Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: FTTC - Located Between Two Cabinets  (Read 8941 times)

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC - Located Between Two Cabinets
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 07:17:31 PM »

You could always bond two (or more) lines and have it as fast as you want.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 07:47:23 PM »

There's millions of lines that aren't connected to the nearer cabinet, either because they pass the cabinet to a further away cabinet, or because cabinet 1 is 500m to the East, but the line runs 1000m to the West. In either if these circumstances there's no way to get your cabinet changed. It's a legacy, as is, service. OpenReach will not reroute anyone's line.

The Fibre will indeed be connected to both cabinets, but the copper from your home is only connected to cabinet 1, and unfortunately for you it will remain like that.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 08:08:19 PM »

Unfortunately it's not as straight forward as it seems, your phone line comes from the exchange, there could be hundred or two hundred or more lines in one cable bundle. At some point this bundle starts to split and spread out a bit like tree roots, this point would be the optimum point to put a fibre cabinet. Cab 1 must split closer to the exchange and cab two's lines must split further away. Now for BT to run a line back to your house from cab 2 they'd either have to put another cable in or use another pair in the same bunch and then break it out where it would need to go off to your house, now while this is technically possible it isn't practical and it would set a precedent and every one else that got to hear about it would start demanding the same. So simply put it's not going to happen.

On some occasions BT has done network rearrangements to meet targets and coverage, but this is for multiple lines, the cabinets they've installed for your town are essentially network rearrangements.

Therefore if one cabinet is nearer than the other there must be a difference in speed and as a customer I feel that I am not getting value for money - unless there is something I am not aware of.

I've had a few disagreements on here recently because I've become fed up with the way things are currently going. From BT you basically have two Fibre Optic broadband methods, FTTP and FTTC, FTTP is fibre all the way to the modem in your house, now if Fred Blogs orders an 80/20 product on FTTP that's what he gets (not allowing for overheads/congestion etc). Now we come to FTTC, you'll still pay the same for an 80/20 product, but no guarantee to what speed you will get, or that the speed wont change (usually downwards!).

To further complicate things there are two makes of FTTC cabinet, Huawei and ECI, now Huawei cabinets have certain advantages, in the following list any given line will perform better (up to the package maximum) the higher up the list the cabinet its connected to is. Note that you'll pay the same for the same package on each type of cab.

1. Huawei with Vectoring and G.Inp
2. Huawei with G.inp
3. ECI

Vectoring is a technology that effectively cancels out crosstalk (the reduction in speed caused by interference from other lines), some BDUK cabinets have had vectoring enabled. G.Inp is an error correction technology, and can boost speeds if you would otherwise have interleaving on your line, as the previous error correction technology (interleaving) would take speed from your line. Not all lines need error correction, and these are described as being on fast path. ECI doesn't have vectoring, and currently don't have G.Inp so have to use interleaving for error correction when needed impacting speeds.

Now the chances are you are on Huawei cab (BT stopped using ECI as far as I know), it could also be possible you may get vectoring, both of these work in your favour.

Another huge factor to your speed will be the quality of the line, standard lines are 0.5mm copper and this is most likely what those speeds Dray quoted are estimated on, however you could be on thicker copper (maximum 0.9mm I think), which is good because that means faster speeds, however you could have some aluminium (yes some bright spark back in the seventies decided to save money) in your line, now this is bad and means slower speeds.  Also joints, corrosion, crosstalk, interference all have an affect, as does the wiring in your house.

At the end of the day it is what it is unfortunately and there's very little you can or I can do about it. I live 450 - 500 meters from my cabinet, my original estimate was around 60/12, I currently get 47/4.4, I used to get 12 up but never much faster than 47 down. My line has always underperformed, there are houses slightly further away that have estimates in the 70's.

Until the whole country gets FTTP it's always going to be like this, my opinion is that BT don't really care what you or I get (or whether it's fair), they just want to make a good profit with minimum expenditure. Unfortunately it's going to be a very long time before there is widespread FTTP, one because it just costs vast sums to install, and two would take a very long time to install. Things are very slowly starting to improve, but it's going to be a very slow journey and BT won't be rushing to do it, they will sweat the copper for as long as possible. Ofcom also have certain rules which BT have to abide by and are now actually starting to hold things back.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 08:11:50 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Samad

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 07:48:41 AM »

There's millions of lines that aren't connected to the nearer cabinet, either because they pass the cabinet to a further away cabinet, or because cabinet 1 is 500m to the East, but the line runs 1000m to the West. In either if these circumstances there's no way to get your cabinet changed. It's a legacy, as is, service. OpenReach will not reroute anyone's line.

