Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Whats the Best way to test line quality  (Read 5973 times)

konrado5

• Reg Member
Re: Whats the Best way to test line quality
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2016, 03:21:28 PM »

# adslctl bert --show
adslctl: BERT results:
BERT Status = NOT RUNNING
BERT Total Time   = 600 sec
BERT Elapsed Time = 600 sec
BERT Bits Tested = 0x0000000213AA3100 bits
BERT Err Bits = 0x000000000000004E bits
It is caused by some CRC errors during test.
16415 kbps, SNR margin 4.8 dB.

Pauljbl

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2016, 11:21:02 PM »

I found in another thread that the Bert command doesn't work with vdsl only ADSL for some reason.

So is there any best way to test

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 08:26:48 AM »

I found in another thread that the Bert command doesn't work with vdsl only ADSL for some reason.

So is there any best way to test
Did you get anywhere with this? It's been a while.
Best way to "test" is to set up some router stats on your modem and a ping monitor on thinkbroadband.com. upload the data to MyDslWebStats.co.uk and gather a few days info together. That will enable you and/or the experts on here to see what's happening on your line and advise what can be done to improve it. Patience is a good quality to have when doing this as, if you need to make any changes, you will then need to take more stats to see what, if anything, has changed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 11:55:45 AM »

Hi

Also the 'BERT' test is just a snapshot of errors, and these are bursty in nature anyway, plus the better cable might allow a higher sync rate because of receiving some usable higher frequencies but these are then more susceptible to errors, which puts the error rate up.  VDSL like ADSL is designed to run with some errors anyway.

I think the best metric is overall sync speed and available margin, but this will vary each time a sync is made and those differences can easily mask any changes the cable has caused.

Besides, given your VDSL signal has likely travelled along 100, 200 or 500 metres + of cable already, another metre or two isn't likely to make much difference.  Provided the cable is twisted pairs and you don't have any bad local RF, they are all going to perform pretty much the same, unless you are adding 10s of metres as an extension, in which case Cat5e is what you want.

Regards

Phil
Pages: 1 [2]

anything