Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rapidly increased IP Profile/Speed on Netgear Firmware  (Read 9304 times)

jaydog

• Reg Member
Re: Rapidly increased IP Profile/Speed on Netgear Firmware
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 11:02:01 AM »

nope, i checked my router settings, routerstats, and my isp control panal, there was no disconnection, the sync just dropped.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 11:26:38 AM »

That would be the new firmware jaydog, more over it would be the new DSL Code by Infineon.

And i respect your Opinion B4dger, however i have seen proof in testing on lines here. So this may again be dependent upon the line that is being used by the Netgear or the SpeedTouch.

Leo
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

MikeS

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 12:40:26 PM »

"sync has decreased from 4700 to 3950, but no disconnection"

I have very occaisionally seen this on my router stats traces, but it hasn't appeared as a disconnect looking at the router connection time.  It always puzzled me as I assumed that for a resync a disconnect had to happen.  Seem to remember reading somewhere that the DSLAM monitors errors and may lower sync if it thinks that they are too high - can it do this without a physical disconnect - anybody know ?

My line has a 54dB attenuation my sync rate is 4300-5000 depending whether I boot up in a quiet or noisy period. I try to keep it at 4600 ish which gets me through the noisy period but maintains a 4000IP profile.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 12:48:17 PM »

I suspect that what actually happens is that some very fast re-syncs simply don't get recorded in the log due to bugs or other limitations in the firmware.
  Eric

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 02:49:58 PM »

I suspect that what actually happens is that some very fast re-syncs simply don't get recorded in the log due to bugs or other limitations in the firmware.

Support have noticed this on quite a few occasions. The reason for it though is still anybody's guess. So yes, the modem can resync, without physically disconnecting, or at least to be able to.

emgee

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 11:43:08 AM »

mine is 49dB but i doubt i would ever get 4500, i think you would be very lucky to:

1) get a profile of 4500
2) get bt to put your snr back to how it was

so your saying the speedtouch works better than the netgear?

Both of these now achieved.  :) Neither would have been possible with the DG834G, even with the new firmware.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 12:03:10 PM »

Both of these now achieved.  :) Neither would have been possible with the DG834G, even with the new firmware.

Thanks for the update. It seems that the new firmware although does help in a lot of situations, does cause problems in others.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything