Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can't get continuous access to internet  (Read 8088 times)

johninleeds

• Just arrived
Re: Can't get continuous access to internet
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 08:07:26 PM »

Kitz

Thanks for the reply.  My own intuitive view is also that the problem lies downstream towards Tiscali.  I really don't have any faith whatsoever that I would get anywhere with their helpline which is why I went looking for a forum with intelligent members

I can get to the OpenDNS website and it looks quite a useful tool for network administrators - but can you explain what I'm looking for, what it will show me to pinpoint the problem etc

cheers

John

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 10:53:07 PM »

DNS is basically what tells your browser what address you should be going to when you point to a website.  All ISPs have DNS servers which are like a "Yellow Pages" to convert the webpage address into a number that can be read by say the browser.   Without DNS then "the web breaks".

Open DNS is a free DNS server that anyone can use instead of their own ISPs, all you need to do is set your PC to use OpenDNS rather than the your ISPs which is picked up by default.  Theres a lot of people I  know who use OpenDNS as a backup DNS even if they dont have probs with their own ISPs.

------

If you go to   https://www.opendns.com/start  it tells you step by step what to do to change your DNS.   

Click on the PC which opens another page - then click your Operating system (eg XP/Vista etc) and it opens another page with the details to put into your PC.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

johninleeds

• Just arrived
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 08:14:05 PM »

Hi - I'm back.  Other things to do at home so not had much time to look at this.  However, I was on ebay last week and picked up a Netgear DG834 wired router.  So far - continuous access to the internet.  No complaints from wife and daughter.  Solid for 2.5 hours this evening running at 2.3M which is the same as before. £30 well spent

So thanks for all suggestions, I'll try and throw a few helpful suggestions back on the forum over the next few weeks.

John ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 09:16:22 AM »

picked up a Netgear DG834 wired router.  So far - continuous access to the internet.

Excellent :)
Are things still holding?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2]

anything