Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: ADSL filters with FTTC  (Read 25811 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ADSL filters with FTTC
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2016, 04:31:10 PM »

The relevant SIN 470 states in Section 5 --

5. Ceasing usage
From November 2011 the External NTE will no longer be provided at NewSites. Housing
developers will instead install an internal NTE5. All existing External NTEs will remain in
place until faulty or removed if an End User changes to an incompatible service.

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

dfects

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2016, 04:36:40 PM »

The relevant SIN 470 states in Section 5 --

5. Ceasing usage
From November 2011 the External NTE will no longer be provided at NewSites. Housing
developers will instead install an internal NTE5. All existing External NTEs will remain in
place until faulty or removed if an End User changes to an incompatible service.

Any idea what exactly an "incompatible service" is? Most importantly, is that FTTC?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2016, 05:03:32 PM »

Informal discussions with both current and ex Openreach technicians has established that an xDSL service can be regarded as an "incompatible service".

I am fairly sure that when Black Sheep has been tasked to fault-find a poorly performing xDSL service and there was an XNTE is situ, one of the first steps would have been to check if that XNTE was still in circuit or was just acting as a big waterproof housing for a pair of gel-crimps.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2016, 05:44:30 PM »

But BT SIN 470 also says:
standard inclusion of a filter preventing electrical interference in DSL installations;

I assume that's referring to the filter on the bell wire, as found in a modern NTE5a.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2016, 06:10:20 PM »

I assume that's referring to the filter on the bell wire, as found in a modern NTE5a.

Yes, your assumption is correct. It is just a 22 mH choke in series with the connection (from IDC3) to the junction between the series connected 1.8 microF capacitor and the 470 k resistor that shunts across the pair.

dfects

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2016, 06:54:24 PM »

Does that mean that disconnecting my bell wire won't actually make any difference, as its already filtered in the external nte? Pretty sure mine will be wired "correctly" as there is no internal NTE5, so I'd be without an NTE at all if its not connected.

I tried to open the external NTE box to take a look with quite a lot of strength, but the screw won't turn. It was flexing most the box, so I stopped to stop the risk of any damage. Must of been tightened by he-man, unless its a screw with a reverse thread  :-\ I'm only in my thirties and although no muscle man, i'm not weak.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2016, 09:21:06 PM »

A "bell wire" is really unnecessary with any modern telephone and is just a relic of times past.

The other designated purpose of the series connected resistive-capacitive shunt is to provide the correct loading impedance to the exchange equipment when no telephone is connected to the circuit.

I tried to open the external NTE box to take a look with quite a lot of strength, but the screw won't turn. It was flexing most the box, so I stopped to stop the risk of any damage. Must of been tightened by he-man, unless its a screw with a reverse thread  :-\ I'm only in my thirties and although no muscle man, i'm not weak.

How odd. It should be fairly straightforward to open. I can't explain the difficulty you have experienced.  ???

dfects

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2016, 09:49:03 PM »

Yeah, just to put it in perspective I recently built several self standing shelving units from some old crates for the shed and in the past some for under the stairs from raw materials... done plenty diy. I have decent tools and know how to use a screwdriver ;) But that xnte did not want to let me in :no: Not without force I didn't want to exert on plastic that was already flexing.

Is it still worth trying to dc the bell wire to make sure? Assuming it doesn't matter if I do this internally on the faceplate.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2016, 10:29:40 PM »

Is it still worth trying to dc the bell wire to make sure? Assuming it doesn't matter if I do this internally on the faceplate.

Just do it at the socket. I.e. remove (pull out, don't cut) all wires in IDC3.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2016, 10:37:50 PM »

Just do it at the socket. I.e. remove (pull out, don't cut) all wires in IDC3.

As advised 3 times in the BT forum  ;)

dfects

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2016, 11:59:06 PM »

As advised 3 times in the BT forum  ;)

Oh wow sorry I didn't even notice the usernames! What a dingbat. I was reading the info on here about the choke at the same time and wasn't sure if that negated the need to remove the wire. Apologies. I suffer from anxiety and ocd, sometimes that switch that tells me when I'm worrying too much about things just doesn't work. Thank you for your help

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2016, 05:23:17 PM »

The reason why it doesn't matter about disconnecting the bell wire at that end, is because it'll be connected to nothing at that end anyway! So pulling a wire out of a terminal that doesn't connect to anything, doesn't change anything, it'll still be a disconnected end of a piece of wire. That's assuming you have a decent microfilter, which will make no connection to that pin in the phone socket. A bad microfilter might just pass the bell wire straight through to the telephone, completely unfiltered.

dfects

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »

Ha well I just had a shock. I went to go remove the bell wire, and guess what... I noticed my faceplate looks like this (please excuse the dust its behind a cabinet):

That's an NTE5, isn't it. What a tool... I remember speaking to the guy the entire time he was here, I don't remember him swapping the faceplate at all! It was in 2013, so guessing he probably bypassed the xnte and fitted this instead? I can't remember if I saw him messing with the xnte but he may of before knocking. I haven't popped it open as I don't want to dc the hub as its been 5 days stable now.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2016, 07:29:15 PM »

D'oh!  :doh:

So you just need to fit a Mk 3 SSFP to the NTE5/A.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2016, 07:35:22 PM »

Informal discussions with both current and ex Openreach technicians has established that an xDSL service can be regarded as an "incompatible service".

I am fairly sure that when Black Sheep has been tasked to fault-find a poorly performing xDSL service and there was an XNTE is situ, one of the first steps would have been to check if that XNTE was still in circuit or was just acting as a big waterproof housing for a pair of gel-crimps.

Just spotted this, Mr Cat …… as always, spot on …….. protocol (at least on my area) is to straight-crimp through the UG feed directly to the  internal wiring.  :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7