The Fibre will indeed be connected to both cabinets, but the copper from your home is only connected to cabinet 1, and unfortunately for you it will remain like that.
The cabinets in question are new installations and properties connected to cabinet 2 follow the same copper route as mine from the exchange. I can see each connection as it winds its way down the road. It may have been a quicker design to meet connection targets. Does not mean we have to accept it.

Samad

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 07:53:45 AM »

Unfortunately it's not as straight forward as it seems, your phone line comes from the exchange, there could be hundred or two hundred or more lines in one cable bundle. At some point this bundle starts to split and spread out a bit like tree roots, this point would be the optimum point to put a fibre cabinet. Cab 1 must split closer to the exchange and cab two's lines must split further away. Now for BT to run a line back to your house from cab 2 they'd either have to put another cable in or use another pair in the same bunch and then break it out where it would need to go off to your house, now while this is technically possible it isn't practical and it would set a precedent and every one else that got to hear about it would start demanding the same. So simply put it's not going to happen.

On some occasions BT has done network rearrangements to meet targets and coverage, but this is for multiple lines, the cabinets they've installed for your town are essentially network rearrangements.

I've had a few disagreements on here recently because I've become fed up with the way things are currently going. From BT you basically have two Fibre Optic broadband methods, FTTP and FTTC, FTTP is fibre all the way to the modem in your house, now if Fred Blogs orders an 80/20 product on FTTP that's what he gets (not allowing for overheads/congestion etc). Now we come to FTTC, you'll still pay the same for an 80/20 product, but no guarantee to what speed you will get, or that the speed wont change (usually downwards!).

To further complicate things there are two makes of FTTC cabinet, Huawei and ECI, now Huawei cabinets have certain advantages, in the following list any given line will perform better (up to the package maximum) the higher up the list the cabinet its connected to is. Note that you'll pay the same for the same package on each type of cab.

1. Huawei with Vectoring and G.Inp
2. Huawei with G.inp
3. ECI

Vectoring is a technology that effectively cancels out crosstalk (the reduction in speed caused by interference from other lines), some BDUK cabinets have had vectoring enabled. G.Inp is an error correction technology, and can boost speeds if you would otherwise have interleaving on your line, as the previous error correction technology (interleaving) would take speed from your line. Not all lines need error correction, and these are described as being on fast path. ECI doesn't have vectoring, and currently don't have G.Inp so have to use interleaving for error correction when needed impacting speeds.

Now the chances are you are on Huawei cab (BT stopped using ECI as far as I know), it could also be possible you may get vectoring, both of these work in your favour.

Another huge factor to your speed will be the quality of the line, standard lines are 0.5mm copper and this is most likely what those speeds Dray quoted are estimated on, however you could be on thicker copper (maximum 0.9mm I think), which is good because that means faster speeds, however you could have some aluminium (yes some bright spark back in the seventies decided to save money) in your line, now this is bad and means slower speeds.  Also joints, corrosion, crosstalk, interference all have an affect, as does the wiring in your house.

At the end of the day it is what it is unfortunately and there's very little you can or I can do about it. I live 450 - 500 meters from my cabinet, my original estimate was around 60/12, I currently get 47/4.4, I used to get 12 up but never much faster than 47 down. My line has always underperformed, there are houses slightly further away that have estimates in the 70's.

Until the whole country gets FTTP it's always going to be like this, my opinion is that BT don't really care what you or I get (or whether it's fair), they just want to make a good profit with minimum expenditure. Unfortunately it's going to be a very long time before there is widespread FTTP, one because it just costs vast sums to install, and two would take a very long time to install. Things are very slowly starting to improve, but it's going to be a very slow journey and BT won't be rushing to do it, they will sweat the copper for as long as possible. Ofcom also have certain rules which BT have to abide by and are now actually starting to hold things back.
Thank you for your constructive response, I found it most enlightening.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 11:44:38 AM »

