Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Master Socktet Relocation .. are Openreach OK with cable running behind plaster?  (Read 3016 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen

Hi,
At some point we'll need to sort out phone cable coming into the house, as the joint between external and internal cable is boxed in and in accessible.  I don't really know how exactly to do it, but it seems to me unlikely that there'll be enough slack to relocate the junction box without extending or replacing the internal cabling.  Since I would quite like to relocate the master socket, I was thinking of running cable behind the plaster from the proposed new location, popping out of the plaster again near to the mystery junction box.   I did similar in the past when installing a second line, in fact at that time the BT guy left me some cable saying that they wouldn't be able to go wriggling through crawl spaces etc but if I could get the cable in place he'd come back to connect it.

So what's their practice at the moment, will they be OK with me pulling the cable, or do they have to run it all themselves?  Equally is there any issue with cable running behind plaster?

Thanks,  Tony S

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

From your description, it reads as if what you propose would be acceptable. Leaving the ends free and accessible for the Openreach technician to connect/terminate would simplify the internal work required for the task.

What specification cable are you thinking of using between the two internal locations? CW1308 or Cat5e?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

aesmith

• Kitizen

What specification cable are you thinking of using between the two internal locations? CW1308 or Cat5e?

Cheers.  Hadn't got as far as that, I have both cable types to hand.  When I had the line installed that I referred to above, the cable the BT guy left me was actually Cat 5 not CW1308.  I guess I'd go for whatever Openreach are most likely to accept.   The idea would be to try and arrange things so that the junction box between external and internal cable can be relocated without exceeding the length of External cable, so with a new run of internal I have no more joints than currently exist.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen

For some reason I was under the impression the Junction box to the Master Socket cable should be no more than 3 meters in length with CW1308 and can't remember were I seen that information. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 07:34:28 PM by NewtronStar »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

Years ago I had a small junction box, now I'm straight in from the outside world to the NTE5 in the case of each of my lines, with less than 1m of what might be called ‘internal’ wiring, so BT relocated the original cable for me exactly as I would have wished and then followed exactly the same route with the second cable.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen

Years ago I had a small junction box, now I'm straight in from the outside world to the NTE5

Many many years ago I had the outside world coming into the NTE/5 and behind wooden front door but that was replaced with PVC double glazed door and now have two joint's one on eves and the other which used to be the original NTE/5 the cable is now buried somewhere inside the PVC door frame  :D ah sure that was 28 years ago when you only needed a working telephone.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 01:08:33 AM by NewtronStar »

anything