Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What is two working days (for BT/BTOR)?  (Read 2404 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
What is two working days (for BT/BTOR)?
« on: October 12, 2016, 10:11:37 AM »

I wasn't sure where to post this, but this section seemed as a good as any, for reasons that will become clear as you read on....

Not so long ago, being a BT retail phone customer I received a nice friendly email saying phone problems would now be fixed "a day quicker". After a bit of investigating it "seemed" that the fix target was being reduced from 3 to 2 working days. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I presumed that was a BTOR change being passed down through their "sister company".

As (bad) luck would have it last week my phone line went dead, no dial tone, no incoming calls and callers just heard normal ringing.
Didn't notice at first (well SWMBO had been told by someone who couldn't get an answer but didn't tell me!  :no: ) so finally reported it early on Wednesday morning. Was given a target fix of Friday 5pm.
(I won't bore you with the horrors of just trying to report a phone fault to BT, but I was NOT a happy bunny!  >:D )
Broadband was still working so my first guess was a simple exchange issue.

Anyway BT fault analysis came back saying it was near my property (showing a picture highlighting a pole connected to a house). And BT told me they would send an engineer if I agreed that if the fault was due to damage in my property I would pay them some money.  :'(
No choice really, so I waited, and waited, and waited.....

Meanwhile broadband had been unreliable and I checked it; connected at well under half normal speeds  :( . So probably is a physical line issue...

After two working days (and a bit) just after lunch on Friday I contacted BT by online chat to ask why they had exceeded the fix target and what was going on. I had no updates despite supplying email and mobile contact details.

They said it was on schedule to be fixed and the target was 3 days anyway, not 2.
Hmmm. It looks like some at least of BT (retails) support staff aren't aware of the change. And the 2-day target seems to be "end of the second working day AFTER the fault is reported".

A couple of hours later I noticed the router resyncing and found a dial tone. Soon after a BT engineer rang on the landline to say it was fixed.
He was at the roadside cabinet which is about half way between me and the exchange. For a long time this was the ONLY non-FTTC cabinet on our exchange but was upgraded a few months ago.
I asked him what the problem was; he said broken wire, looked like it was damaged when new equipment/rack for FTTC was installed/connected. (That's my excuse for posting it here  :angel: ).

(I subsequently had another battle over several days to get my profile at PlusNet sorted out. The BT IP profile reset immediately but PN kept throttling me and their support people were clueless despite me being very specific about the problem)

Back on topic. So what do we think the target fix window actually is for BTOR? And has anyone else suffered from fibre installs messing up innocent bystanders on other lines?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: What is two working days (for BT/BTOR)?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 03:40:43 PM »

I'm really confused about this, and no help at all. Some possible help from other posters in this thread, if you dig through it
    http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18220.msg329710.html

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 03:53:14 PM »

Openreach policy for phone lines is :

Clear by 23:59 day after next, Monday to Friday, excluding public and bank holidays.
For example, report Tuesday, clear Thursday.

Obviously it depends on how quick the SP reports to Openreach and they may have their own SLA on top of and separate to that.

subsequently had another battle over several days to get my profile at PlusNet sorted out.

Similar here, PN profile wasnt following the IP profile.  I think its not working as it should.  I left it for several days before contacting them even tried a resync to see if that triggered it but no.   
Battle was more getting through to someone.  I killed 2 phone batteries whilst waiting (not their fault that my phones weren't fully charged but annoying when youve been waiting 40+ mins to get through).  Ive seen a few people on their forums recently having to request manual updates.

