic's I believe and also manual focus if you need it...

Yes I noticed the sensor, that's what makes it so tempting to me.   But I think it's more like twice the size, which means lenses with equivalent zooms will also be larger.  A 1" sensor seems to strike the compromise I am after, vs the 1/2.3 that's so common in compacts.

Btw, my decision time (placing an order) is almost upon me.   If anybody subsequently manages, in the intervening weeks leading to delivery, to persuade me I've made the wrong choice, don't expect me to be too grateful... :D

One more thing I'll confess.   I've got around to whittling down the photos from our recent Hebridean tour, the best of the bunch straightened and corrcted and on the server.   All taken on our 8 year old, very basic, pretty cheap compact, TZ5.   Viewed on the big 55" telly, even close up, it's hard to imagine they could be any better with any other camera. :-[

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2016, 10:43:15 AM »

The SONY APS-C sensor is 23.4 mm which is about an inch (which is 25.4 mm), not twice the size of the Panasonic which also has a one inch sensor - but with ~20% less pixels!
Tony
My Books!

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2016, 11:16:36 AM »

The SONY APS-C sensor is 23.4 mm which is about an inch (which is 25.4 mm), not twice the size of the Panasonic which also has a one inch sensor - but with ~20% less pixels!

You could be forgiven for thinking that a 1" sensor might be about an inch, in one of its dimensions. But in the past week of self-teaching I've learned that's not the case, the Panasonic 1" sensor is 13.2 x 8.8 mm.   Apparently the sizes quoted go back to the size of the vacuum tubes that contained the sensors, when people first started thinking about this kind of technology in relation to early TV cameras.   You can see why I miss my old Zorki 4 (mechanical film camera) technology.   :D

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2016, 12:32:49 PM »

I imagine you could query that under the Trade Descriptions Act. I'd be back to the shop with it pronto for a refund if I'd bought it as having a 1" sensor. Even Panasonic's own web site spec describes it very badly as having a LARGE 1" sensor.... DPReview has the much smaller figure you quote but doesn't query it despite also saying it's 1".

I have a 1" sensor but it is about four times the area of the one you are looking at (well if you could see it that is)! Just imagine if the ISPs started describing broadband speeds with that sort of disparity/error/inaccuracy. Oh I forgot, they already do.
Tony
My Books!

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2016, 01:16:49 PM »

In fairness I think it is correctly written as "1 inch type sensor", which does give a clue.   But as I simply want a sensor that's in between pocket compact (usually defined as 1/2.3") and APS-C, I think that Panasonic suits me, no matter what they call it.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2016, 04:56:51 PM »

Fz1000 now on order. 

The only last minute concern was I discovered the minimum aperture for still photos is limited to f/8.  This seems to be a purely software limitation.  Discussions on various forums point out that it corresponds to the 'diffraction limit' for the sensor size.

'Diffraction limit' is not a term I had previously heard of but apparently, if I understand right, it is an inescapable physical limit that varies with sensor size, and applies to all lenses, beyond which image quality will deteriorate at small apertures.   Even if that is the case I'd rather have had the choice to use smaller apertures in situations where top-notch quality wasn't critical, but I wanted extra depth of field, or I wanted an extra-slow shutter speed.   Disappointing and annoying but, I decided, not a show-stopper.   :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]