Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mysterious Item.  (Read 4901 times)

Pellseinydd

• Just arrived
Re: Mysterious Item.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 03:35:07 PM »

I was just doing a sweep of eBay, to see what sort of prices are being asked for the new NTE5/C & the NTE5/C plus Mk 4 filtered faceplate, when I came across an item advertised as --

Genuine Phone Master Socket NTE5a +Back Box +IDC Tool. COMMMTEL for BT Openreach

-- with a sub-heading of --

MADE IN THE UK FOR BT BY RATHDOWN INDUSTRIES LTD.

Looking at the images it most certainly is not an "NTE5a", nor is a "Back Box +IDC Tool" visible.

It appears to have the standard BT 631A socket under a shutter on the front and the equivalent plug on the back. It looks as if there is a red LED at the top right of the bevelled edge and the unit is designed to plug into either an NTE5/A or a LJU . . . I haven't attempted to deduce the size of the device by measuring the height & width of the 631A plug visible in the image and then scaling appropriately, so I can't be sure if it would fit onto an NTE5/A or one of the earlier LJUs. Also note how it unclips to allow four AA size cells to be fitted. Very mysterious.

Does anyone recognise such a unit, please?  :)

[One other totally irrelevant fact . . . The vendor's address is just a short distance away from where I used to live in the early 1970s.]

It is a 'Phoneguard-P' - a device that locked over the phone socket and used for blocking various outgoing calls. I have one sat in from of me here.

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Mysterious Item.
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 06:54:49 PM »

It is a 'Phoneguard-P' - a device that locked over the phone socket and used for blocking various outgoing calls.

Thank you. Mystery solved.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything