Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Moved from TT to BT Sync rate dropped ping gone up G.INP turned off  (Read 4776 times)

cliver

• Reg Member

Hi Guys I have just moved from Talk Talk Fibre Large (up to 75Mbps) where I was getting syncs of 53Mbps Down 10Mbps Up. Spped test results of between 47 and 51 Mbps DL and 9Mbps UL, pings of 9mS to 11mS.
To BT 55Mbps Service.

My BT service has just come up and My syncs are 47Mbps Down and 10Mbps Up. Speed tests are showing a commensurate drop to around 44Mbps DL 8-9Mbps UL and pings are out to 18mS.

G.INP is also now showing as off where it was on.

I was expecting initial sync to be pretty much maximum in line with what I was getting on Talk Talk with it holding that speed as it did with TT for months on end with only the occasional glitch.

Am I expecting too much?
Can I expect it to improve as the training period goes on? (in my experience it usually starts high and drops off as it learns the characteristics of my line.

Just want to know what I should be expecting. I know I have signed up for a slower class service from BT but as it's higher than the max I was getting on TT's service I was assuming I would get pretty much the same?
Any comments appreciated.
Regards
Clive

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Moved from TT to BT Sync rate dropped ping gone up G.INP turned off
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 04:57:00 PM »

G.INP will help. What modem are you using?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 05:00:31 PM »

Switching ISP comes with a DLM reset, removing G.INP. It will come back in time which will both increase sync, and possibly ping if you're interleaved. FTTC sync rates are essentially identical with any ISP, with the exception of product limits (55 in BT's case here).
G.INP can take anything from a couple days to about 4 weeks though it has been varying recently. Someone else will no doubt give you a better indication of when it will return on your line.
Can I expect it to improve as the training period goes on?
There is no training period with FTTC.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 05:02:52 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 05:02:41 PM »

Hi Dray, Currently on HG612 with a Zyxel VMG 8924 as spare. On the TT connection there wasn't a lot to choose between them. although I seemed to get a slight drop in DL speeds from the Zyxel to the HG612 but a corresponding increase in UL speed.
My plan is to try them both out on the BT line once things have settled.

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 05:05:59 PM »

Switching ISP comes with a DLM reset, removing G.INP. It will come back in time which will both increase sync, and possibly ping if you're interleaved. FTTC sync rates are essentially identical with any ISP, with the exception of product limits (55 in BT's case here).
G.INP can take anything from a couple days to about 4 weeks though it has been varying recently. Someone else will no doubt give you a better indication of when it will return on your line. There is no training period with FTTC.

Hi J0hn, that's as I thought. I assumed that, as my line sync was up to 53Mbps max on TT that I would get the same from BT as it's below the 55Mbps max of the service as I am still using the same line.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 05:07:50 PM »

That's not a problem, just if you said Homehub that may not support G.INP, but the HG612 or Zyxel VMG 8924 do and so it's just a matter of time till G.INP gets re-enabled :)

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 05:19:31 PM »

OK I'll give it time and try to be patient. Thanks guys. 😌

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 05:41:16 PM »

Just had an email from them saying it takes around 3 days to settle. So sit on my hands and be patient 😣

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 08:16:05 PM »

cliver will you post back when you think G.INP has become active again on your circuit

Cheers

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 08:19:24 PM »

cliver will you post back when you think G.INP has become active again on your circuit

Cheers
Will do :-)

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 06:56:22 AM »

Quick question. I use dslstats and when   OR cut my service over I saw an instant drop on my SNRM by a few dB.
Now, in my mind, this means that whatever the engineer did has introduced noise into my circuit instantly. This could be caused by something like a dodgy connector or one not pushed home/screwed down fully etc.
Is my thinking right and/or is there another explanation for this sudden extra noise source?

Edit: Another thing I have noticed is a steady stream of lost packets on my TBB graph. It's only a small percentage but is higher than I saw on TT where I only saw packet loss when I got a spike in ping times.
Anyone interested you can see my stats at MyDSLWebStats where I am cliver :-)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:19:57 AM by cliver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 09:45:38 AM »

Sorry, what do you mean when you said OR ‘cut your service over’ ? Just me being thick. ;D

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 10:19:12 AM »

Sorry, bad choice of words. I'm referring to when my service was switched from TT to BT :)

Xup

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 10:47:49 AM »

@Cliver, I moved from PN to BT,  like you I lost about 4mbps with the swap over as G.IMP was removed, 4 weeks to the day it came back on and speed was back to what it was before the ISP change.

Adding to the above. for the first 4 weeks with BT I was on what seemed to be a banded profile my rate was fixed and attainable never moved, now after the 4 weeks my attainable rate moves as the connection SNR margin changes through the day.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:58:12 AM by Xup »

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 10:49:46 AM »

Thanks Xup. That gives me hope.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 11:19:09 AM by cliver »
Pages: [1] 2

anything