Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Inexplicable speed drop  (Read 1846 times)

tumasek

• Just arrived
Inexplicable speed drop
« on: April 13, 2008, 07:28:16 PM »

The ADSL Max connection to my ISP was 1832, with a download speed of 1640, quite acceptable on my system.  This held for 47 hours before the broadband connection was inexplicably dropped. The router immediately reconnected it at a better connection speed of 2208, but the download speed dropped to 1400. I have difficulty in understanding how an improved connection speed can result in a drop of throughput speed, especially when the previous connection had held for 47 hours. Surely, since this was the first drop in two days it should have at least maintained the previous throughput speed when the ISP connection came back faster. I cannot believe that BT would drop my IP Profile under this scenario.  Can anyone offer any comments on this please ???

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Inexplicable speed drop
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 10:21:24 PM »

There are various possibilities. For a start, download speeds can be very variable, depending on numerous factors. So it may just be the result of normal random variations.

Another possibility is that there was an earlier connection drop which you didn't notice, which connected at a lower speed and caused your IP profile to be lowered. You can check what your IP profile is by going to http://speedtester.bt.com/ but this can be very slow and is often too busy to respond at all. When you do get through, it will tell you what your IP profile is as well as doing a download speed test.
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Inexplicable speed drop
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 08:45:35 AM »

One other possible explanation is that your connection is now 'hanging in there' at 2208, and because of errors, your throughput is actually slower than it would be if you were to have synced slightly lower.

A copy/paste of your line stats would reveal more in this instance :)
Chris