Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: HG612 - No DSL Light Or Connection  (Read 17037 times)

rustybob

Re: HG612 - No DSL Light Or Connection
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2016, 06:55:35 PM »

Connect the HG612 to the incoming line, have nothing connected to the LAN1 & LAN2 ports and power up the HG612.

Push and keep held the reset button . . . 30 seconds, if you can do it. Leave the HG612 alone for, say, the next five minutes.

Disconnect it from the incoming line and connect the LAN2 port to a computer. With the computer configured to have a static IPv4 address in the 192.168.1.X subnet, attempt to access the HG612 at the 192.168.1.1 address.

Back in  :drunk:

Now, back to trying to get a connection. Tried everything that everyone's put and more and there's still no green light. It doesn't even come on and flash then go off, there's nothing?

Could it simply be that it won't work my existing connection or is this looking more and more like a faulty 612?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2016, 07:08:27 PM »

Faulty modem? You have been pretty thorough.

A cheap-but-excellent DLink DSL-320B-Z1 modem - just works. (ADSLx only - Not for VDSL2.)

It is essential for security and sanity to configure it as a straight modem-only device, not as a modem-router. This is because it's full of nasty bugs and security holes if allowed to be a router.

Configuring it properly is very easy, we can help. If you buy a cheap one from the Andrews & Arnold shop they come configured safely for you, so that saves a small job.
    http://aa.net.uk/broadband-accessories.html (AA Shop)

** Important: however, iirc, as AA ship them (possibly by default) the bitswap enable tick box is unticked. It's essential that you tick this for decent performance and reliability, unless this is just a bug in the UI, but I notice that user G.DMT tested it. I complained to AA about this iirc but they didn't take any notice of me.

The Draytek 130 is an excellent modem if you have a short line. Not for long lines. Just plug in, zero config for me. I forget which ISP you're using ?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:40:11 PM by Weaver »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2016, 07:15:14 PM »

@Weaver from the OP
I've just purchased the item from ebay in preparation for a switch to fibre and am planning on using it with an ASUS RT-AC68U router. Before switching, I thought I'd give it a go on my current, normal broadband connection to check everything was OK. Not sure what to call what I'm wanting to do, but basically I want to plug my phone line into the router, an ethernet cable to either port 1 or 2 and connect to the internet, which I'm hoping is possible?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2016, 09:49:47 PM »

Back in  :drunk:

:thumbs:

Now, back to trying to get a connection. Tried everything that everyone's put and more and there's still no green light. It doesn't even come on and flash then go off, there's nothing?

The Kitz wiki pages, describing the GUI of the HG612, was written by me and used the information from the device which I was then using to provide a G.992.3 connection. I've quickly looked through it all and can see nothing amiss.

b*cat is puzzled.  ???
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2016, 09:57:44 PM »

Is ADSL2 available to the OP?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2016, 10:06:08 PM »

Is ADSL2 available to the OP?

:shrug2: 

Let's just add the comment that we hope r*bob will adjust that setting as appropriate. I'm always cautious with an "ALL" configuration option. If it was me, I would set it to G.992.1 (G.Dmt), G.992.3 (ADSL2) or G.992.5 (ADSL2+).

rustybob

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2016, 10:09:25 PM »

So, been trying literally every configuration I can think of on the HG612 and it's still no go  :no:. I've even flashed with older FW and had the master socket faceplate off so I could connect with a microfilter to the test socket. Again, the existing router (an old Speedtouch 585V6) connects without a problem whereas the HG612 shows no DSL  :wall:

As I said earlier, the unit's second hand from ebay and, unless there's something none of us are aware of, I'm pretty much at the point where I think it's faulty  >:(

Just one last thought, before I order another (or AN Other suitable modem if you guys have any good alternatives you can suggest), is it possible that my existing ADSL is sent in such a way that the 585 recognises the DSL but the 612 doesn't. From what I've read, I pretty much think that's a 'no' but I'm no expert on stuff like this.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2016, 10:12:29 PM »

The only things I can think of offhand are - which wire into which port on the modem?
- is it set to use inner or outer pair?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2016, 10:15:05 PM »

I would suspect not. But it is difficult to say . . .

Are you able to show us the pertinent configuration of the Speedtouch 585V6? It's a device I have not previously used, so I am unfamiliar with its capabilities/configuration.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2016, 10:34:29 PM »

@rustybob I would say it's a ‘no’ too.

Draytek 130 is a decent bit of kit for VDSL. (Just a bit of a disappointment on my ultra-long former ADSL1 line.)

ZyXel make some excellent modems for this job. Others will have experience.

rustybob

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2016, 10:39:32 PM »

Thanks Weaver  :drink:

The only things I can think of offhand are - which wire into which port on the modem?
- is it set to use inner or outer pair?

Not really sure what that means? But, if you're referring to my wiring, I've had a quick look in my outside box and there's a few wires coming in from the drop cable but only two connected which look like Orange and White. The cable going out of the box is made up of two twisted pairs. The first pair is solid orange and white/orange, the second solid blue and white/blue. The solid orange connects to the drop cable orange and the white/blue connects to the drop cable blue.

I've then traced these to the master socket and the orange cable is connected to B and the white/blue connected to A. There's also an extension from the mastersocket which uses terminals 2 and 5. Terminal 2 has and orange cable and terminal 5 and white/blue cable.

This was all installed by someone my ISP sent around a year ago as I had quite a few connection problems. Since then there's been no problems

The modem is being connected directly to the master socket using the RJ11/RJ45 port at the top.

With regard to the 585, I'll grab some screen shots as post them shortly.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 10:45:19 PM by kitzuser87430 »

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2016, 10:41:52 PM »

Hi

I hope you don't mind, and I read this thread this morning but work kept me busy

There is 1 thing which can give this symptom, and that's the power supply.

From memory, early batches of hg612 power supplies were defective

It's just a thought, although mine is still going strong, I have had to replace clients which bt supplied replacements

Many thanks

John

rustybob

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2016, 11:05:55 PM »

Hey burakucat, here's the pictures for the 585.

Hi

I hope you don't mind, and I read this thread this morning but work kept me busy

There is 1 thing which can give this symptom, and that's the power supply.

From memory, early batches of hg612 power supplies were defective

It's just a thought, although mine is still going strong, I have had to replace clients which bt supplied replacements

Many thanks

John

I think it's one of the latest. It's a 3B and had FW10 pre installed.

@kitzuser87430 - ??? not really sure what all that means but, here's my exchange: https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SLCD

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2016, 11:09:50 PM »

The problematic power bricks were black. these were replaced by white ones.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:14:35 PM by Dray »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5