Broadband Related > ADSL Issues

Lost Connection & download speed

(1/4) > >>

RobN:
Last Friday at about 4pm I lost my broadband connection for about ½ hour,up until then I was consistently getting around 6Mbps,after the connection was re established I can only get 4 – 4.8Mbps.The sync rate before the loss was 7616Kps but after I was getting variable rates of between 5300 – 6600Kps during Saturday & Sunday.I checked my IP profile which was 4500Kps,I can’t remember what my profile was before.

How long will it take before I can get 6Mbps again?

Should I leave my router on continuously or try re booting to see if I can get a higher  sync rate?

roseway:
Hi and welcome.

There must be a reason for the problem, and there are many possibilities. If it was a temporary problem which has now cleared, you would need to reboot the router (or at least force a reconnection) to get your connection speed up again. After that it can take up to 5 days for the IP profile to recover.

If a reboot doesn't result in a higher connection speed, then the problem is probably still there and you'll need to do a bit of detective work to establish the cause. There are some tips for diagnosing connection problems here.

RobN:
I rebooted last night and got 5400,this morning 5962 and just now 6080.

Will it creep up or should I be getting 7616 as before?

I have ordered some XF-1e ADSL filters to see if that makes any difference.The ones I was using came with the router

roseway:
That sounds like a fairly normal variation between night and day. To be honest, I rather doubt if the filters are the problem, but better quality ones like you've ordered are probably worth having anyway.

Your connection speed might gradually creep up if the problem is caused by water getting into a joint in the wires somewhere, and it's now drying out. But if that's the cause you can be pretty sure that it will return. :(

I think you need to do some investigation as I suggested, to see if you can nail down the cause.

RobN:
I'm pretty certain it's not water.

The loss of the connection is the first I've had in many months

Perhaps I should explain the events that happened:-

Thunderstorm Friday AM knocked power out

I did a speed test (Speedtest.net) at 2.54pm which still gave me 5334Kps

Intermittent ADSL connection for ½ hour at approx 4pm after which connection speed no higher than 4800Kps

Phone line had a lot of hiss on Friday and Saturday but by Sunday this had cleared.

The max sync speed I’ve been able to get since Friday is around 6600Kps before I was always (as far as I can tell) getting 7616Kps,house is only about 380m from exchange

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version