Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Which ISP To Go For (FTTC)  (Read 9834 times)

keyap

Re: Which ISP To Go For (FTTC)
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2016, 08:33:07 AM »

Quick update - Origin have advised my brother that they be using Vodafone's LLU at his exchange. Thought it was worth posting as I'd read something previously about them being a Plusnet re-seller which I thought meant this wouldn't be the case.

Not sure if this is good or bad?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2016, 11:19:23 AM »

Its correct.  I think I said about a week ago that they have been busy expanding their network and use various wholesale methods... and said they used LLU here too.

Should in theory be no problems with them using vodafone LLU as they also have been busy upgrading all their backhauls.  Also as they are buying wholesale should have a separate VLAN in the same way that say TTB 'LLU' for resellers etc although Im not certain on that. 

One of the things that I asked was that with Vodafone using 'Standard' DLM profile, (I'd been sailing a bit too close a few weeks ago and am also still getting the 10-11am error spike, and for a several days a few weeks ago,  I would have been red if on standard).  They said that they use Standard by default, but they do have direct access with Openreach and can get this changed to Speed even on their resold products.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

keyap

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2016, 04:50:49 PM »

One of the things that I asked was that with Vodafone using 'Standard' DLM profile, (I'd been sailing a bit too close a few weeks ago and am also still getting the 10-11am error spike, and for a several days a few weeks ago,  I would have been red if on standard).  They said that they use Standard by default, but they do have direct access with Openreach and can get this changed to Speed even on their resold products

Good to know - I'd noticed the standard profile for Vodafone on one of the other Kitz pages. Might drop Origin a quick email and see what their response is.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2016, 05:06:29 PM »

as they are buying wholesale should have a separate VLAN in the same way that say TTB 'LLU' for resellers etc although Im not certain on that. 

Confirmed as separate VLAN, although you may pick up a vodafone IP.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

keyap

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2016, 11:46:39 AM »

Hey kitz, here's an email I received from Origin's 'technical' team when I asked if my profile could be changed. What's also quite re-assuring is that before providing this we exchanged multiple emails as they needed to complete some checks and all responses were in SLA. In mine and my brother's case, this is based on using Vodafone's LLU:-

"Hi X,

Checking this for you, we should be able to change the IP profiling for the line, including the DLM profile. Please bear in mind though that if the profile is changed and there are then instabilities, the profile would need to be changed, or the line will experience multiple drops.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us via email or on 01302 235060".

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2016, 03:24:56 PM »

Hi thanks for that.
It confirms in writing what I was told by someone quite high up within Origin :)
-----

Berk

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2016, 04:12:49 PM »

HI, what is the advantage of Origin being able to adjust the line profile? I was comparing them against Vodafone, not much between them on price comparing the total over 18 months

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2016, 05:07:36 PM »

The last telephone call I made to an ISP resulted in an apology because it rang 6 times before it was answered!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530
Pages: 1 2 [3]