Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mobile networks  (Read 1999 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Mobile networks
« on: October 18, 2016, 04:54:43 AM »

I don't know much about mobile network ISPs’ typical protocol stacks, nor about 3G’s higher-level protocols either.

Does anyone know what service providers such as Three and EE impose upon you in terms of (i) MTU and (ii) protocol support or service blocking?

I use Andrews and Arnold’s IPv4 over 3G (no voice) service which runs over the Three network. They give you one static IPv4 address per account, which is enough for the one iPad that I use with the account, and if I add more machines I just add more accounts and so get one more IPv4 each.

For some reason, they haven't managed to get IPv6 running over it (natively), although I could set it up with proto 41 tunnelling, except I'm using an iPad so I would have to place a router in front of the iPad which would be very messy. Same if I ran L2TP instead.

Does anyone know if (iii) PPP runs over these ISPs’ systems? I'm assuming not, otherwise IPv6 would presumably just work. Could someone deliver (non-tunnelled) Ethernet instead of IP?

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 07:52:02 AM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Mobile networks
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 04:58:45 AM »

Does anyone know if there is any plan for Three to start delivering 4G? We have good coverage with EE 3G and Three 3G at my house, O2 and Vodafone are a bit rubbish by comparison right where we are. This is because I'm 400 ft up, the highest house in the village, and further down towards the sea in the village there's almost no coverage at all, just about enough for SMS in some places.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 05:31:28 AM »

All the networks have done 4G for quite a while now
I have amazing coverage on every network and I'm far from being in a city centre, though not rural either.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/network/4G
http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Network/Coverage
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 06:17:54 AM »

Three have done 4G for a long time, although I'm close to the mast I don't get 4G indoors. When I had my S4 I managed a speed test of around 80/20 when in town early one morning.

I can also tether multiple devices to my phone, but only have 4GB allowance since they scrapped the One Plan.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

anything