Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2 separate xDSL connections (lines) in one house  (Read 2799 times)

N0STIE

• Reg Member
2 separate xDSL connections (lines) in one house
« on: October 17, 2016, 04:58:20 AM »

My brother is moving back to parents house (where I live and currently have VDSL2 line with BT).

He wants his own internet connection, probably ADSL or VDSL2 no idea yet, will ask him.

Is it possible to have 2 separate lines in 1 house? Obviously with different phone number. Does new separate physical line need to be fit and if so is there going to be an additional charge for it if he decides to go with Sky/Plusnet or any other xDSL provider?

What about cable provider (Virgin media)? They use different technology so I assume it doesn't bother them if I have line with xDSL provider. Am I right?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 05:06:42 AM by N0STIE »

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
Re: 2 separate xDSL connections (lines) in one house
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 05:57:16 AM »

You are correct, for two separate VDSL / ADSL connections you will two separate lines.  I had a second line installed recently and you can get a discount on your second line installation from some ISP's if you sign up to a contract, I did this with PlusNet (if you decide to use PlusNet be prepared for a loooong wait).  In my case I had a spare copper line already in my house so it worked out very easy to setup the second line.

Cable is separate provision, if you have this available in your area from what I have read is definitely worth considering as I think it offers higher speed but I don't know much about it - I am sure someone else can advise on this.

C

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 10:29:38 AM »

So isn't it possible to have 2 separate xDSL connections (2 master sockets, 2 separate ISPs e.g. BT and Sky) on single phone line?

What if I say when signing up with new ISP that we don't have extisting phone line working when we actually have one? Can they charge him? Because normally when you sign up online, there is not anything about "charges for feeding new phone line" even if there is one already being used as it would push the customer off.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 10:35:56 AM »

Whatever you say and do, it's not possible to have two separate DSL connections on a single telephone line. The reason is technical, not political.
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 10:49:00 AM »

He knows ^^^^  :)

raislander

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 11:24:28 AM »

Definitely, you can have two different lines and two different xDSL services at the same properties. In fact, not so long ago, in order to increase speeds with SDSL products they used to offer for business/enterprise services bundled DSL lines. (Two/Four/Eight)

You need to request a new complete line, the one in use is not valid, and as someone said here be prepared to wait, as they need to do a site survey see if there is any copper free to get to your property.

The easiest way, in this case, would be to go for fiber. If you've got Virgin already at your cabinet/district, it's much more convenient and you don't need to order a separate telephone line. Also, it would be much faster and you could avoid potential crosstalk and noise issues.

I'd give a shot to Virgin if I were you.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 11:44:56 AM »

You may already have a 2nd spare pair going to your property. The incoming feed is often 2 pair with only 1 pair being used, for this exact reason. The price for adding a 2nd line is the same for adding a 1st. If he chooses a different ISP to you then they in no way conflict with each other. When ordering, the ISP will detect a working line at the property and ask if you want them to take over that line or install a new line. It's certainly not possible to run 2 different xDSL services on a single line.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 05:21:03 AM »

It is possible to use two ISPs with one DSL connection, this is not the same as having two DSL connections down one line, and is probably not at all what you want. (Using tunnelling such as Andrews & Arnold’s L2TP service, or using some VPN provider.)

People sometimes use this kind of thing to get better (or different) IP addressing, to get some level of security, or to get around censorship and service blocking, or to get through certain firewalls.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 04:27:41 PM »

So isn't it possible to have 2 separate xDSL connections (2 master sockets, 2 separate ISPs e.g. BT and Sky) on single phone line?

What if I say when signing up with new ISP that we don't have extisting phone line working when we actually have one? Can they charge him? Because normally when you sign up online, there is not anything about "charges for feeding new phone line" even if there is one already being used as it would push the customer off.

I'm pretty sure they'll be some small print somewhere about the usual charges for having a new line installed, if there isn't one or you want an extra line.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 11:50:47 PM »

Thank guys for some kind of explaining, really appreciated :)

When I know which ISP my brother wants to go with, I'll call them and ask how it will look like.

btw @Weaver

A&A L2TP tunneling is *bleep* for gaming, I thought it'd give me same or little lower latency to most gaming servers but what I noticed is their routing is very poor. I have visited many game servers with their L2TP and ping is +-10-15ms higher than on BT. For example I am getting around 17-20ms to frankfurt, A&A L2TP made it around 30ms... very poor. I wonder if their original routing when you have internet with them is that bad.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 04:35:32 AM »

Apologies for being off-topic: Using a tunnelling service to decrease latency is going to be very hit-and-miss I suppose and isn't something I would expect to give an improvement but you never know. It all depends on where you want to go to of course, but you're obviously stuck with the latency within your own ISP and then there's the question of the link between your ISP and the tunnel endpoint of the other service provider. You should talk to them if a route to a particular gaming server is crap, as the MD is a gamer and a notorious perfectionist so they would probably want to know.

anything