Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wireless from hell!  (Read 7167 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Wireless from hell!
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 12:47:12 PM »

Glad it sorted your problem. :)

Ive been looking at and wanting a couple of the netgear powerline adapters for a while...  unfortunately some another expense always seems to crop up and take priority  :lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 10:52:18 PM »

The 100Mbps speed reported is the connection speed between your computer and the homeplug adapter - as there is no Ethernet speed that will connect at 84Mbps. The speed of the actual homeplug network will still be a maximum of 84Mbps.

Still, glad it has worked out well for you :)
Chris

luke howitt

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 11:35:48 PM »

Thanks again guys :)

Oh i see about the connection to the homeplug. It wouldnt affect me anyway as i only have a 5-7 MB connection!  ;D

Glad i came here for help otherwise i would have just confronted the many foreign helplines for the next few months!

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 01:59:11 AM »

One thing to bear in mind is hen a range is stated with a wireless set up, the range may be based on a connection thrr into a ough fresh air, once you have a solid material barrier then the range will begin to reduce.

If the barrier has something which is conductive electricaly by some degree theen this will have an effect on the radio signal. In a typical dwelling this can be brick, concrete, gypsum (plaster). Also if there is a metalic barrier such as foil backed plaster board, foiled cavety insualtion, steel frame structures. Lime mortar is very conductive with the slightest bit of water content (from normal air humidity) and is notoriously problematic with radio signals. Also furniture such as a filing cabinet (I have been to a broadband fault where the connection to the router was ok but the router was on top of a filing cabinet, the end user was downstairs with a laptop, I moved the router on the desk next to the cabinet and "Hey I'm connected, what did you do ?". another fault where one side of a wall the router wouldn't connect to anythting the other side. plugged the router into another socket where from the route point of view the wall was almost edge on and every one could connect.

The yard at work where I park i can pick up the wireless signal in the van along one side of the car park over 50m radius, yet 10m away in the other direction in the building, nothing, as the signal wil have to get through 2 thermite walls and 4 lots of metal lockers.

Move the  router around a bit, you can get booster aerials that plug in the back of a router to help as well

luke howitt

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 05:40:03 PM »

Ahhh i see, well we had been told that the walls in our building may have been installed with sheets of aluminiom between them to help insulation as it is a new build. SO this could be the problem. As far as furniture, there is not much such as filing cabinets and none of them are in the way so i guess it must be the walls. Anyway, i have my homeplugs and they are doing the job at the moment :)

Thanks for the thoughtful and helpful comment  :)
Pages: 1 [2]