Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: and then there were two  (Read 26784 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
and then there were two
« on: October 08, 2016, 04:18:33 PM »

Driving past my cabinet the other day I saw a large surrounding area barriered off. Returning later I found that in addition to the cab having a pod, a further fibre cabinet had been installed. As you'll see Mrs PCP must ahe been puttting it around judging from the second offspring. :) Has this sort of thing been reported before?

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: and then there were two
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 05:03:59 PM »

Every PCP in my area with 2 Fibre cabs has 1 of these pods. I think it's just an extension to hold the additional copper ties for the 2nd cab. 
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 06:11:42 PM »

I think it's just an extension to hold the additional copper ties for the 2nd cab.

You are absolutely correct.  :)

What the second image discloses is interesting -- an Huawei SmartAX MA5603T equipped cabinet on the left and an ECI Hi-FOCuS M41 equipped cabinet on the right, both associated with the same PCP.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 06:44:37 PM »

What the second image discloses is interesting -- an Huawei SmartAX MA5603T equipped cabinet on the left and an ECI Hi-FOCuS M41 equipped cabinet on the right, both associated with the same PCP.

Exactly the same thing went through my mind.   First time Ive seen that.

Thought I'd seen it around here, but further hunting revealed another PCP across the road from and on a corner.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 07:41:38 PM »

That's actually encouraging to see. I always assumed the way the element managers worked that they couldn't be mixed like that. My ECI cabinet is full and the PCP serves over 900 properties. Last engineer I spoke to guessed they would add another fibre cab in the near future. Hopefully they have completely given up on ECI and we'll get a Huawei.

If that happens I won't migrate ISP but rather cease my service and then make a new order in the hope of being provisioned on the newer Huawei. Does that sound possible? I'd guess a migration would keep me on the same cab/port, but cancelling my service would see that free port being used up.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 09:38:31 PM »

It's difficult to predict what might occur. For example in, say, a month's time renluop might add a new post to this thread saying that the original ECI cabinet has now been removed . . .

If that happens I won't migrate ISP but rather cease my service and then make a new order in the hope of being provisioned on the newer Huawei. Does that sound possible? I'd guess a migration would keep me on the same cab/port, but cancelling my service would see that free port being used up.

Hmm . . . If you really want to go down that route and, of course, it all depends upon what is subsequently installed to increase G.993.2 capacity via your PCP then it might be safer to have a new line and service installed. Once that has been done (and the xdslcmd info --vendor query returns BDCM) then cease the original line.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 11:57:05 PM »

Hmm . . . If you really want to go down that route and, of course, it all depends upon what is subsequently installed to increase G.993.2 capacity via your PCP then it might be safer to have a new line and service installed. Once that has been done (and the xdslcmd info --vendor query returns BDCM) then cease the original line.
:thumbs:
Sounds perfect.

never thought about the possibility of the ECI cab going. Area might be part of LR-VDSL2 trial or might require vectoring. I actually just noticed the new 384 line capacity on the MA5603T. Possibly better to swap out the ECI than add an additional cabinet if they only need a little more capacity. I wouldn't mind that being some new policy! keep us updated renluop
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 12:09:03 AM by j0hn »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 12:14:35 AM »

I actually just noticed the new 384 line capacity on the MA5603T.

Yes there are new, higher port density, line-cards available from Huawei. (Up from 48-port to 64-port.)

The SmartAX MA5603T can still take a maximum of six higher port density line cards. The only minor problem is that the space available in the right hand side of the cabinet, where the tie-cables are terminated and the low-pass filters reside, needs to be enlarged.

Hence the relatively recent appearance of the following --

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 11:36:32 AM »

For simple moi! How may pairs in the Huawei? If the ECI were removed, would the resultant net capacity be sufficiently augmented for the cost?

If I can, I'll be attempting to calculate how many premises in each post code are attached to that cabinet, just for my own amusement.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 06:42:42 PM »

The big, MA5603T equipped, Huawei cabinet has the capacity for 288 lines (unexpanded) or 384 lines (expanded) whilst the M41 equipped, ECI cabinet, has the capacity for 256 lines.

Reference: cabinet capacity.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 06:21:09 PM »

Has there been any developments here? Are both cabinets still in situ and if so is the Huawei active?

My oversubscribed ECI is suddenly taking orders, and a whole bunch of cones and barriers have appeared. Roadworks scheduled by OpenReach between 11th-17th at the location of my cabinet. I'm due to migrate on 18th but will likely cease the line and order a  new service if a Huawei cabinet pops up during those works.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 06:31:19 PM »

Haven't looked at the site for some while, but whereas for months the checker has been negative, fibre is available once again. The estimates look from memory lower than before.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 08:15:34 PM »

A cabinet local to me with an existing ECI cabinet appeared on Roadworks.org showing a new cabinet scheduled to be installed, and checking on the Wholesale checker showed a waiting list in operation. Cones appeared, but when I went to look there was just fresh tarmac by the wall, seems like something stopped them installing the actual cab. Would have been interesting to see if it was a Huawei or ECI they were installing.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 10:46:40 PM »

I know of a place with a ECI cabinet and an large Huawei, was done recently P8 on the Hemsworth Exchange the cabinet passes 473 properties.

I'll get a picture when I have a chance.

I checked an address and their is a waiting list, demand must be pretty high for them to be installing a Huawei SmartAX MA5603T.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 10:49:04 PM »

I think there may be some regs how long a hole on the high/pathway can be left with an open hole. At least that was the case when BT had to repair my line, and there was a delay.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

anything