Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: OFCOM releases guide to potentially offensive language  (Read 2528 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
OFCOM releases guide to potentially offensive language
« on: October 01, 2016, 01:48:06 AM »

OFCOM has just published its report on potential offensive language.

Must admit I was a bit surprised by categorisation of a couple.  I suppose some may have regional variations.  eg around here we wouldn't see bint as offensive and is usually used as something you'd affectionately jest a friend with if they'd forgotten something... ie 'ya daft bint' and both would laugh.  I would have classed it more akin to bugger (which is classed as ok and has 'little concern').  The only difference I can think is the former would only be applied to a female. 

In fairness the report does say tone and delivery should be taken into account.

I learnt a couple of new words though  :o

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/tv-research/Offensive-language/Offensive-Language-2016-QRG.pdf
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: OFCOM releases guide to potentially offensive language
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 11:02:46 AM »

This is the reason why so much of our TV programmes are crap these days.. oops (looks up crap.. it's mild.. i'm ok.. phew!)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

c6em

• Reg Member

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 01:07:07 PM »

Most of them seem common sense, we shouldn't need a list of swear words to know what is and isn't a swear word.

Which makes me wonder, should 'common sense' be on the list, as a term that might be offensive to those who don't have any? ::)

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 04:31:29 PM »

<snip>
I learnt a couple of new words though  :o

Only a couple?  I must be sheltered by the youngsters I work with, or getting old and out of touch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 07:52:55 PM »

re.. 'I learnt a couple of new words though' I did more than a couple  :o
Interesting looking up on 'google' or 'google image' some of them  :-[
although I thought one lives in water and another lives in a field and eats grass  ::).
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 08:25:50 PM »

Have you ever watched Mrs Browns boys every word is feckin we all know the real word I just can't keep up with political correctness these days nearly hitting my fiftys and I'll just say what I want to and if your offended then Feck off.

Offensive language is used every day in a school in the workplace it's used mostly as banter but you get these people who take the banter and change this into a court case for money if this keeps going on you won't be able to tell a joke with out being sued  :(

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 08:47:07 PM »

I recently watched some old episodes of 'Only fools and horses'.

The dialogue included several words on the list, relating to sexual orientation as well as ethnic origin.  And there was me, thinking that was one of the best TV progs of all time.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 08:49:37 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 12:43:49 AM »

There were certainly some words in that list that I had no clue about.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 08:15:58 AM »

I must have NOT had a sheltered life as I recognised the majority of those words  :lol:

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 09:04:54 PM »

I hope Kitz doesn't mind but a couple of those words were truly awful and should certainly not be uttered by any decent man, woman, or child - sadly they are commonly used and a blight on society. They are, of course, "God", and "Jesus Christ" ...  :P

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 10:15:18 PM »

I hope Kitz doesn't mind but a couple of those words were truly awful and should certainly not be uttered by any decent man, woman, or child - sadly they are commonly used and a blight on society. They are, of course, "God", and "Jesus Christ" ...  :P

Not a program I regularly watch, but I guess 'Songs of Praise' will have to sort themselves out then, to stop offending people and meet OFCOM standards?   :-\

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 11:15:05 PM »

Used improperly "God" and "Jesus Christ" are offensive to Christians. If we were insulting or used expressions offensive to Muslims, I doubt Chrisitans would issue deadly fatwas, as they do let alone act on them; they just pray for the offender.

Just think, what might offend you and avoid offending others, whatever one's views are. Frankly that's just good manners and citizenship. :)