Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: help files gone awol  (Read 15769 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: help files gone awol
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2008, 12:43:14 PM »

It would appear that the mobo repair man tried to install IE7 but gave up half way through the job,

You can't give up halfway through.

Never put down to others that you can put down to IE7
This seemingly harmless little program has caused more problems than any other program around.

Now you can go to the hospital a happier person.  :-X

Glad it's all now sorted.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2008, 12:57:13 PM »

I've not tried Ie7, but from what I've read here and on other forums, it would appear to be little more than a pain in the posterior.

Stick with Firefox.

I hesitate to bring a sour note into the thread, but Firefox ?................noooooooooo, dyed in the wool Opera man am I  :lol:

How on earth can Microsoft do that ? The have been writting progs for how many years now, and yet they still manage to come up with an "improvement" which can cause untold problems

I'm tempted by all the data that roseway has posted in his Linux threads, the problem being that I cannot ( I don't think) run my two main progs on that OS ( Adobe CS2 and Dreamweaver ). I know that there are alternatives that will work on Linux, but these two progs cost a lot of money, and I don't really want to abandon them.
So, stick with Microsoft, and come here when the probs arise, as they surely will.  :'(

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2008, 01:01:10 PM »

You Opera lovers are a belligerent bunch... I've not tried it, but it would have to be a bit bloody special to prise me away from firefox.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

scottiesmum

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2008, 01:14:44 PM »

I have IE 7 and have had since the Beta version, never had a problem ... BUT I use, in the main, Firefox,  because I like the different 'skins' I can have  ::) lately however, since the last update there have been at least 3 occasions, when I've opened a new tab, gone to a website and then the whole page has just been blank white and Firefox locks up.. the only solution I have found, up to now, is to close it down;  then I get the End Programme Now box, and then when it finally does close I get the Send Error Report....  has anyone else using FF had this problem ??   

I tried Opera but couldn't get on with it.of course that could simply have been me  :-\ ???  I've also tried  Avant, but got rid of that for a reason which I now can't remember.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2008, 01:18:06 PM »

I've not had any problems with FF at all Kate, and mine is fully up to date... maybe you have an add-on that it doesn't like?

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2008, 01:20:34 PM »

I have IE 7 and have had since the Beta version, never had a problem ... BUT...............?

IE7 in it's-self seems to work, but it's the problem/s it causes with other installed software that is the problem.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2008, 01:25:23 PM »

I had Firefox for a long time and was quite happy with it until it started to freeze, not respond and close down in the manner that scottiesmum has described whenever I tried to type a post such as this in any and all forums.
It was a known issue with the then current version ( cannot remember which it was ) and there was a fix posted on the Mozilla, but it was so long, involved and convoluted that I took the easy way out and switched to Opera.

As floydoid points out, there may be an "add-on" conflict somewhere, not a problem in Opera where there are no add-ons,........... it's all built in  ;D

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2008, 01:35:34 PM »

Just found this advice for uninstalling a corrupted IE7, a bit late now, but worth noting. :)

http://forums.vnunet.com/thread.jspa?threadID=134245

Trying to resolve a problem with Windows Update (eventually solved thanks to much help from Spitfire) I had problems with uninstalling IE7, using Add/Remove Programs, due to a corrupted file. Searching through various help forums, I found the following advice, which is probably well known to all the experts, but may be useful to to less experienced users. Type into the IE7 address bar, goie7.notlong.com ( on its own, nothing else) and surf to that address. That will download a microsoft uninstall tool. Install and open this and it will remove IE7 and replace it with IE6. Restart the computer and if you want to reinstall IE7 start IE6 and type into the address bar getmeie7.notlong.com (again on its own, with no www. or http etc. ) That will give you a fresh install of IE7.

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2008, 07:48:57 PM »

I has anyone else using FF had this problem ??   

Something similar, occurring perhaps once/twice a week.
Firefox reports an unexpected error and has to close down.
OK, I can restore the session but it is annoying.
Have the latest version installed but also happened on previous version.
I shall have to try some setting tweaks.

I have IE7, tend not to use it very much but don't recall any problems with it as such.

I believe Avant is IE7 in a different skin.

exo

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2008, 08:33:25 PM »

Exo, does that happen on a particular stie, or is it a random event?

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2008, 10:39:18 PM »

Exo.

Strangely enough I keep getting the same/similar thing happen with IE6.
Usually after just finishing typing a post similar to this, then when I select "Post" I get the message IE has met with problems etc and needs to close.
Fortunately though, when I come back to the thread all the info I typed in the post has been posted/saved.

This has only started happening only the last two weeks or so and not on any particular site.

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2008, 10:52:03 PM »

Exo, does that happen on a particular stie, or is it a random event?

Fairly sure it is random but I will pay more attention in future in order to try and help pinpoint the cause.

exo

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2008, 05:37:28 AM »

I only asked because it happened to me the other day, but it was on a dodgy looking site - don't ask!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2008, 03:29:57 PM »

I know its a bit late in the day..   but a few years ago I used to have a similar problem after using a reg cleaner.

Theres a tool I used to run called fixwinxphelp which I used after each reg clean that got all the help files working again.
Although fixwinxp mentions Easy Cleaner, I found it also happens with various other reg cleaners such as Registry Medic.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 2 [3]