The cabinets in question are new installations and properties connected to cabinet 2 follow the same copper route as mine from the exchange. I can see each connection as it winds its way down the road. It may have been a quicker design to meet connection targets. Does not mean we have to accept it.
It doesn't matter if you accept it or not. I made a number of attempts to be connected to a nearer cabinet without luck. I'm in the same situation as yourself. All my neighbours are on the nearer cabinet, then my line and that of the last few properties on my street run right past this cabinet to the next cabinet. There is absolutely no way to request your cabinet to be changed. That will only ever happen during planned network rearrangements. If you have just been changed from an EO line to a PCP then you have already had network rearrangements done. As Ronski said above, if they moved it for you, everyone else in the country who had a closer cabinet would want moved. OpenReach run the copper network as a legacy "as is" service. People are simply giving you honest answers. 1 of those answers came from an experienced OpenReach engineer. By all means ignore the advise you've been given and try have the cabinet changed, but don't shoot the messengers.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 04:30:56 PM »

Additionally the incoming cable(s) containing the all the line pairs to the cabinet from the exchange will be sized for the number of subscribers on that cabinet plus a number of spares. (so you might get for example a 200 pair cable).
The spares will be there for when a subscriber's line pair goes faulty and the fault is in the cable between the cabinet and the exchange.

(Remember its not just your line back to the cab which has to be moved to a new cab - it also needs a corresponding line pair to be available back to the exchange from the new cab.)

Now, if BT were to start moving lines to this fibre enabled cabinet then the number of spares would rapidly evaporate as they would now have been used up to service these newly transferred subscriber lines.
Then what do you do when a line now goes faulty?
You (BT) are up the creek without a paddle.
BT would now have to put in a new parallel running cable from the exchange to the cabinet.  Not only would this cost a great deal but in the meantime the subscriber who line developed the fault would be suddenly without either voice or broadband service....for weeks if not months.

Actually the same would apply if a subscriber wanted a new additional line - if the number of spares available at the cab was at or below some minimum BT would decline and say there were no more lines available

As per the previous answer if BT are doing some mega network re-organisation which would include putting in more exchange to cabinet capacity by way of a new additional multi-pair cable then and only then would they consider moving/shuffling around subscribers from cab to cab.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2016, 05:01:50 PM »

This is an issue where constraints of physical topology meets constraints for the management of network cables, meets technical constraints on the use to which cables can be placed.

Where cabinets were put in many years ago, the whole point was to add a point of flexibility, where the E-side cables (up to 1,000 pairs, and pressurised to keep water out) were terminated, where the local distribution cables (10, 25 or 100 pairs) fan out to the surrounding streets, and where the two could be connected or (in the event of a fault) changed. It also marks a change in philosophy: There is very little desire to ever break into the larger E-side cables, or to add joints, for any reason. The smaller D-side cables don't show this, with plenty of joints existing.

In physical terms, coverage doesn't seem to be "circles" surrounding the cabinet. Instead, it seems the coverage area can be better thought of like a teardrop, with the sharp end pointing at the exchange, and the point where the cabinet is located; most houses connected to the cabinet will be further away from the exchange ... all the way up to the point where a new cabinet is sited, and takes over the coverage further out.

The natural consequence is that the houses at the far edge of the coverage for one cabinet will likely be closer to the cabinet at the start of the next. That was never an issue in voice days, of course - so no need to play with the layout of the network.

It is hard to draw this on a map, but the next best example I can think of comes from paving patterns. Something (but not exactly) like this:

Put the exchange at the bottom of the image, and a cabinet at the bottom of each fan, and you get to see something of the pattern.

The cabinets in question are new installations and properties connected to cabinet 2 follow the same copper route as mine from the exchange. I can see each connection as it winds its way down the road.

Cabinets installed now won't quite follow the same physical pattern, but are constrained instead by the layout of the existing cabling.

Both cabinets 1 and 2 will have respectively been sited at a location that all the existing cables (for the homes attached) already run through - whether they are the large (multi-hundred pairs) or smaller (10,25,100 pairs) cables. The cabinets will, as much as possible, just break into cables that run past that location, with as little new cabling needed as possible.

Your current cable will, before the cabinets were installed, already have physically existed where cabinet 1 was sited. Crucially, your line won't have run to the location where cabinet 2 is now sited.

To do what you ask, and re-route you through cabinet 2 needs a considerable amount of extra copper cabling added. Cabling that doesn't exist today, through ducts that probably aren't big enough. Quite a lot of rework.

It may have been a quicker design to meet connection targets.

The main constraints placed on BT, by the local BDUK projects, are financial: to offer as much value for money as possible (ie be as cheap as possible), and to get as many homes above the 25Mbps threshold as possible.

