Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Compact Camera recomendations  (Read 12140 times)

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
Re: Compact Camera recomendations
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 04:53:39 PM »

@7LM

Yes, I'm very happy with the 100D. For a semi-serious amateur on a limited budget, it seems a good compromise, taking into account quality, facilities, affordability and portability. I'm very pleased witht the results so far with the 18-55mm (28·8 - 88 in 35mm film terms) kit lens, and I'm enjoying the creative opportunities using a polarising filter and 10 stop ND filter. It's claimed to be the smallest dSLR on the market.

It may be quite a while before I decide which, if any, additional lens(es) to add, but it's good to know the option is there. I think I'd be frustrated with a bridge, just knowing that it wasn't possible.

Just to clarify: the 100D has no Wifi or bluetooth, but can apparently take Eye-fi SD cards. I use the Focus Assistant app, which doesn't need net access, separately on an Android phone.

Ah, the Zorki - I remember the name well. For many years I used its stablemate, the Zenit E, and my first graduation from a Brownie 127 was the Cosmic 35. Those Ruskie cameras were amazing value - am I right in thinking they were so cheap because they were heavily state subsidised?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 05:07:11 PM by 4candles »
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 05:05:50 PM »

My mates got the Fuji xt-1 ... the wifi can upload your daily photo shoot when you get home :)
So you don't need to connect the camera to the computer directly!
The main reason he got the Fuji was no mirror to flip up therefore less front to back, less weight than SLR of similar spec.
Pics are razor sharp, attached is pic from same week that he bought it, but to low res to see but it's ok original was 3.2Mb.

Edit better pic
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 05:21:18 PM by parkdale »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 05:51:39 PM »

Definitely a second recommendation for the TZ60. Been more than happy with mine.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 06:35:39 PM »

Thanks for all suggestions and comments.  I've been away on a long day out, just got back, car returned to garage, sat back, switched off and poured myself a beer.   :)

I'll be properly following all recommendations and suggestions tomorrow as well as making sure I understand whether or not I need WiFi on my wish list, sounds like it was a rushed assumption I made there.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2016, 11:08:42 AM »

Just been checking out the Panasonic and it seems there's a new model TZ70, which gains by having a better viewfinder, and also gains (in my opinion) from 12 megapixel instead of 18.  Loses the GPS but still has wireless.  Other aspects seem similar if not identical.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2016, 05:09:44 PM »

Sorry for this long essay, largely thinking aloud, I am trying to ensure I respond to all the various comments and suggestions people have helpfully made....

I think I am beginning too get better understanding, and nearing a decision.  If there's anything anybody thinks I have got anything wrong please speak out! :D

First, I don't think there is going to be any way with a compact camera to achieve the focus (&defocus) depth of field control that I remember from that old Zorki 4 of my youth, reason being the small sensors.   So far as I can ascertain, in relation to Depth of field, an f2.8 lens on a compact is akin to f16 on a 35mm, whereas my old Zorki went all the way out to f2.   :(

DSLR cameras tend to have much bigger sensors, similar in size to 35mm negative.  Thus they are capable of similar DoF effects to a 35mm camera.  But I really want the long zoom lenses that come with compacts which are not that practical with full size sensors  as they would be massive, and would probably cost more than my entire pension pot.

While the suggestion of rangefinder-style Panasonic GX 80 did catch my attention, I think the same logic applies - sensor too big to work with (cheap) long zoom lenses.

So I am reluctantly prioritising (cheap) zooms over sensor size.  Nevertheless, whilst accepting that depth of field effects effects will be very limited with a small sensor, they'll be even more limited with a small sensor and a small aperture.  For that reason, I'm now gravitating strongly towards Bridges, as they tend to have larger lenses.  Strongly considering either the four year old Panasonic FZ200 or maybe FZ330 which is a bit more recent.  Both benefit from an f2.8 lens that stays at f2.8 all the way to full zoom.   

I am further reasoning that, even apart from my obsession with Depth of Field, the benefit of f2.8 at long zooms should be that more light gets in, which should allow a faster shutter speed, hence more forgiving of camera shake?

For a tempting 20% or so on top of price over the FZ330, I can get to the FZ1000.  FZ1000 has a mere 16x zoom vs 24x, but I could live with that.   More impressive, in relation to my DoF obsession, it has a 1 inch sensor, more than twice the size, which ought to be a big improvement. But it still falls short of a full size sensor, still no match for that old 1970s Zorki, and is getting on for 3 times my original budget. So I think I may show some restraint, and stick with the 330 as best compromise.

Regarding  the extra bulk of bridge (or even SLR) vs compact, I'm reasoning that (1) I still have my old compact, eight year old Panasonic TZ5 and (2) mobile phone cameras have reached the point of being almost adequate sometimes and continue to improve.  So even though there'll times when I can't be bothered to take the bigger camera with me,  I'd still have a compact alternative.

Regarding viewfinders, despite my scepticism, all cameras on my shortlist have decent (I think) viewfinders, just in case I change my mind on that score.   :)

Regarding WiFi and Focus-Assistant App...   Panasonic cameras that have WiFi can be remotely controlled by a smartphone App, which may or may not be useful, I have yet to assess.  I jumped to the conclusion that Focus Assistant App used the same technology but of course that is not the case, I think it is a stand-alone App.  It looks good but does not seem to be available for iOS, which is disappointing for me, as all my existing phones & tablets are Apple.  :(

Thanks again for all inspirational input.   :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 05:56:11 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2016, 06:41:32 PM »

I'm struggling to understand the image stabilisation status of the FZ200/330. The spec appears to say that it's for video only, although I find that hard to believe.

