Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: ADSL filters with FTTC  (Read 25767 times)

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: ADSL filters with FTTC
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2016, 06:25:54 PM »

Your download is capped at 32.4Mbps and will stay that way until (if) DLM relents and removes the banding.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2016, 07:03:19 PM »

The MKT 82 is a Metallized-Polyester-Film Capacitor

I believe the k refers to a tolerance of 10%

Thank you.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2016, 07:14:23 PM »

I am puzzled over what is  providing the bell wire voltage unless that comes back from the phone.  It definitely does not come from the NTE5 and I agree that the  capacitor " just connects "terminal 3" to a filtered "terminal 2" ".     I assumed that something ought to be raising terminal 3 to terminal 5 voltage via a high resistance.  I have one wired phone that definitely needs a bell wire and it certainly rings with the MK3.  Does that imply that just the capacitor (which is the right value for the ring), connected between 2-3 is enough for the ring and the phone has the needed charging resistor?.  As I said I am puzzled.

No resistor is required. The "ring" is due to the superimposed AC voltage across the pair (the A- & B-wires). In the telephone, the sounder is connected between the A-wire and the "bell-wire". The "bell-wire" returns to the 431A plug via the line-cord. At somewhere in the "local circuit" the "bell-wire" is connected to a 1.8 micro-Farad capacitor, the other end of the same capacitor is connected to the B-wire. Hence when "ringing current" is applied, there is an AC path as follows:

A-wire <---> sounder <---> capacitor <---> B-wire

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2016, 07:19:20 PM »

Your download is capped at 32.4Mbps and will stay that way until (if) DLM relents and removes the banding.

I concur. Without the banding, I would expect to see a DS of close to the package limit (Openreach 40/10 Mbps package provisioned).

dfects

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2016, 07:28:23 PM »

Kinda thought as much :) Seemed to resync around the time I left the house this morning which is an odd coincidence.

Assuming its unlikely the OR engineer would of fitted the NTE5 and left the XNTE in circuit... and if he had it would have more of an affect then what I'm seeing?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2016, 08:38:34 PM »

Assuming its unlikely the OR engineer would of fitted the NTE5 and left the XNTE in circuit...

Agreed. Unless, of course, he was unable to open it!  :D  (If the latter was true, I would have expected the case to have been broken open, the remnants removed, a replacement BT66 to be fitted and the network service feed being joined to the internal wiring by a pair of gel-crimps.)

and if he had it would have more of an affect then what I'm seeing?

I don't think what you are seeing could be attributed to a circuit with double shunts.

dfects

« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2016, 09:56:21 PM »

Thank you very much sir :) Pretty sure its rusted up, I can see rusted screws in photos on google and it seems to screw into a metal threaded sleeve. Its been 3 years since the OR engineer was here, plenty time for it to of rusted shut. Maybe it was wet when he came, wish my memory was better ??? I was going to try some wd40 to try and free it but did a test on the bottom corner and its discoloured the plastic so thrown that idea out.

Going to leave it alone and see if anything improves. Thanks again.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2016, 12:50:44 AM »

Have you purchased the SSFP MK3 and slapped it over the NTE5 as you may well need it on the longer line trust me  :)

dfects

« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2016, 09:03:19 AM »

Have you purchased the SSFP MK3 and slapped it over the NTE5 as you may well need it on the longer line trust me  :)

Its in royal mails hands ATM might show up today :) it worth me fitting it straight away at the risk of DLM seeing another drop?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2016, 09:40:47 AM »

Just turn the modem off before you start and leave it off for 30 minutes.

Samad

« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2016, 03:24:18 PM »

Thanks to everyone on this thread. I followed the advice given above and fitted an VDSL faceplate MK3 this morning after switching the router of for over 30 minutes.
There are no extensions as all the telephones are cordless.
The faceplate was fitted to the box where the telephone line enters the house beside my computer and router.

For the record the info before and after:-

Download   Before 25.56Mbps improved to 29.64Mbps and certainly in line with speed one would expect at around 1Km from the cabinet.
Upload       Before  3.19Mbps  improved to  3.49Mbps - Lack of information as to what one would expect at 1Km.
Noise Margin          6.2/6.5                      6.0/6.2
Lin attenuation           28.2                         28.1

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2016, 05:06:42 PM »

For the record the info before and after:-

Download   Before 25.56Mbps improved to 29.64Mbps and certainly in line with speed one would expect at around 1Km from the cabinet.
Upload       Before  3.19Mbps  improved to  3.49Mbps - Lack of information as to what one would expect at 1Km.
Noise Margin          6.2/6.5                      6.0/6.2
Lin attenuation           28.2                         28.1

The Noise Margin and Line Attenuation values are as expected.

As for a typical synchronisation speed for an approximately 1km line to the DSLAM, take a look at Bald_Eagle1's circuit statistics.

dfects

« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2016, 04:53:08 PM »

Finally plucked up the courage to remove the adsl filters and install the MK3. As Dray helpfully suggested I left it turned off for 30 minutes while I fitted it. Its reconnected now and is looking slightly better in terms of the noise margin:

Before (remembering kbps is actually mbps due to a bug):

After:

I haven't seen the downstream noise margin below 8.5 since our speed was banded to 32.4mbps.

I didn't expect the downstream sync speed to increase as I'm pretty sure we're banded at this point, but at least its no worse and the noise margin is less!

Our next door neighbour recently had fibre activated too, and hes apparently only getting 16mbps down! My 32.4mpbs doesn't seem so bad at the moment. Will be trying to help him.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 04:57:02 PM by dfects »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2016, 05:04:06 PM »

The noise margin being less isn't a good thing, it's a bad thing (with the capped speed), and the max attainable speed is also slightly worse. However, the error rate, which you can't see without stats, may be better with the MK3.

dfects

« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2016, 05:32:00 PM »

I thought the ideal was being closer to 6? The max attainable swings between 37 and 39 with each sync, although this is marginally the lowest its been so far.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7