Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lost Connection & download speed  (Read 6066 times)

RobN

Lost Connection & download speed
« on: April 14, 2008, 03:23:07 PM »

Last Friday at about 4pm I lost my broadband connection for about ½ hour,up until then I was consistently getting around 6Mbps,after the connection was re established I can only get 4 – 4.8Mbps.The sync rate before the loss was 7616Kps but after I was getting variable rates of between 5300 – 6600Kps during Saturday & Sunday.I checked my IP profile which was 4500Kps,I can’t remember what my profile was before.

How long will it take before I can get 6Mbps again?

Should I leave my router on continuously or try re booting to see if I can get a higher  sync rate?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Lost Connection & download speed
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 03:55:17 PM »

Hi and welcome.

There must be a reason for the problem, and there are many possibilities. If it was a temporary problem which has now cleared, you would need to reboot the router (or at least force a reconnection) to get your connection speed up again. After that it can take up to 5 days for the IP profile to recover.

If a reboot doesn't result in a higher connection speed, then the problem is probably still there and you'll need to do a bit of detective work to establish the cause. There are some tips for diagnosing connection problems here.
  Eric

RobN

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 04:09:39 PM »

I rebooted last night and got 5400,this morning 5962 and just now 6080.

Will it creep up or should I be getting 7616 as before?

I have ordered some XF-1e ADSL filters to see if that makes any difference.The ones I was using came with the router

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 04:53:37 PM »

That sounds like a fairly normal variation between night and day. To be honest, I rather doubt if the filters are the problem, but better quality ones like you've ordered are probably worth having anyway.

Your connection speed might gradually creep up if the problem is caused by water getting into a joint in the wires somewhere, and it's now drying out. But if that's the cause you can be pretty sure that it will return. :(

I think you need to do some investigation as I suggested, to see if you can nail down the cause.
  Eric

RobN

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 08:48:25 PM »

I'm pretty certain it's not water.

The loss of the connection is the first I've had in many months

Perhaps I should explain the events that happened:-

Thunderstorm Friday AM knocked power out

I did a speed test (Speedtest.net) at 2.54pm which still gave me 5334Kps

Intermittent ADSL connection for ½ hour at approx 4pm after which connection speed no higher than 4800Kps

Phone line had a lot of hiss on Friday and Saturday but by Sunday this had cleared.

The max sync speed I’ve been able to get since Friday is around 6600Kps before I was always (as far as I can tell) getting 7616Kps,house is only about 380m from exchange
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 08:34:42 AM by RobN »

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 08:45:06 AM »

It's sounds as if the storm has caused your 'target SNR' to be increased.
Increasing the target, reduces your line speed and is done if the 'exchange' thinks it needs to help stabilise your line.

The default target is 6db, then it rises in 3db increments (9,12,15db).  If your line remains stable then it 'should' get lowered over the coming weeks - again in 3db jumps. 

Unfortunately lots of people have trouble with this decreasing and sometimes manual intervention is required.

If this has happened to you the first thing you need to do is wait a few weeks to see if your target SNR changes.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 11:48:16 AM »

The storm is a strong possibility. maby something nearby has recived a surge down the mains and started producing emf noise which your broadband connection can hear.

If this is the case then hopefully the offending item has either recoverd or not around any more

RobN

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 07:38:19 AM »

I am still unable to sync at the max 7616Kps,which I could always do before

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 09:37:46 AM »

I am still unable to sync at the max 7616Kps,which I could always do before

Please see my previous post for my explanation...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 05:57:32 PM »

I agree with badger - it sounds like the storm has perhaps caused your Target SNR to be increased which will lower the maximum rate at which you can sync at.

Unfortunately we have no way of knowing what your Target SNR is - but we can make a pretty good guess if you can post your line stats showing what your SNR Margin was immediately after a resync.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

RobN

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 12:37:05 PM »

The sync speed is gradually improving (currently 6816) and so is my profile (currently 5500kps)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 11:44:01 AM »

>> he sync speed is gradually improving (currently 6816) and so is my profile (currently 5500kps)

Thats good news - and hopefully soon the IPprofile should rise to 6000 since 6816 sync is the lower limit for the next band up :)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

RobN

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 06:47:07 PM »

Bad news.

I was syncing in the low 7000's when about half an hour ago we had a thunderstorm (the only one in the country looking at the metoffice rainfall radar).
The connection became intermittent and now I'm only syncing in the low 3000's :'(

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »

just noticed the comment about the hissing on the line,

questions here, was this constant or just while the sync light was flashing on the router/modem ?

This ones tricky but can you describe the his or compair it to another common noise ?

And do you have the noise now ? if so is it still there after unplugging other appliances from your phone sockets one by one (including the router at some point) andif its still there try a friend/ neighbours phone which is known to be ok at the moment.

RobN

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 06:59:15 AM »

It was a constant white noise type of sound.The noise when after a day or so
Pages: [1] 2

anything