Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Plusnet?  (Read 10744 times)

bob.gas

• Reg Member
Plusnet?
« on: October 15, 2016, 02:44:44 PM »

Probably too late to ask this question now  :-[ 

But I have just signed up to Plusnet (not set-up yet).
Just wondering if any of you guys have it already, and are you happy with them?
Also what's their customer service like?

Edit...
Sorry folks, looking through my posts, I see I've already had some responses from some of you about Plusnet, when I inquired about an ISP
That's the trouble with getting old 
but any future replies on the subject will be most welcomed. ;)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 05:59:46 PM by bob.gas »
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Plusnet?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 04:47:49 PM »

Great when it works - just hope you don't have any issues, the support isn't a patch on what it used to be!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 01:44:51 AM »

We just switched to Plusnet yesterday and so far its been really good! Especially for the price compared to BT.

Today the Hub One rebooted but it was good because it updated its firmware to the latest 4.7.5.1.83.8.226  :D

Before with BT with a BT "Smart" Hub I was getting 24ms ping, 60Mbs download and 15Mbs upload.

With Plusnet and the Hub One I am now getting 6ms ping, 65Mbs download and 19Mbs upload  ;D My line was probably reset and I was took off any interleaving the Smart Hub caused but also now I have matching chipsets Hub One with ECI cabinet.

Also something I tested earlier on was Plusnets "Prioritisation". Normally with BT when I download a large file / game or uploaded something it would lag when I am in a Skype call, now with Plusnet it does not.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 05:36:05 AM »

I started using PLusNet on my "other" connection 2 months ago and I have been satisfied with the connection speed in general and the price is relatively good.  The customer service, on the other hand, has in my limited experience been awful - they take ages to respond to any tickets raised and good luck trying to get anyone on the phone, the last time I called them I was advised that the queue was 45 minutes.

If I was starting again I would pay more and go elsewhere, this experience has re-affirmed the importance of being prepared to pay for responsive customer service.  I also have a Zen connection - they always answer the phone, I rarely have to wait very long and their staff are knowledgeable and friendly and usually resolve any issue relatively quickly.

If I have any serious technical issues with PlusNet I doubt it will be resolved quickly, fortunately for me as I have 2 connections this wouldn't result in a total outage however if I only had a single connection I definitely wouldn't use PLusNet based on my experience so far.

Chunks

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 07:49:28 AM »

There are a lot of Plusnet users on this forum, our leader included, so they must be doing something right.  :)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 08:21:09 AM »

As the financial ads say, "past performance is no guide...". but I was introduced several years ago by  by my son-i-l. He and my daughter use it quite heavily for their employments, and have 2 sons with own laptops. My bro-i-l is a user refugee from TT, and my son's a user too.

Lastly the large church I attend has it too.

From all those I have heard no serious complaints.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 08:22:40 AM »

I'm a long term user of PN having joined in 2003, yes they could do a lot of things better, but overall I'm happy with the broadband service and price. I haven't had need to use CS for a long time though. We also have a business connection with them at work.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

dambuilder

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 08:47:02 AM »

Been with them just over 12 months and have no complaints. I use my own hardware (Draytek Modem and ASUS Router) and the connection is rock solid. We are fairly heavy users (downloads in the region of 1 to 2TB per month) and get consistent speeds at any time of day.
Never needed CS so can't comment.
Hope it goes well for you.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 10:40:28 AM »

Connection & speeds are fine, no probs there. 

Support not so good atm - had to take something to the forum as my ticket appeared to get lost in the system, so started looking at other ISPs with 100% intention of migrating.   
I am in limbo atm though as got a phone call last week.  I noticed that a couple of others on the forum had a similar problem as me with their billing during the Aug/Sep period.  It's been escalated and the others refunded.  I'm being guinea pig to see if it rights automatically this month without manual intervention.  Had a long convo about current waiting times which will definitely be fed to higher beings.  Judging my an email on Fri it looks like it has..  so we shall see. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 10:56:33 AM »

Ticket raised Tuesday 20 Sep 2016 about sporadic issues with VoIP that I thought was either traffic management or congestion.

They initially treated it as a connection fault and came back telling me as the connection had been up solid for 25 days with no drop (my initial report said my connection was solid). In fact they are still relying on the radius log - there's an issue with my central heating and I usually get a loss of sync around 12:30 pm every day. God knows how many times to has been pointed out to them that the radius log does not give the full picture!

On 12th October I finally see at the end of a test report

Summary - Potential issue with VLAN utilisation, will raise.

and on 14th

As per our conversation, I have been in touch with Openreach who have advised of a capacity issue at the local exchange. This essentially means the equipment cannot handle the amount of traffic, so BT are looking into either spreading the load across existing equipment or installing extra.

The current expected completed date of this work is 15/10/16.

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »

Reporting higher will, from previous experience, have no effect whatsoever
Support whether by tickets (now effectively dead), chat or phone is abysmal and don't even think about faults as there is presently a 5 - Yes Five - day wait for a reported fault to be picked up which is extremely annoying when the fault is loss of broadband
Despite having a stable connection and a nice deal I am seriously considering moving when the deal runs out as I don't have a sensible alternative (lousy mobile signal). They have about 14 months to show some significant improvement
Jim
Plusnet

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 11:44:59 AM »

Interesting!!

Thanks for all your input guys :)
Some good, some not so good.
ironically, one of the reasons I decided to join PN, was because I'd read their customer service is good, I must have read OLD reviews.
Hopefully I won't need to call them  :fingers:

Apart from  "dambuilder", do you all use the PN router or not?
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 12:15:47 PM »

I'd read their customer service is good, I must have read OLD reviews.

They were -  they even won awards for it a few years back.   Something appears to have gone wrong recently. :/
It was meant to get better when they opened a new call centre in Leeds, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference, and things have slid and support times increased. 
They have supposedly just taken on a pile of new staff.. but the problem with that is it takes time to train them and increases the likely-hood of getting a numpty type reply. 

The likes of Jelv, Jim and myself have been with them practically since they started doing adsl (although I went to Be* for a few years for something called Annex_m), so we remember the days were once upon a time most of their support staff were extremely knowledgeable and on a par with the likes of Zen so we notice the difference. At the end of the day, I guess you gets what you pays for.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 01:00:32 PM »

I was with them before ADSL (on Connect dial-up) - I joined 6 Nov 2001.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2016, 01:08:35 PM »

Apart from  "dambuilder", do you all use the PN router or not?
No, FWLIW.
Pages: [1] 2 3