Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Windows 10 64 Bit running out of internal Ram  (Read 16624 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Windows 10 64 Bit running out of internal Ram
« on: September 27, 2016, 10:33:51 PM »

Have seen this a dozen times where a popup saying Ram is low close application
Ok my internal ram is only 3GB and it hits 2.5GB used with 3 programs running it's the first time I have ever come a cross this situation on a MS OS.

It states that Windows 10 64 Bit OS will run with 2GB of internal Ram installed but honestly I think it needs 8GB or more of internal Ram installed to run many programs so purchased 2x4GB ram modules to see if this fixes that issue.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Windows 10 64 Bit running out of internal Ram
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 10:56:24 PM »

Could always just increase the size of the page file. Applications exhaust virtual memory (i.e. simulated RAM), not physical RAM. Buying more physical RAM will make the box go faster too though.

Is there a possibility that there is a memory leak? That is, some software that keeps on using more and more virtual memory because it's forgetting about stuff it is no longer using and just requesting more and more instead of releasing no-longer-used memory areas back to the system.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 02:04:29 AM »

One of the few good features with win10 is it supports ram based swapfiles, what is that and what is the point of it?

They borrowed the feature from android where by one makes a ram disk, use it as virtual memory space, and everything that goes in it is compressed.  The consensus is that compressing and decompressing is quicker than physical media i/o.  Especially if its spindle discs.

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 02:33:27 AM »

It depends on the user but 3GB RAM is not something I'd normally recommend, a while back I was running Chrome - and admittedly I'm lazy and open new windows rather than closing old ones - and it was using over 20GB of RAM(32GB system). The minimum I'd suggest for general use is 8GB and ideally 16GB. 3GB RAM is in the Android smartphone range.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 02:35:21 AM »

By the way, I meant ‘pagefile on hard disk’, or on SSD, even better. None of this irrelevant weird madness with RAM-based ‘swapfiles’. Which would be just a way of using up more precious RAM and causing performance problems.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 04:55:23 AM »

yeah chrome on my rig routinely uses 7+ gig of ram by itself.

I have been considering bumping this rig to 32gig for a while as 16gig is a struggle but I am not sure if using all 4 of my ram slots is stable as i had issues trying to use all 4 slots when I got the board.

My laptop I get by with 8 gig of ram tho I just dont use chrome on it.

Weaver the compressed ram disk is automated in windows 10 and as far as I know cannot be disabled.

Of course one should always have a physical swap file enabled, the sites that tell you to turn it off are bad advice.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 06:35:25 AM »

We need to be very careful when we talk about how much RAM (virtual memory or physical RAM) an application or other component is using, because some designs will simply try to find a use for as much spare RAM as possible in order to improve performance, caching is a prime example (and not just disk caching). Caching the results of work that has been carried out saves having to repeat that work again. If done intelligently, exploiting RAM as much as possible comes simply down to making the best use of resources, but there can be an element of voodoo in getting the balance right, since having to kick out dirty pages to free up some physical RAM for an essential use has a cost and squandering RAM because of ‘optimisation’ strategies when other processes really need it does not make sense. Any such behaviour needs to be adaptive, flexible and well-tested in umpteen scenarios and can easily backfire.

A web browser might in theory save the results of rendering a web page, either just saving the results of the layout calculation or even going as far as saving the entire page image drawn, and might save downloaded cached pages in virtual memory rather than just on the hard disk. Rather vague, but many years ago, I got the feeling that in some circumstances Opera was keen to cache web pages more than IE6 in terms of responsiveness when hitting the ‘back’ button.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 06:03:17 PM »

The two 4GB Dimm's arrived but neither of them worked no boot not even getting to the Bios setup though modules are the same type and rate so it's being returned to the seller  :(

Here is pic of the stats for working 2GB Dimm and info for the purchased 4GB Dimm -> 4GB (1X4GB) PC2-5300 5300P DDR2-667MHz ECC Registered 240 Pin DIMM Dual Rank Memory RAM x 2

Can anyone here help me purchase compatible ram
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 06:47:27 PM by NewtronStar »

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 07:27:19 PM »

What's your motherboard/model number?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 07:29:07 PM »

No matter I think this is down to the EEC registered (buffered) the Ram that works on my PC is unregistered Un-buffered Non-ECC memory so what I purchased was Server memory which won't work no wonder it only cost £15 for 2x4 GB >:(
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 07:41:47 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 08:42:36 PM »

No matter I think this is down to the EEC registered (buffered)

But it still might be worthwhile letting others check for you.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 09:04:21 PM »

I am to embarrassed BC the motherboard is old it's no I3/I5/I7 with DDR3 all I wanted is to play Rise of the Tomb Raider on Win 10 as it does play until the Ram runs out.

Asus P5QPL-AM  :paperbag:

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 11:07:20 PM »

Oh well thanks for the help  ::)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 11:21:03 PM »

I have only been able to find the following --

Memory

2 x240-pin DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR2 1066(O.C.)/800/667 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture
** Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for Memory QVL (Qualify Vendor List)
*** When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 11:47:10 PM »

Thats it Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory but I have check ebay and amazon and can see a few 4GB modules and they are from £35 to £65 so 8GB is going to cost me £100.

Now there are some china stuff which cost less but not going there just don't trust that country one bit !
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything