Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ZyXel VMG8324-B10A - Setup and DHCP Question  (Read 6369 times)

JamesK

• Reg Member
ZyXel VMG8324-B10A - Setup and DHCP Question
« on: October 12, 2016, 01:03:56 PM »

Hi All,

I got hold of a ZyXel modem to have as a standby in case of failure of my HG612. Today I decided to swap them over. I was quite surprised that the sync speed was lower than that of the HG612, I was hoping it would at least match the HG612. My stats are on MDWS for anyone that's interested.

When it connected the DSL light on the modem has remained a steady orange. Is this expected?

Since connecting it to the phone line it seems the DHCP server is no longer working for devices attached on the LAN side. I'd set-up the ZyXel in isolation, so had updated to the latest firmware, and configured it as a modem as per Kitz helpful guide ahead of time and this worked fine. The PC obtained an IP address from the ZyXel DHCP server without a problem. Setup is as follows (click images to enlarge).

However, now the DHCP server will not issue an IP address to anything connected to LAN2,LAN3 or wireless and I can't understand why. I've tried stopping and restarting the DHCP server, but it's had no effect. A wireshark scan shows my PC sending a DHCP broadcast but getting nothing in response. Static IP on the PC works fine, but I'm struggling to understand why DHCP would stop functioning now it's connected to the phone line.
Any ideas or am I doing something stupid?
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: ZyXel VMG8324-B10A - Setup and DHCP Question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 01:26:40 PM »

You've set it up in bridge mode, which is for using with a separate router.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 02:05:32 PM »

Sorry, should've been clearer... that's the intentional config I wanted. I'm using an Asus RT-AC87U as my main router. This is being used as a straight swap for my HG612.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 02:20:23 PM »

so your rt-ac87u will need to be your dhcp server. The 8324 will just be a modem. You will be able to access the modem console/menus from whatever IP address you have given it. Just connect the router via its wan port to port 1 on the 8324. Configure the wan port on the 87u to whatever settings your ISP needs and you should be good to go. In bridge mode the 8324 will not be your dhcp server.

orange light is connected and up. The zyxel will need to be in bridge mode if you are using your own router, pic of my sky  bridge mode settings attached
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 02:25:58 PM by skyeci »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 02:47:16 PM »

When it connected the DSL light on the modem has remained a steady orange. Is this expected?

Its green for ADSL
Orange for VDSL
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 03:13:04 PM »

Just looked at your stats.  Previously the HG612 was sycing at 42630 and SNRM 5.9dB.  The Zyxel has come up at 39890 with SNRm of 6.5dB, so that is going to account for some of the loss of speed.

I happen to notice quite recently from my own line that target SNRm no longer appears to be 6dB, but 6.3dB.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Im on an ECI cab
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 03:28:12 PM »

I understand the set-up on the external router side of things and that's all working as expected with the router connected to LAN1 on the ZyXel.

However, I want to hook up my Raspberry Pi or another PC to either LAN2 or LAN3 (or ZyXel wireless) in order to grab DSLstats from the modem. The DHCP server on the ZyXel will (should) still be running for anything that connects to LAN2, LAN3 or Wireless. I've deliberately set the IP address of the modem to 192.168.2.1 and altered the DHCP server range accordingly.

While I can easily set-up a static IP on one of those devices to connect to the modem, and that is currently working, I'm struggling to understand why the ZyXel DHCP server isn't allocating an address automatically when it was doing it fine during the off-line set-up (while in Bridge mode, not router mode)

When I set-up the modem, the first thing I did was reset it to factory defaults, and then configured as per Kitz guide, and changed the local IP address and DHCP range. This morning before swapping out the HG612, I turned it on, connected a cable from my PC to LAN2, and connected to the Web GUI so that I could put the 15 firmware on it. I had no issues with that, the ZyXel DHCP server issued an IP address to my PC no problem at all. The ZyXel was still in bridge mode, and I know connecting to LAN1 wouldn't work as that's part of the Bridge group. The firmware updated fine, checked I could login after the update, and all was still well.

So I'm struggling to understand why the DHCP server would now not be working.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 04:17:57 PM »

Just looked at your stats.  Previously the HG612 was sycing at 42630 and SNRM 5.9dB.  The Zyxel has come up at 39890 with SNRm of 6.5dB, so that is going to account for some of the loss of speed.

I happen to notice quite recently from my own line that target SNRm no longer appears to be 6dB, but 6.3dB.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Im on an ECI cab

5.8 to 6 it seems on my eci line...

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 06:59:11 PM »

Yes for quite a long time - I'm on a Huawei cab.  I've been thinking for a while of going back to the HG612 just to see if it's a Zyxel 'feature' but haven't got around to it.

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 08:42:32 PM »

It's always been 6.3dB here on upstream and downstream, all firmwares from 8C0 to 15C0.

ECI cabinet.

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 05:35:08 PM »

Yes for quite a long time - I'm on a Huawei cab.  I've been thinking for a while of going back to the HG612 just to see if it's a Zyxel 'feature' but haven't got around to it.

I finally got around to it after the Zyxel had a hissy fit.  Initially it kept chucking one laptop off the network, but when I logged into the Zyxel nearly every setting was corrupt and I couldn’t reset anything,

So I hooked up a Netgear WNDR3700v4 router that I had in the cupboard to the HG612 that I’ve held onto – and my SNRM is still 6.3

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 12:44:53 PM »

>> I hooked up a Netgear WNDR3700v4 router that I had in the cupboard to the HG612 that I’ve held onto – and my SNRM is still 6.3

Thanks for confirming.   I have seen 6dB a couple times, but mostly its 6.3.
-----

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 07:14:16 PM »

My Snr on ECI has been on 11db for ages :-\ but it could be due to my line being capped at 40Mb.
Uptime is 53 Days
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:17:05 PM by parkdale »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 08:00:58 PM »

Yes, it will be, your attainable is 49 so you have plenty of headroom.

anything