Computers & Hardware > Android & other hand held devices

outputting to hdmi display

<< < (2/3) > >>

Chrysalis:
i would be using it for screen mirroring

Chrysalis:
Well an update.

I was 50/50 on either dropping to sim only price or upgrading to the G5, the upgrade date came and I checked EE's website for the offer, no upfront fees and a monthly drop in price made me too tempted, so the order has been done and its arriving tomorrow.  Also to further drop the price I picked the 1 gig instead of 2 gig package given I never went over 1 gig usage except for one single month last year.  I figured given they have a payg topup system that I can use when needed it made more sense.

After the order, I looked for accessories to order, mostly a gel cover for the phone, but also found an interesting one which has a fold out stand thing so ordered that also, and then went about looking into the hdmi situation.

It seem's what has happened is there was a format war, MHL on one side and slimport the other.  MHL has been abandoned by samsung, but slimport the one picked by LG apparently still works on G5 phones, so I ordered a slimport hdmi adaptor alongside a micro usb to usb-c adaptor to allow it to work and will report back on here if it works or not.  Of course smartphone accessories are a mine field for cheap clones and what not, I couldnt find an official slimport sold in the uk (only in america) so picked one off ebay and hoping for the best.

The only thing that may annoy me is if the screen feels like a downgrade as samsung use amoled and LG use IPS.

The chromecast I consider as a backup plan should this not work.  Bear in mind john the screen mirroring function is what I want to use.

kitz:
Good luck with the new phone. :)

>> The chromecast I consider as a backup plan should this not work.  Bear in mind john the screen mirroring function is what I want to use.

I only use the chromecast for mirroring these days, as I bought a Now Box for streaming anything else I want.   The box was £15 and came with 3 months entertainment package.  After 3 months I cancelled Now TV but it still allows you to use the box for lots of the freeview type apps.
Admittedly Ive not mirrored for several months now, but I do recall a ever so slight delay... from memory it seemed to be more with sound rather than picture.   

Chrysalis:
phone is here and is a lot nicer than samsung I feel, I like the always on time/date as an example.

accessories all should be here by wednesday hopefully.

The screen definitely has worse viewing angles than samsung, it has contrast shift off angle, and contrast ratio is not as good due to blacks been perfect on amoled, but the other stuff on the phone makes it overall a better phone.

Chrysalis:
This i turning into a review but oh well :)

The battery life even with the always on display seems fine, 5 hours after charged with clock showing on display battery is still at 100%.

I have however observed by accident parts of edge of phone feel sharp or rather not smooth.  The button to press that pops out battery is not smoothly in line and the top of phone is also some lack of smoothness, but no buttons there so examined closer to see why and it looks like part of the edge of casing stops and then starts again which is causing the feeling.  This shouldnt be a problem tho as I will be using the gel casing, like every modern phone the G5 is too slim to pick up and hold comfortably which is why I use gel cases to make them less slim and have grip holders on the side.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version