Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: ADSL filters with FTTC  (Read 25677 times)

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: ADSL filters with FTTC
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2016, 05:45:52 PM »

If there is something limiting the speed, such as the limit of the product (40/10 or 55/10 etc.), or DLM imposed banding, then a higher SNRM is better, as it indicates greater potential for more speed if the speed cap were removed.

Normally, your modem would connect at the best speed it can manage, with the SNRM at the target of 6 dB. If the current SNRM subsequently increases, that's a good thing, as it indicates there's less noise present, and if your modem re-connected at that moment, it should get a slightly higher speed.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2016, 05:57:16 PM »

As the sync rises the snrm drops. The target is 6dB but as you're banded it's above that. The snrm dropping without the sync rising usually means extra noise on the line. Seeing as it's a result of a new SSFP, it suggests the MK3 wouldn't sync as high if you weren't banded. If the snrm was higher with the same sync that would be good as it would suggest a higher attainable sync.

As ejs stated it may have a lower error rate, but you would need a modem with detailed stats to see this. A lower snrm is only a good thing if it has a higher sync along with it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 06:00:22 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

dfects

« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2016, 05:59:10 PM »

Ahhh that makes sense. So essentially I could of made my connection worse by fitting the mk3 ☹

dfects

« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2016, 06:10:30 PM »

Would I be best to leave it and see if it improves or swap back to the old setup?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2016, 06:19:51 PM »

Leave it alone for several weeks to see if the banding ever gets lifted. Or obtain a modem with access to more detailed stats.

dfects

« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2016, 03:36:20 PM »

OK so time for an update.

The HUB stayed connected pretty stably for a month or two, only rebooting once every 14 days which apparently is a normal thing for these? Until last weekend, where we dropped down another band to 30mbps. I'd observed the average SNR dropping down from around 8 down to into the 6's before the banding drop. We were one of the first on fibre on our estate, so maybe the effects of crosstalk from new sign ups?

Our current stats:

Data rate: 9.36 mbps / 30.00 mbps
Maximum data rate: 9359 / 38103
Noise Margin: 5.1 / 9.1 (downlink stays around 8.9-10 atm)

Profile speed (from the bt wholesale speed checker): 27.76 / 10
Speed test results: 27.12 / 9.1
Ping: consistently about 15ms on speed tests

Adsl checker results (I find it interesting the upstream has always exceeded these):

Quiet line test either in the test socket or main socket (we have no extensions anyway) has no pops or crackles, just a very quiet hum that increases as my hand gets close to/tightens around the coiled handset wire which I think is more a case of poor shielding/components than line noise? Wonder if you can get any line testing devices rather than just using a phone?

I have a HG612 coming from ebay that I couldn't resist at £12.98 delivered, but I'm going to be a bit hesitant about installing as from what I've read if it causes us to drop another band, DLM recovering it will probably never happen.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 03:38:59 PM by dfects »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2016, 03:49:03 PM »

Is the external NTE still connected?

dfects

« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2016, 09:51:07 PM »

Yes, hopefully crimped inside rather than connected. I never managed to get into it due to the screw apparently being rusted in. NTE5 master socket with a mk3 VDSL faceplate.

dfects

« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2016, 10:58:17 AM »

Sorry to drag this post up from the depths, but its already got most the info in. The hub rebooted again last night after 14 days as seems standard with these, but the last couple of days the snr had dropped from 6/9.8 ish to 3.8/6.8. Max attainable speed tanked from roughly 38,000 each sync to 32,808 and we lost maybe 1mb of upload sync speed. Still capped at 30mb with a profile of 27.76 on the downstream.

One of our nearest neighbours knocked the other day to ask about our broadband, hes only getting 16mb out his line. Our next door neighbour only gets 18mb and one just down the street said hes seen 23mb on his line, but its currently about 19mb! Looks like we have one of the more stable lines on the street, although all the ones I know of are under performing. I guess this is likely to be either lots of crosstalk or some interference somewhere :( I thought it being a new estate with new wires these kind of things would of been avoided :(
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]