Computers & Hardware > Other Technologies & Hardware

Compact Camera recomendations

<< < (2/8) > >>

roseway:
Most of the time I have my camera set to aperture priority with a fairly wide aperture. That suits the type of photography I tend to favour, with a foreground object(s) in sharp focus and a background in receding focus. It's a simple matter of turning a wheel on the top to switch to different modes when I need them.

sevenlayermuddle:
Yes, aperture priority would be a big step towards what I want, none of my previous compacts supported such a setting.  You are definitely selling me on the TZ 60,  I will see if the user manual is downloadable and if so, have a read through it.   :)

The other thing that tempts me, whilst I simply don't want an SLR, would be one of the so called 'bridge' cameras.  The bigger lens and sensor can only be beneficial, especially as I want to be creative with focus depth.  I'll be investigating them too but initial thoughts are they're still quite chunky and the convenience of a compact, that just slips into my pocket, is something I'd really miss.

BTW I just noticed that for some bizarre reason I posted this thread in 'Android and other...'.  I meant to post it in 'Other Technologies & Hardware'.   Unless you think it better to leave it, perhaps you could move it for me?

Thanks for all input.

roseway:
I've got a large expensive DSLR with assorted lenses, but I rarely use it these days because it's so heavy to lug around. Like you, I looked at bridge cameras and had the same feeling about them as you. Once I'd mentally adjusted to the fact that it is possible to get good quality in a compact, I've come to be happy using it for everything.

sevenlayermuddle:
I have now acquired the user manual.   First thing I notice is, if I understand it right, the manual focus seems to be expressed as a coloured segment superimposed on an arc, calibrated from infinity to minimum.  The width of the coloured segment seems to indicate what Panasonic call the "focus range". So I assume the width of that segment varies depending on distance, aperture & zoom, in which case it pretty much equates to the depth of field indicators on lenses from days of old?

It is certainly something I can try for myself if I can find one on display, or probably any similar Panasonic model, that I can have a play with.  :)

But I'm still wavering between bridge & compact.   My old compact (one of the early Panasonic 'zoom' range, a TZ5), whilst lacking much in the way of manual overrides, still works as well as it every did.  So one school of thought is, if I go for a bridge I'll end up with best of both worlds.   So far, early days but sticking with Panasonic, the FZ200 has caught my eye.     Decisions, decisions.   :-\

And thanks for moving the thread.   :)

roseway:
I think you're right about the manual focus. To be honest, I've never used it. I prefer to use single spot focusing, and focus on a point which I want to be in the centre of focus, before releasing the shutter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version