Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: help files gone awol  (Read 15767 times)

soms

• Reg Member
Re: help files gone awol
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 04:53:23 PM »

This might be one of those issues that a reinstall will only fix.

Worth considering before spending more time searching for a fix. If your running a recent install then there isn't so much to loose?

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 05:02:49 PM »

Well, the plot thickens.

A bit of googling leads me to believe that the problem is a corrupt HHctrl.ocx file, which appears to be something linked to ActiveX controls in IE7.

If you are not using Vista, why don't you remove IE7 ?
Just remove IE7 using "Add or Remove programs", IE6 will automatically replace it, so no worries there.

This helped and sorted a problem I had with some other software that refused to work after trying IE7.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 07:26:59 PM »

Thank you for your responses, and sorry for the delay in coming back.

@ soms..........ta for the suggestion. Having reinstalled Windows and all the attendant re-installs of progs, drivers etc, I really do not want to go through all that again,especially as everything else on the machine is working so well.

I think I will just learn to live with it.

@OF............my internet explorer ( help-about IE) tells me that it is version 7, but it does not appear in the add/remove list, and when I go on to Microsoft to get my patches/updates it offers to dowload IE 7 and install.
That would seem to point to my IE being corrupted in some way.............and I am now not sure which version is installed.
However, whatever version it is, it is working normally although it is not my default browser (use Opera) and I only use it for updates, so can live with that also.

Thank you all for your time,help and support.........think I will leave well alone and forget the missing bits.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 07:36:18 PM »

Np, if as you say it's back up and running then thats great.

However, if the updates want to install IE7, then let it install, then try removing it with Add or Remove programs.
As you already have (possibly) IE7 then no further problems should evolve any way.

IE7 has caused so many different problems for people but the main problem is that people do not suspect it as being the culprit, mainly because IE7 itself works for them (myself also when I had a problem).

edit
I have just looked in my Add or Remove and IE6 does not show up either, but when I did try IE7, then IE7 did show up, but once removed IE6 came back by default.

Are you now back working properly?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 07:47:15 PM by oldfogy »

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 08:08:21 PM »

my internet explorer ( help-about IE) tells me that it is version 7, but it does not appear in the add/remove list,

It should be listed under 'add/remove windows components'.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 08:16:24 PM »

I agree with trying to reinstall IE7.

If it is correctly installed it both dissapears from availale updates in Windows Update and also appears in add/remove programs as you would well expect. So the fact that you have noticed this is not the case suggests that for whatever reason something went wrong and IE7 for some reason failed to revert to IE6 which is what normally happens if the installation fails.

The Microsoft HTML Help executable and component may have been lost or corrupted by a bad IE7 install. Tbh I am not sure if it is something which is updated/replaced by IE although of course it requires IE for the HTML content regardless of what your default browser might be.

Reinstalling IE7 may well fix this without needing to revert to IE6 (unless of course you want to, I certainly prefer IE6).

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 08:19:46 PM »

my internet explorer ( help-about IE) tells me that it is version 7, but it does not appear in the add/remove list,

It should be listed under 'add/remove windows components'.
It may show, but also may be greyed out if IE7 is running.

Which is why when IE7 is installed over the top of IE6.
It is then classed as an added program (or at least mine was)

Which is also why IE6 automatically resumes when IE7 is removed.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 08:29:59 PM »

Which is why when IE7 is installed over the top of IE6.
It is then classed as an added program (or at least mine was)

I think officially this is the only way of installing IE7 although as you might be aware there are a number of sites/projects which work on integrating updates into the Windows installation disc/files a bit like when you slipstream a service pack.

The difference is that it is not a MS supported practice and it can result in things not working. Obviously all MS printed discs and computer manufacturer discs avoid attempts at such things but home made discs can get as interesting as you like.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 09:52:49 AM »

Thank you all for your continuing imput, and once again my apologies for the delay in responding.

Will re-install then uninstall IE7 and see what happens.............but that will be later in the day, so it may well be tomorrow before I can let you know how it went.

Thank you again for the time and trouble you are all going to to help resolve this issue.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 10:26:49 AM »

Keep us posted mate.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 11:46:54 AM »

Shortly after posting above, I had a phonecall to say that my hospital appointment had been postponed, so spent the time, instead of behing poked and prodded by sundry medicos, by downloading and installing IE7.

It installed fine, appeared in the add/remove list...........was duly removed and I am now back to IE6 which is working in all respects.   :)

As to the original problem...........it has gone away, and the various help files are opening as they should.  :clap:

It would appear that the mobo repair man tried to install IE7 but gave up half way through the job, and that I had a bit of both versions conflicting and causing mayhem.

Thanks again, all who helped, can now relax again ( I do get so uptight when things go wrong )
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 11:49:51 AM by tuftedduck »

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 12:14:35 PM »

Glad you got sorted out. :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 12:24:59 PM »

Me too  :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2008, 12:26:19 PM »

:) :) :) :) :)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2008, 12:32:44 PM »

I've not tried Ie7, but from what I've read here and on other forums, it would appear to be little more than a pain in the posterior.

Stick with Firefox.
Pages: 1 [2] 3