Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Windows 10 64 Bit running out of internal Ram  (Read 16638 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Windows 10 64 Bit running out of internal Ram
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2016, 01:56:53 AM »

Found a workable solution and weaver mentioned it earlier if I increase the Virtual memory (paging file) by 3000MB (3GB) the PC thinks I have 6GB now I can play Rise of Tomb Raider on Win10 64 Bit with no ram issues though with a lot more HD activity going on

ejs

• Kitizen

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2016, 08:30:54 AM »

Well spotted ejs. I followed a link on another forum.

Perhaps that motherboard is very fussy about the ram or it was faulty.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5QPLAM/specifications/
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 08:45:56 AM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2016, 08:59:15 AM »

Hi ronski

I hope you don't mind, but you could try a cheap ssd3 drive and set it up as a scratch disk to PC (used for paging file etc)

This should give you a more responsive PC unless your already using ssd

Many thanks

John

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2016, 09:04:21 AM »

Earlier I tried to lookup what "for AMD only" RAM might be. I didn't find anything definitive. Then I looked at the supported memory configurations in the Intel datasheet for the G4x chipset on the motherboard. I'm not really sure what the problem might be, not helped by the detailed memory specs not always being listed. I suspect the problem might be something to do with the capacity or quantity of the memory chips on the DIMM being greater than what the G4x chipset can support.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2016, 11:32:39 AM »

I've had ASUS motherboards that have been "fussy" about RAM but only when it comes to dual-channel operation.
They do generally have an "approved" list (I think there was a reference to that via one of the motherboard links above) if you really want that to work, otherwise I've just used more generic modules of an acceptable specification and run single-channel.
I think the "approval" is down to detailed timings of the ram - latency etc. see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_timings

My main W10 PC (typing this on it) has 8GB ram and is using about 2.8GB when not doing much, so I guess 3GB is going to be a bit tight and involve a fair bit of paging.
I generally try to follow the old 70% rule on real memory, so I would probably get away with 4GB. The analogy I use is fitting furniture into an office and changing the layout; if it's covering 70% of the floor space it's getting really difficult to move it around!

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2016, 11:58:20 AM »

Hi ronski

I hope you don't mind, but you could try a cheap ssd3 drive and set it up as a scratch disk to PC (used for paging file etc)

This should give you a more responsive PC unless your already using ssd

Many thanks

John

It's NewtronStar that has the ram problem, I have a mere 32GB at my disposal having recently built a new PC
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2016, 01:15:22 PM »

I think memory timings are more about optimal performance rather than whether it will work or not work. Even with the memory speed, I think DDR2 800 RAM ought to work fine at the lower 667 speed.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2016, 03:24:31 PM »

I think memory timings are more about optimal performance rather than whether it will work or not work.
Indeed, that's why I said it was the dual-channel performance that I found often didn't work, reverting to single-channel mode.
The relevant memory QVL list is the second download here, it looks pretty comprehensive: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5QPLAM/HelpDesk_QVL/

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2016, 03:35:09 PM »

Just having another look at that QVL, I can't see any combinations that go above 4GB. But the basic specs say max 8GB in just 2 slots.  ???

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2016, 03:48:44 PM »

Ah sure I still remember the commodore Amiga ram issue with sticks not working from old PC's think it had to be no more or less than 40 nano seconds.

I suspect the problem might be something to do with the capacity or quantity of the memory chips on the DIMM being greater than what the G4x chipset can support.

I agree with EJS that does seem like what is going on and the timing ratings are fine and as sellers don't give out these fine details then it's going to pot luck so have gave up looking for a ram upgrade on old P5QPL-AM it has and still is still serving me well on the WIN8.1 harddisk

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2016, 06:20:08 PM »

increasing swap will work to keep the system stable and allowing more stuff to run, but with the risk of a performance impact, so its down to you to decide if performance is still acceptable.  Bear in mind even systems with lots of ram often use "some" swap as its efficient to swap out data thats not been accessed for a long time.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2016, 07:38:04 PM »

The performance in the game is most of the time like treacle it's unplayable and yeap got a ram warning last light after 3 stages and it closed down it's very hit an miss even trying to run it again.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2016, 07:04:39 PM »

It's sorted the pagefile in Windows 10 is to small for me it was set at 512MB set by the system increasing the pagefile to 3000MB helps but with stuttering as the pagefile swap & applications loading compete against each other on the same hard drive

So changed/moved the Win10 pagefile location to the second physical hard drive and it's smooth fast and enjoying Win10 64Bit ROTTR game with only 3GB Ram
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 07:15:22 PM by NewtronStar »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2016, 04:19:09 PM »

Ok my internal ram is only 3GB and it hits 2.5GB used with 3 programs running it's the first time I have ever come a cross this situation on a MS OS.

It states that Windows 10 64 Bit OS will run with 2GB of internal Ram installed ................
Resurrecting this thread and going back to the start I realised that another of my W10 systems (used mainly by SWMBO) only has 2GB of ram yet is 64-bit and works fine!  ???
It's an old micro-tower HP box built for Vista and has a dual-core 2.6GHz AMD Athlon processor. 2GB is the limit.

I was wondering if there's any way of effectively increasing the ram with an SSD say, maybe using ReadyBoost (about which I know next to nothing)?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

anything