Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Opera Website Browser Adds FREE No-Logging VPN to Protect Users  (Read 1760 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Opera Website Browser Adds FREE No-Logging VPN to Protect Users
« on: September 20, 2016, 10:18:24 AM »

Opera Website Browser Adds FREE No-Logging VPN to Protect Users

The Opera website browser, which is available to both Smartphones, Tablets and Desktop Computers, has today attempted to make itself more appealing to the market by adding a free built-in Virtual Private Network (VPN) feature that doesn’t log your online activity and protects privacy.

Opera use to be one of the most popular browsers around, although in recent years’ its popularity has suffered due to the rise of Google’s now dominant Chrome browser and other popular picks like Firefox (Mozilla) and Safari (Apple). Personally I still prefer Firefox on our Desktop systems for development reasons, but we’ve found Opera to be better on Android phones.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Opera Website Browser Adds FREE No-Logging VPN to Protect Users
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 12:57:02 PM »

This is certainly interesting. I've tried it out, and it works - I'm currently based in the Netherlands as far as websites are concerned. I'm not sure that I'm prepared to trust it for online banking and similar things, because Opera is now in Chinese hands.
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 01:49:18 PM »

There used to be, iirc, an Opera service that would compress web content by passing it through their servers. Very useful, aside from the fact that images aren't losslessly compressible. (I don't recall what they did with images, they might or might not have performed lossy compression re-encoding, since I recall some dialup ISPs’ services did exactly that.)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 05:04:12 AM »

How does it work,  do Opera have there own VPN server I. E.  Do they handle all the traffic at the destination? Interested because when I am working abroad it would be nice to use this to access UK websites like Netflix etc which only work if you appear to be in the UK.

C

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 07:25:03 AM »

They have a few VPN servers dotted around the world, and users can choose "Optimum location" or a specific server. In Europe they have servers in the Netherlands and Germany.
  Eric

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 05:54:05 AM »

Cool,  thanks

C

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 10:36:19 AM »

How does it work,  do Opera have there own VPN server I. E.  Do they handle all the traffic at the destination? Interested because when I am working abroad it would be nice to use this to access UK websites like Netflix etc which only work if you appear to be in the UK.

C

It's not a "VPN" as you'd normally define one -

“In our case we are coming with a new term: a browser VPN – and our goal is that all the network activity from the browser is actually routed via our secure proxy – unlike the usual proxies that only route the web traffic. So it’s different than a system wide VPN but it’s also different than a proxy. Thus – a browser VPN. Currently WebRTC and plugins are still not routed that way – but we’re very open about this – we’ve just released this as a developer preview and planning to fix this in the coming updates.”

https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2016/04/22/opera-browser-vpn-proxy/

anything