Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Ordering another two copper lines (to make a total of five)  (Read 9125 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Ordering another two copper lines (to make a total of five)
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2016, 03:33:22 PM »

I hope you don't mind, and I do not know your area where you live, but one of your posts made me think

Is it a possibility, if you are near a town or city with fttc, and the distance not too far (you mentioned 4 miles to cab -circa), that you could ask a person in that to town, to have a second line installed, provision fttc to the line, and run your own fibre to your village/house, then either setup your own ac wap network for village, or just use for your own

He's somewhere around here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Heast,+Isle+of+Skye/@57.1863259,-5.8978477,12z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x488c21a980aba4c7:0xab3a4cdd697af450!8m2!3d57.186323!4d-5.895659?hl=en
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2016, 06:47:22 PM »

@black sheep - the pole on the far side of the road by my house is right on the (one and only) main cable bundle into the village and I'm the first house. So my pairs must peel off from there. So is it the case that the critical thing is the number of free pairs in the main cable?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2016, 06:50:57 PM »

@kitz - I quite agree. But my point was a mental exploration of a hypothetical alternate reality where carriers were required to charge by results delivered, I didn't mean this as a practical recommendation or prescription. In such a fantasy world, BT would suddenly be mad for FTTP as it gives the most band for the buck, and lowest maintenance cost, and its length-independent. It was purely a thought experiment, which I didn't make clear.  :(

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2016, 06:54:42 PM »

@d2d4j, @ronski - I have often thought about making some kind of link to a friend in civilisation. A length of 4.6 mi of fibre or an RF link. The problem with the latter is that there is no line of sight. There are so many problems with the former that I don't know where to begin listing them all.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2016, 07:42:51 PM »

@black sheep - the pole on the far side of the road by my house is right on the (one and only) main cable bundle into the village and I'm the first house. So my pairs must peel off from there. So is it the case that the critical thing is the number of free pairs in the main cable?

Yes, as mooted previously ..... if there are spares in the 'main cable', then 'pair diverts' are an option. Additional work may also need to be done on the DP feed (the cable that runs up the pole), as there may be a shortfall of pairs in this also ??

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2016, 08:45:24 PM »

@kitz - I quite agree. But my point was a mental exploration of a hypothetical alternate reality where carriers were required to charge by results delivered, I didn't mean this as a practical recommendation or prescription. In such a fantasy world, BT would suddenly be mad for FTTP as it gives the most band for the buck, and lowest maintenance cost, and its length-independent. It was purely a thought experiment, which I didn't make clear.  :(

That would indeed suddenly change their business plan, however your village probably still wouldnt get FTTP as there would be decisions made on ROI still, and a small village at the end of a few miles of cable would likely only get FTTP with political intervention.

Also if anything rural areas are getting the better deal currently, with BDUK etc. vectoring, long reach vdsl etc. all targeted at rural areas, bulk of UK FTTP is also in rural areas, cornwall a good example.  Your best bet is to pressure your MP, councillers etc.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2016, 04:20:40 AM »

I'm not sure, but I think I heard something about how FTTC is coming to some parts of Skye. However, we are just left out as we aren't an important location and don't have any cabs. I wrote a viciously nasty email to HIE, which probably did me no favours at all, after they had sent me some smug advert for how well they were doing. MP sounds like a more sensible plan.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2016, 06:24:09 AM »

@d2d4j, @ronski - I have often thought about making some kind of link to a friend in civilisation. A length of 4.6 mi of fibre or an RF link. The problem with the latter is that there is no line of sight. There are so many problems with the former that I don't know where to begin listing them all.

Start by contacting B4RN, see if they are interested in helping, talk to locals see if they are will to pay.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

thesmileyone

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2016, 10:21:02 PM »

At the end of the day you choose to live there, if nothing is available you can't go blaming the companies as you are doing, hell even if those restrictions were put in place you wouldn't get wired. We live in a capitalist country, so if you live somewhere remote, you buy a leased line. I lived in Cornwall for 20 years, all my friends in Cities were on 2mbps when I was on 28k, then 12mbps when I was on 1mbps...I sucked it up because my parents chose to live in the sticks.

If I was a millionaire I could go and buy a house on its own land and enjoy the privacy of outer city life here in Cheshire.... but there would be no FTTC which means again, paying for a connection out of my own pocket.

It always interests me that people on FB etc say something like "F the government cos I can't get fast internet in the middle of the moors in my council house" but then their attitude towards rich people in the same predicament is always "Good, why should he get fast broadband, the tax dodging scrote".

What I would advise you to do is stick with ADSL and use satellite internet for what it is designed to do - burst transfers. Buy a 10gbps seedbox for £20 a month, use bit torrent to get your media, zip it all up via SSH and burst transfer it once a week by the terabyte via satellite. I'm sure there is a more legal way of doing this also. Not every service is streaming only.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2016, 01:04:44 PM »

smiley has given you good advice, I agree with it.

You can even get a seedbox for around £6, I have one, its on a 2.5gbit port and maxes out my line single threaded.  It is capable of throughput of around 400mbit/sec which is amazing for the price.

Check online.net.  Those are dedicated boxes not shared, using cheap atom cpu's.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 01:12:13 PM by Chrysalis »

thesmileyone

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2016, 06:04:17 PM »

I'm with a well known Dutch seedbox company, £10 a month, 10gbps, 1TB of data, no bandwidth restrictions (none at all) I regulary see it download files at around 400MB/s (megabytes per second, not bits!) and then I download from it via FTP and it maxes out my line!

I recommend a bigger one for more monthly outgoing as 1TB really isn't much these days.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2016, 07:54:34 PM »

The only reason I believe I have not seen higher than 400 is because the hdd maxes out its i/o.

400mbit/sec should be plenty of throughput for what he want.

I dont think he wants to sit there seeding huge amounts of content, which would be the only reason to need more storage. His problem is getting the content to his home.

Also it might be helpful to name your seedbox provider, I dont think is anything illegal about getting and selling seedbox services. Bear in mind tho if weaver is concerned about his privacy of what he does a shared seedbox will have less of that vs a dedicated box.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 07:56:58 PM by Chrysalis »

thesmileyone

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2016, 12:47:50 AM »

Unless he delves in CP, the server company (Feral hosting) won't care what he puts on the shared box!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2016, 01:49:24 PM »

Thank you for naming the company, they may not care but personally I prefer to use a dedicated box, but if weaver doesnt care then yes that may be a better option, especially as with feral the software is already setup.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything