Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SNRM dropping when downloading????  (Read 2620 times)

raislander

SNRM dropping when downloading????
« on: October 04, 2016, 04:27:52 PM »

Hi guys, glad to be in the forum.

I've got an issue with my BT Infinity line. I moved from Sky 38M to BT 52M, last week on Monday. Installed the BT HH6, just to start having resync every day, and speed initially going from 52M to 50M to 46M. Also the ping went from 6-8ms to 12-15ms in just a few days.

I decided this last weekend to remove the HH6 and put what I had before with Sky (RT-AC68U + HG612). I'm monitoring the line, and after the DLM put me in INT 3500, now down to 900, and no G.INP, Everytime I try to download my SNRM DL will drop 1.5-2dB, going from 6db to 4db or even less.

Is that normal? Do I have some issues with the cabling at home I should have a look into??  Thanks!!!!

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: SNRM dropping when downloading????
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 06:09:54 PM »

The only thing I can think of when the SNRM lowers when downloading is an issue with (RT-AC68U + HG612) hardware, Now with G.INP removed since migration the DLM is seeing more errored seconds and the reason for these resyncs + sync getting lower

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 06:35:30 PM »

Not sure what's happening there but I have been with BT for just Jess than 6 days. I moved from TT. My sync was all over the place for 3 days but then I had a resync by the DLM and it has settled down, albeit at a lower sync rate.
I'm told that it can take up to 4 weeks for G.INP to kick in which should bring my sync rate up again. Time will tell.
It might help if you can publish some stats, sync, SNRM, FEC errors and CRC errors might give a clue as to why it's so unstable. It might just be the training period. I don't think BT will be interested until it's settled. Your ping looks good. I would hazard a guess that you don't (yet) have error correction, or its not working. This is causing a large number of retransmissions of your data bringing your noise levels up. But that's just a guess.
I would say it's unlikely you have a problem at home if you haven't changed anything since you were on sky. Can't rule it out though.
What kind of figures did you get on sky out of interest?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 07:32:48 PM »

I would hazard a guess that you don't (yet) have error correction, or its not working. This is causing a large number of retransmissions of your data bringing your noise levels up.

I think that is complete nonsense.

The SNRM shouldn't be affected by you using or not using the connection, it's not normal. That fact that it is suggests the router must be emitting some sort of interference that increases with the amount of data transferred, and perhaps this is carried over the Ethernet cable into the modem.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 08:08:10 PM »

I have and what is only a suspicion that a seperate modem and router in this bridge mode config with ethernet cable going between both act's like an ariel for close by noise transmitters like LCD TV's Freeview boxes or even HDMI to VGA converters for RPi

Since moving to an all in one unit for VDSL2 and Routing + Wireless those SNRM dips have gone when using those noise transmitters  ???
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:13:36 PM by NewtronStar »

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 08:39:16 PM »

I think that is complete nonsense.

The SNRM shouldn't be affected by you using or not using the connection, it's not normal. That fact that it is suggests the router must be emitting some sort of interference that increases with the amount of data transferred, and perhaps this is carried over the Ethernet cable into the modem.
That's not what I meant at all. I'm just suggesting that no error correction, which is what was happening on my line when i first cut over to BT would increase the traffic flow but not the throughout giving a perceived increase in noise levels.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 10:01:17 PM by cliver »

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 10:29:27 PM »

I have and what is only a suspicion that a seperate modem and router in this bridge mode config with ethernet cable going between both act's like an ariel for close by noise transmitters like LCD TV's Freeview boxes or even HDMI to VGA converters for RPi

Since moving to an all in one unit for VDSL2 and Routing + Wireless those SNRM dips have gone when using those noise transmitters  ???
That's certainly a possibility. Good quality cables will reduce any noise induction and of course the same is true of the cable from NTE to modem and router to computer if using Ethernet.
The downside of all in one is that it often leads to a compromise in quality and/or functionality on either the modem or the router. If you have an all in one with a quality modem that hold a good sync on your line and the router does all you need then that's fine otherwise separate modern and router are a good solution with good cabling.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 10:43:14 PM »

CLiver seen this SNRM issue on the HH3 with HG612 and HH5 with HG612 and also BrightBox2 with HG612 once I purchased and installed the Billion 8800NL as Modem & Router all the extra noise from nearby devices just stopped so I would point my finger at the HG612 as the source for possible internal noise from other devices.

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 10:52:51 PM »

I'm not saying it's not there problem NewtronStar. But I am using an HG612 among others with an Asus router without problems, as are many people.
Of course we can't rule out faulty/dodgy cables or indeed modem. But, if set up correctly with good quality cables there is no reason why a separate modem should be a problem.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 11:02:05 PM »

I'm not saying it's not there problem NewtronStar. But I am using an HG612 among others with an Asus router without problems, as are many people.
Of course we can't rule out faulty/dodgy cables or indeed modem. But, if set up correctly with good quality cables there is no reason why a separate modem should be a problem.

The HG612 is not perfect it's not well shielded from Internal RFI the HG612 must be like 5 years old now and there are other Broadcom chipsets which do a better job on a noisy line

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 07:09:35 AM »

The HG612 is not perfect it's not well shielded from Internal RFI the HG612 must be like 5 years old now and there are other Broadcom chipsets which do a better job on a noisy line
I quite agree, it is getting long in the tooth now. But, I have several modems or routers that I use as modern only and it still compared well against them on my line (about 1.5Km from the FTTC box).
I think the only way to be certain is to try several different modems and see which holds a good stable sync at the best speed on your line.

raislander

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 11:43:56 AM »

It's sorted out now.

Turns out nothing to mean with the router+modem solution guys. I had a homeplugs TP-Link 1200, plugged into a socket which is less than 50cm away from the plate.

It happens that there are now several studies, VDSL2 and PLCs work on the same band of frequencies and when the PLCs start to work, the noise will get coupled with the VDSL signal producing the noise I was seeing. This happens at the plate level, so it doesn't matters if you've got a HH6 (with the modem in it) or a setup of this combo.

This problem may affect more people than we think, as it has become typical now to have a PLC at home to extend the network to other rooms by cable. Well this solution will work as far as you keep your Home Plugs far aways from your telephone socket.

Now the Home Plug is 2m away from the modem and for the last 10 hours the line has been synch at 62M sharp which is the max I can achieve, and when I use the line there is still a drop in the speed / SNRM but now it's bearly 0.5dB, when before it could be more than 1.5-2dB and get the line down even.

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 11:54:32 AM »

It's sorted out now.

Turns out nothing to mean with the router+modem solution guys. I had a homeplugs TP-Link 1200, plugged into a socket which is less than 50cm away from the plate.

It happens that there are now several studies, VDSL2 and PLCs work on the same band of frequencies and when the PLCs start to work, the noise will get coupled with the VDSL signal producing the noise I was seeing. This happens at the plate level, so it doesn't matters if you've got a HH6 (with the modem in it) or a setup of this combo.

This problem may affect more people than we think, as it has become typical now to have a PLC at home to extend the network to other rooms by cable. Well this solution will work as far as you keep your Home Plugs far aways from your telephone socket.

Now the Home Plug is 2m away from the modem and for the last 10 hours the line has been synch at 62M sharp which is the max I can achieve, and when I use the line there is still a drop in the speed / SNRM but now it's bearly 0.5dB, when before it could be more than 1.5-2dB and get the line down even.
Great news. Just goes to show how do many things can effect your link.
Glad you got it sorted😀