However when I eventually got through to someone on their chat system, it was done immediately. 
I was quite explicit in what I wanted and went pre-armed with my PN profile, IPprofile, sync rate and throughput speed.
Edited version to remove personal line and pw info

Me: Hi My Plusnet profile doesnt appear to be updating in line with the BTw IP profile.
I am syncing at 80Mbps, but speeds are limited to 68Mbps.  Plusnet Line speed is set at 73.2
Rep:
I can look into this, can I just take the first and last character of your password please?
Rep:
No it's not :( and
Sync Status In Sync Downstream Speed 79.8 Mbps Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
That's the exchange data :)
Rep:
I've adjusted the connection profile to match.
Me: It should have updated automatically a few days ago, but didnt
Rep:
Also I will just throw in, you're quite knowledgeable on this sort of thing, we don't see that a lot :P
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 03:57:51 PM »

@Weaver - Our posts crossed. Simple version is here

Service benefits
Maintenance Level target fix times
Level 1
Clear by 23:59 day after next, Monday to
Friday, excluding public and bank holidays.
Level 2
Clear by 23:59 next day, Monday to Saturday,
excluding public and bank holidays. For
example, report Tuesday, clear Wednesday.
Level Business 2 Plus
Prioritised on the day, clear by 23:59 next day,
Monday to Saturday, excluding public and
bank holidays. For example, report Tuesday,
clear Wednesday.
Level 3
Report 13.00, clear by 23:59 same day. Report
after 13:00 clear by 12:59 next day, seven days
a week, including public and bank holiday.
Level 4
Clear within six hours, any time of day, any day
of the year.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 04:25:24 PM »

@kitz - I’m wondering if that BT document is PSTN faults-only?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 04:42:10 PM »

Not so long ago, being a BT retail phone customer I received a nice friendly email saying phone problems would now be fixed "a day quicker". After a bit of investigating it "seemed" that the fix target was being reduced from 3 to 2 working days. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I presumed that was a BTOR change being passed down through their "sister company".

I believe BT Retail decided to pay Openreach for a higher SLA for their domestic customers then they previously received as one way to differentate themselves from their retail competition (they have been trying to place more emphasis on service rather than price)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 04:47:01 PM »

@HPSauce - And should each of us be asking about Openreach or BTW’s time-to-fix+priority deals, depending on the ISP and even possibly on the kind of fault?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 06:26:28 PM »

@kitz - I’m wondering if that BT document is PSTN faults-only?

Yep... Well yes as far as you are is concerned.  It also applies to LLU PSTN and GEA FTTC (used by LLU providers). 

I think I mostly answered your question here, before I saw this post

The document you linked to refers to Openreach WLR ie phone line and/or LLU and GEA FTTC.   AAISP will buy WLR direct from Openreach

For the broadband element its different, as for non LLU its provided by BTw so you need to check out this document.

I dont know which level AAISP's enhanced care transpires to (either class 4 or 14) for that you'd have to ask them.
Standard care for everyone else is

Yet another reason for splitting off Retail rather than Openreach.  Stupid, stupid buying some aspects from one company and others from elsewhere.  As I keep saying it would be far better to merge Openreach and BTw so that all ISPs have an equal footing and buy from one place rather than faffing around.   The LLU SPs dont care as they deal direct with Openreach whatever.  Its only more complicated for the non-LLU based SPs.
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 01:26:05 PM »

Openreach policy for phone lines is :

Clear by 23:59 day after next, Monday to Friday, excluding public and bank holidays.

Obviously it depends on how quick the SP reports to Openreach and they may have their own SLA on top of and separate to that.
Thanks for that Kitz.
So reporting Wednesday morning (assuming it's passed to BTOR quickly) means clear by 23:59 Friday; 5pm Friday which was BT Retails target precedes that.  ???
(Still more than 2 working days in my book, but hardly a surprise)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 01:31:39 PM »

Similar here, PN profile wasnt following the IP profile.  I think its not working as it should.  I left it for several days before contacting them even tried a resync to see if that triggered it but no.  Battle was more getting through to someone.

However when I eventually got through to someone on their chat system, it was done immediately. 

I tried chat and didn't really get anywhere, though I did get a ticket raised as a result. That was replied to with all the standard diagnosis (unplug everything, test socket etc. etc.) so I replied to that explaining what the problem was, carefully. Someone picked that up and started changing other (irrelevant) stuff so I had another go. Eventually (after 2 days) an agent actually READ WHAT I HAD WRITTEN, understood it and magically my speed increased.  :lol: