Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: official suppliers of Openreach faceplates, HG612 modems?  (Read 3552 times)

Berk

official suppliers of Openreach faceplates, HG612 modems?
« on: October 30, 2016, 11:50:12 AM »

Is it possible to buy new HG612s from an authorised/official supplier? Also the Openreach faceplates?

I might end up using eBay or Amazon Marketplace, but I didn't have the best luck with the 2wire and 834GTs I bought for ADSL (usual ebay issues: used items with parts missing falsely described as new, falsely claimed version numbers etc.)

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
Re: official suppliers of Openreach faceplates, HG612 modems?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 12:18:59 PM »

Officially I believe the HG612 is/was only supplied through Openreach, I'm not aware of any approved retailers selling this so ebay or Amazon market place might be your only option.But there are reputable sellers on ebay such as

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122204045664

The latest Openreach sockets are available from retailers such as run-IT-direct:

https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/mk4btopenreachvdslsocket.html
https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/nte5cmastersocket.html

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 01:26:46 PM »

There are probably perfectly good alternatives to the Openreach HG612, and the Openreach modems won't be supported for much longer.

The TP-Link TD-W9970 is a cheap alternative, and it would probably work fine as a bridged modem, although it hasn't been through the Openreach MCT testing for FTTC.

Berk

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 02:57:03 PM »

Officially I believe the HG612 is/was only supplied through Openreach...

That's what I figured. I'm probably just overly cautious but I do wonder   where they are originally being supplied from with the ebay stores who regularly sell them given that there is not a regular wholesale -> retail supply chain for the HG612.

I was looking at just those ebay sellers :) I'll keep an eye out for a better price used one, but for £40 I'd rather buy from BT Shop if they would actually sell the things officially.

The latest Openreach sockets...

I looked at that as well. If they're known as a reliable, legit seller that doesn't sell counterfeit items then it'll be fine. I have got a very old ADSLNation and Clarity faceplate, but maybe I need a new one. What do Openreach charge these days for a visit to test the line and fit a new plate?

The TP-Link TD-W9970 is a cheap...

I may do that as a fall back option. I'm not against TP-Link, I'm just aware that it is more of a budget oriented brand and I believe the official support life is 2 years, no updated firmware etc after that time. For the price of the W9970 it wouldn't bother me, but for the £100+ routers they sell I would be rather  less enthusiastic.

For the W9970 specifically, did I read somewhere that there is a limit to how much information DSLstats can collect from this model? the more expensive TP-Link models are the ones that are better supported? If I need to puruse an investigation into some possible line instability, will the TP-Link be adequate?

ZyXEL and maybe ASUS would be options. I'm aware of the Draytek modem also, but it seems expensive, I'll only try the 130 if we opt to stay on a 38Mbps service and I find a much reduced used one.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:59:15 PM by Berk »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 03:42:38 PM »

Asus only sell 1 VDSL2 modem currently. It would be well advised that you avoid the Asus DSL-AC68U, see the hardware section for pages of woe on this product.

OpenReach haven't installed/provided the HG612's for a while. If you want a new 1 then snap 1 up soon as the supply will continue to dwindle now it's unsupported. I tend to find success witha quick msg to EBay sellers with something like "is the HG612 definitely new as I'm currently already returning 1 falsely advertised as new". A seller trying to pull a fast 1 might suddenly feel honest if they know you're prepared to return it.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 03:46:39 PM »

No TP-Link models will currently work with DSLstats, they all only have a very limited telnet interface. Some models can currently be "unlocked" by loading a specially modified config file, to enable proper telnet access to a shell, this trick may not continue to work if TP-Link change the firmware. I think the TP-Link warranty applies to replacing the device, firmware updates are more like if and when there's a reason for one, and may depend on if they're still currently selling the device, or have replaced it with something different or a different hardware version.

Berk

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 04:19:55 PM »

Asus only sell 1 VDSL2 modem currently

So what are the Asus models Origin, Cloudscape and a few other supply? Origin's is: Asus DSL-N16, does it just do VDSL and have less features than VDSL2?

EDIT: DSL-N16 listed on Amazon. Says VDSL2 in the specs?

No TP-Link models will currently work with DSLstats, they all only have a very limited telnet interface....

doh, I just ordered the 9970 in case I can't find a satisfactory modem on ebay/amazon. Probably will leave the order active for now, went with Argos thinking the 30 return would give my plenty of time to sort something else if I can.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 04:23:10 PM by Berk »

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 04:36:18 PM »

Another high quality modem is the Draytek Vigor 130 ADSL/VDSL2 modem. This is available almost everywhere and if you pair this up with a top class standalone router such as the Asus RT-AC68U or Netgear R7800 you'll have a rock solid combo.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 04:40:03 PM »

The 9970 will work with DSLstats if you unlock it.

I think all the Asus VDSL2 models use the same dubious MediaTek VDSL2 modem chipset.

Berk

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 07:10:30 PM »

is there any value in the HG633 and/or HG635 to use as a modem only with DSLstats? there seem to be a few of them about but so far I've not discovered definitive info on unlocking the TalkTalk branded units.

Another high quality modem is the Draytek Vigor 130 ADSL/VDSL2 modem.

If I stumble onto a deeply discounted or used one for a good price I might give it a try.  Am I right in thinking it tends not to sync as high as others? presumably wouldn't matter on a 38Mbps line.

The 9970 will work with DSLstats if you unlock it.

Is the method relatively mature now? I briefly skimmed over the 9970 hacking thread on Kitz, but I'm not sure I understand it all. That said it only matters that it be in correctly functioning bridge mode with access to DSLstats.

I think all the Asus VDSL2 models use the same dubious MediaTek VDSL2 modem chipset.

I can't say I'm enthusiastic about Asus anyway, it certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 07:35:55 PM »

is there any value in the HG633 and/or HG635 to use as a modem only with DSLstats? there seem to be a few of them about but so far I've not discovered definitive info on unlocking the TalkTalk branded units.
The HG633 contains a TriDuctor chipset, so presumably wouldn't work with DSLstats even if it could be unlocked.

The DrayTek 130 uses a Lantiq chipset, and won't work with DSLstats.

Is the method relatively mature now?
The method for the 9970 has not changed since it was first developed. I'm not sure that makes it mature, just old.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 12:35:01 PM »

If you want a modem/router that works out of the box with DSLstats then the ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D is probably one of the cheapest options.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Berk

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 10:18:18 PM »

I have bought one each of the VMG1312-B10D and HG612 3B. Went for used ones just while I get a feel for them. Hopefully will get our migration before the end of the month as well.

The ZyXEL arrived already, not thrilled with the condition of it but it seems to be working OK and at least it was cheap. I tried the factory reset and it's defaulting to a Zen login and password for the broadband connection. It doesn't really matter but can the Zen firmware be completely wiped and replaced with a vanilla flavour? It is the same version firmware as the latest posted on the Zen website.

The DrayTek 130 uses a Lantiq chipset, and won't work with DSLstats.

Re Vigor 130 - is it actually worth looking at this at some later time? I know Draytek have some nice stuff, but if my cabinet is Huawei/Broadcom will the Lantiq chipset give any advantage? I've read people experience lower sync with the Vigor 130, but if there are fewer errors and it's good for less stable lines I might be interested in getting one after I find out if there is a problem or not with my line.

The method for the 9970 has not changed since it was first developed. I'm not sure that makes it mature, just old.

I cancelled my order for the 9970. seems like a redundant option and more hassle than either of the ZyXEL or Openreach modems.