Computers & Hardware > Android & other hand held devices

outputting to hdmi display

(1/3) > >>

Chrysalis:
So currently I use a Samsung S5 901F as my main phone.
For the most part its a great phone, my 2 main annoyances are the ram isnt enough to keep many apps loaded at once and the lack of FM radio which I had on my older phones.

When watching F1 I output the F1 timing app to my second monitor so I can see live timing, and to do this I use a MHL adaptor which works very well.  MHL was only invented a few years back but it seems its now already obsoleted on newer phones.

If I upgrade my phone the device I am considering is a LG G5, mainly because I still want a removable battery, it has a FM radio, 4 gig of ram and a better cpu/gpu combo. Speaker placed at bottom vs the back.

The downsides of upgrading to this phone would be.

IPS screen vs AMOLED on my current phone, I do own a oneplusone which is IPS so I can sort of see the comparison already of what to expect, IPS is by no means bad, but AMOLED screens are very nice.
Soft buttons, will probably intially take some getting used to, but I think in the long term may prove an advantage as they can be moved around the screen.
Now the big one, the change of connectivity.  The G5 uses a usb3 type C socket, which immediatly makes my existing cables, chargers, MHL cable void to use on it, obviusly I would get a charger with the phone, but I assume would need to buy a new cable to connect to my pc or laptop, and find a new way to connect it to a monitor.

Which leads to my question, has anyone been using a new phone on a HDMI screen and if so how do you output to it, or even if you not but know how, please reply, thanks.

sevenlayermuddle:
I don't currently have any android devices, and know very little about them,  so may be talking tosh.   But I vaguely thought there was an inexpensive device called a Chromecast, which provided among other things, screen mirroring?

Chrysalis:
indeed it seems that will work but at £30 I dont consider it inexpensive :(

I wonder also with it been wireless if it introduces lag.

kitz:
I got a chromecast 2 for xmas last year.  Curry's had them on sale for ~£22.   Curry's ebay store also sell them cheaper eg here - scroll down for new other.

Unfortunately they do lag slightly.

j0hn:
I used to use my MHL cable everyday with my S3 & S5. Since buying a Chromecast I never use my cable now. For playing any files in my phone I use ES Chromecast which is a plugin for ES File Explorer. There's absolutely no lag when doing this. It handles most files including mkv files with AC3 audio.
Most apps like IPlayer, Demand5 etc are Chromecast compatible and again have no lag. The Chromecast connects directly to the likes of iPlayer, you only use your phone to initiate the starting of video playback.
The only time I experience a little lag with Chromecast is when using the screen mirroring function. This should work with most devices running Android 4.4+. There isn't many occasions when I need to use this though as Chromecast handles most things natively.
They are on offer on an almost weekly basis for around £22. Check out HotUKDeals and do a quick search for Chromecast and you'll see what I mean. They are often on offer for £22 with a free DVD from 1 particular site, though delivery is often slow. The likes of Currys/Tesco etc will almost certainly have them on offer for £20 in the run up to Xmas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version