Other than that, those two cameras look very enticing. Regarding zoom range, my own choice will always be for the largest range I can get, because my biggest interest is wildlife photography, and wildlife tends to be distant.

PS You've made my credit card start to twitch. :oldman:
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2016, 07:20:14 PM »

I'm struggling to understand the image stabilisation status of the FZ200/330. The spec appears to say that it's for video only, although I find that hard to believe.

I'd not noticed that, but I have poured over several good reviews by respectable magazines, and don't remember any of them mentioning it as a criticism.   I'm assuming it does have stabilisation, but will report back if I see anything to the contrary.

One diffference with the 330 Btw is it is meant to be more weather resistant.  If I'd no seen that in the specs I'd not have worried about it as I've always found a way (with common sense) to use non weather resistant cameras even in rain.   I think I'm going to disregard it as irrelevant. ???

Trouble with credit cards is, it's not mine, this was meant to be a birthday gift.   That's why going way over-budget becomes all the more embarrassing, butt I'm still sorely tempted by the FZ1000.   Even though it has a shorter zoom, the bigger sensor might be tolerant of the (ssshhh, unmentionable) digital zoom in addition to optical?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 06:56:39 PM »

Had a play with an fz1000 in John Lewis today and pretty much sold on it.    It's a bit of a monster in size, and seemed to be completely covered in mysterious buttons and dials, but I'll enjoy figuring them all out that and at least it's the opposite extreme from the dumbed down entry-level compacts, that I moaned about when I started this thread.

Roseway may be pleased to hear I really liked the viewfinder.   Looking at the user manual I see it has diopter adjustment too, I missed that in the shop, but may like it even more when I go back for another play  ;)

Only trouble is, nobody, not a single retailer, has any in stock, and it's been that way for months.   Deliveries are promised to resume in November, with priority for back orders,  I think I'm going to do so, cross my fingers, and wait.  :(

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 07:46:42 PM »

Currys have limited stock

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 08:05:48 PM »

Currys have limited stock

I noticed at least one of the online shopping search sites said that, but their own website simply says "out of stock".

Rumour has it a Japanese earthquake earlier this year hit production of the sensors used in these cameras.  That crisis has long passed but, for whatever reason, it appears Panasonic have not yet resumed shipments.   

I spoke to panasoinic myself and they confirmed there had been problems, but they confirmed that they planned to resume shipments next month, prioritising retailers who had placed back orders.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 11:35:18 PM »

Personally I now used a SONY NEX-7, much, much smaller than the Panasonic, higher resolution (6000 x 4000px max), has interchangeable lenses and is about the same price if not cheaper. I have several lenses, with the 16-50mm Power Zoom lens it drops in a pocket easily. Electronic viewfinder with diopter adjust and viewfinder is on the far left so use right eye and your nose doesn't hit the LCD screen which tilts out 90deg if you want.

I had a Panasonic like the  FZ1000 but way too bulky to carry around. Certainly the SONY is one hell of a lot smaller and lighter than the Canon 5D Mk III I used to use!

This photo is straight out of the camera at a car event I was at  in August (mine is nearest the camera).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 11:52:00 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2016, 08:16:25 AM »

All this talk about cameras has persuaded me to dig out my Nikon D7000 which I haven't used for a while because of its weight. And I find that it's packed up. :(  So now I have to decide whether to get it repaired (quite expensive), buy a new body (more expensive) or accept that I'm not likely to use it much any way, and stick with a high-end compact. Decisions, decisions...
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 08:37:55 AM »

Having just returned from a short holiday I have read this with interest. I have a Pentax DSLR and currently use that with a Sigma 18-200 zoom which does most of what I need most of the time, I also have a Sigma 150-500 (somewhat LARGE=HEAVY lens) for some wildlife and aircraft photography and a smaller Pentax 50-300 for closer work. Bear in mind that this DSLR has an APS-C sized sensor which means those zone ranges are more like 1.4 times when compared to 35mm. I'd love a new Pentax full frame DSLR  ;)  :no:

Now my wife has a really small compact, a Panasonic DMC-LF1 which is tiny compared to my DSLR, has Wi-Fi and a viewfinder with dioptre adjustment and a whole range of features which she never goes near! However it takes beautiful photos and she has a great eye as well which is probably why she often gets better shots than me  :-[  :'(  >:( If you are after small and light then take a look at the LF1. Cant say it will fit all the requirements  for 7lm but might be worth a look.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 09:07:58 AM »

@Tony & Stuart, thanks for these latest suggestions.   Both fascinating cameras that look very tempting, and that I'd not included in my 'research'. :)

But so far, my heart's still set on the TZ1000.   I've narrowed down my priority list to

1) Decent aperture and good zoom from a single, sensible sized, lens (Panasonic has 25-400 equiv.).
2) Larger than basic sensor (Panasonic has 1").

One other contender would be Sony RX10.   I played briefly with one yesterday and have to admit it felt better built, with broadly similar spec, but I'm still not swayed.

@Roseway, I dug out my old Zorki 4 earlier this week.  Whilst I don't intend to actually put a film in it, it appears to be working perfectly.  :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything