Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT News: Openreach trial 40Gbps FTTP / 26M premises passed for FTTx  (Read 2288 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

This mornings news from Openreach: 26 million premises passed with Fibre [FTTx] and 40Gbps FTTP trial - Announcement by Openreach CEO Clive Selley.

Quote from: Clive Selley
Today I’ll be announcing at Broadband World Forum (BBWF) https://tmt.knect365.com/bbwf/ that we’ve now passed 26 million premises with fibre and working with Huawei we've become the first companies in Europe to trial an exciting new broadband technology which could super-charge speeds for businesses and consumers. BBWF is where worldwide telecoms operators, suppliers and the media come together to discuss the issues facing our industry. I’ll be addressing the conference and sharing some of the pioneering work we’re doing to keep Britain at the forefront of the digital economy. Read more about what my colleagues and I will be speaking about in our BBWF special below.

26 million fibre premises passed is fantastic news and a great achievement from the ID teams as we work with government to broaden superfast coverage to 95% of the UK by the end of 2017. We’re also ramping up our plans to deliver faster speeds. Our successful trial of the fastest Fibre to the Premises broadband technology means that in the future we could use a single fibre connection to serve multiple premises simultaneously with up to 1GB each.

I’m proud to be representing Openreach today and sharing some examples of the brilliant work our people do.

Clive

Admin - Edit formatting and topic title
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:08:29 PM by kitz »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: BT News: Openreach trial 40Gbps FTTP / 26M premises passed for FTTx
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 07:13:40 AM »

Successful fastest Fibre to the Premises trial announced at Broadband World Forum

Openreach and Huawei, one of our key technology suppliers, have become the first companies in Europe to trial an exciting new broadband technology which could super-charge speeds for businesses and consumers. The trial involved a Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) connection running between the University of Suffolk, Ipswich Exchange and Adastral Park. 40Gbps, 2.5Gbps and 10Gbps speeds were delivered simultaneously over a single fibre optic cable.

The most common FTTP technology in the UK today offers maximum speeds of up to 330Mbps with a single fibre transmitting 2.5Gbps of capacity, which is then shared between customers. This latest breakthrough shows that even greater capacity of 40Gbps and 10Gbps carried along the same fibre, demonstrates how FTTP networks can be future-proofed so we stay well ahead of the demand for bandwidth. FTTP is one of the key solutions we are using to making ultrafast speeds available to 12 million premises by the end of 2020.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 01:20:45 PM »

BT and Huawei in New UK Trial of 40Gbps Ultrafast FTTP Broadband

Openreach (BT) and Huawei have today claimed to be the “first companies in Europe” to trial three new ultrafast fibre optic broadband technologies, including 40Gbps (Gigabits per second) capable NG-PON2, 10Gbps XGS-PON and 2.5Gbps GPON (Gigabit Passive Optical Network) over a single fibre.

Readers of ISPreview.co.uk may be familiar with these as we covered the International Telecommunication Union‘s (ITU) consent for the new Fibre-to-the-Premise (FTTP/H) style NG-PON2 (ITU-T G.989.2 Amendment 1) and XGS-PON (ITU-T G.9807.1) broadband standards back in March 2016.

At present a typical GPON style FTTP broadband connection on BTOpenreach’s network can only deliver Internet download speeds of up to 330Mbps (rising to 1Gbps in the very near future), with a single fibre transmitting 2.5Gbps of capacity, which is then shared between customers.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 03:35:59 PM »

I wonder if this can be used to upgrade existing fibres in use with old PON? Or do you need newer better physical fibre too?

Does anyone know if you might not get your full 330 Mbps currently then (or your 1 Gbs), given that your current PON is a share of only 2.5 Gbps, because it is being oversold?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 03:42:03 PM »

The existing fibre should be fine. Effectively, fibre has unlimited bandwidth and is just restricted by the electronics.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 04:40:49 PM »

Does anyone know if you might not get your full 330 Mbps currently then (or your 1 Gbs), given that your current PON is a share of only 2.5 Gbps, because it is being oversold?

Would it matter, if you only got 80Mbps at times? The cable, cabinet, exchange and ISP won't have enough bandwidth to give everyone full speed at the same time, nor do they really need to have.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 05:12:36 PM »

Some customers are cussed, awkward and demanding and are paying many times over the odds to try and get as close as possible to the ideal.  ;D  ;D

It also depends on how detailed and honest people are being and what they claim when they sell such a service and how much cash they are wanting for it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 10:12:54 PM »

Thank you BS.
Hope you dont mind, but I did a bit of formatting and tidying up. :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 07:23:38 AM »

Ha ha, absolutely not ............ I did notice a post or two had crossed with Bowdon's 'on the ball' news reports, at least it's all now in the one place. Thanks.  :)

anything