Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can some wireless routers be converted into wireless access points?  (Read 2446 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

(By reconfiguring them, not by replacing the firmware.) So you get a standard Ethernet-to-WLAN bridge as in any normal simple WAP and one that acts at L2 only.

I'm wondering if some of the high-spec wireless routers out there might be alternatives worth considering if I'm shopping for WAPs.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:16:39 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Can some wireless routers be converted into wireless access points?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 03:45:49 PM »

(By reconfiguring them, not by replacing the firmware.) So you get a standard Ethernet-to-WLAN  bridge as in any normal simple WAP and one that acts at L2 only.

Yes, that's do-able. I'm quite certain fellow Kitizens have done so. (But I can't recall any names without a search . . . )
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 06:33:28 PM »

I use a TP-Link W8980 as a WAP, also an Asus AC-68U, I have also used a couple of others in the past.  Actually it can be a pain but depends a lot on the individual firmwares, the TP-Link in particularly doesn't make it easy - ideally would be good to flash to OpenWRT - would be easier.

Currently the OpenWRT version for the W8980 has a bug which switches off 5 Ghz, annoying.

Chunks

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 06:51:39 PM »

Can't pretty much all wireless routers do this? You simply don't use the router features, disable the DHCP server, disable as much stuff as possible basically.

The drivers for the 5GHz wireless in the TD-W8980/9980 probably aren't in OpenWRT, although the source code does exist in the TP-Link GPL code.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 08:28:40 PM »

For a while I used my TT HG635 as a wireless access point with no problems at all and no change in firmware.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 12:36:21 AM »

> Can't pretty much all wireless routers do this? You simply don't use the router features, disable the DHCP server, disable as much stuff as possible basically.

I can't see how this is going to work. L2 stuff in general, random Ethernet frames, that are not IP (or not IPv4) are not going to be bridged (copied across from wired side to wireless and the reverse) as far as I can see? Apologies if am I going mad?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 06:58:43 AM »

A "router" is actually several units all stuffed together in one box:
  • modem
  • LAN/WAN gateway with PPP authentication
  • DHCP server
  • a switch
  • a WAP
The WAP is connected to a port on the switch part. All you are going to do is us the last two which will just pass packets between devices so it will just work.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 07:04:16 PM »

What I should have said is that I can't see how it's necessarily going to work without reconfiguration, but if the Ethernet ports are just configured as a straight switch and bridged onto the wifi then of course it will just work. It's just that on my router (no wifi) each Ethernet port is independently configurable and the set of ports is not necessarily grouped into a single switch unless configured that way. That's what led me astray.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 08:49:17 PM »

Can't pretty much all wireless routers do this? You simply don't use the router features, disable the DHCP server, disable as much stuff as possible basically.

Done this several times myself... dating back well over 10yrs before I had wireless n in an attempt to improve signal.  Was doing so with a Netgear 834g and Voyager 2100 for a long time - no such thing as powerlines back then.   Also done so for several others using old wireless modems as repeaters.  Basically gave it an allocated IP in the same range and turned off DHCP.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 09:48:30 PM »

I need the ability to turn off DHCP to be on the checklist, forgot about that.

anything