To do what you ask would take time, and would cost a lot of money, but wouldn't likely gain much additional coverage of superfast speed (especially if long-range VDSL (*) becomes an option on your cabinet).

Meanwhile, spending extra money on your line would be likely to deprive someone else of an upgrade of any form.

If you were spending your own money for this, that would be fine. But the council, and BT by extension, have other priorities.

Does not mean we have to accept it.

There is a technical reason too. It would be wrong to allow VDSL2 signals down one cable from FTTC cabinets that are located in different places, and are different distances away. Crosstalk could obliterate the DSL service (including ADSL service from the exchange).

This would become an issue for your line if you happened to share a cable (at some point) with a property that was closer to cab 1, and stayed connected there.

The likelihood of this happening depends on the layout of all cables in your locality - not just the one you are currently connected to, but any cable that you might swap to in future (for example, as part of a future repair).

I note that you make a regular reference to the fact that all the copper, for all houses, follows one route. You might be thinking that there would be little to prevent you from piggy-backing on the copper in the wrong direction out to cab 2, and then back toward the exchange again. Unfortunately, it is this technical restriction - the requirement to not interfere with other services sharing the copper cables - that makes this impossible. You would need BT to install 500m of brand new copper ... possible more ... and then keep track forevermore of the anomoly that this particular cable is being used "backwards".

(*) Long-range VDSL looks like it will change the range of superfast speed from today's 1.2km to perhaps 1.6-1.7km, and maybe further in the future.

This graph (courtesy of TBB) shows what BT thinks right now for both the standard 17a profile and the (being trialled) LR-VDSL:

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 09:08:27 PM »

That TBB graph seems extraordinarily pessimistic. I'm connected at 67Mb despite being 500m of cable from the cabinet and I presume he wasn't talking about radial distance.

Samad

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2016, 09:54:55 PM »

Thank you everyone for your input. All is a lot clearer.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2016, 10:29:45 PM »

That TBB graph seems extraordinarily pessimistic. I'm connected at 67Mb despite being 500m of cable from the cabinet and I presume he wasn't talking about radial distance.

And I'm connected at 47Mbps at 450 meters of cable.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2016, 11:37:51 PM »

That TBB graph seems extraordinarily pessimistic. [...] 500m of cable from the cabinet

Are you talking about the graph I posted (4 posts ago), or the TBB table copied on the previous page?

The table is pretty pessimistic, as TBB themselves acknowledge. The values seem to be somewhere near the bottom of the B range.

The graph I posted came from a TBB article, but I think they sourced it originally from BT. It doesn't show speeds for any distances below 1.2km

Samad

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2016, 10:38:52 AM »

Additionally the incoming cable(s) containing the all the line pairs to the cabinet from the exchange will be sized for the number of subscribers on that cabinet plus a number of spares. (so you might get for example a 200 pair cable).
The spares will be there for when a subscriber's line pair goes faulty and the fault is in the cable between the cabinet and the exchange.

(Remember its not just your line back to the cab which has to be moved to a new cab - it also needs a corresponding line pair to be available back to the exchange from the new cab.)

Now, if BT were to start moving lines to this fibre enabled cabinet then the number of spares would rapidly evaporate as they would now have been used up to service these newly transferred subscriber lines.
Then what do you do when a line now goes faulty?
You (BT) are up the creek without a paddle.
BT would now have to put in a new parallel running cable from the exchange to the cabinet.  Not only would this cost a great deal but in the meantime the subscriber who line developed the fault would be suddenly without either voice or broadband service....for weeks if not months.

Actually the same would apply if a subscriber wanted a new additional line - if the number of spares available at the cab was at or below some minimum BT would decline and say there were no more lines available

As per the previous answer if BT are doing some mega network re-organisation which would include putting in more exchange to cabinet capacity by way of a new additional multi-pair cable then and only then would they consider moving/shuffling around subscribers from cab to cab.

Thank you for your explanation which has helped to make things a lot clearer to me.
I must admit that I took a simplistic approach when asking my original question as it is a small exchange:-

1) The exchange supports 352 premises assuming same number of lines.
2) 4 combined PCP/FTTC cabinets have been installed in the area
3) By inference assuming 90 lines per cabinet
4) Reading about the cabinets on this website plenty of room for expansion as required.

What I do not know is how the lines are allocated to the premises particularly for cabinets 1 and 2.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2016, 02:48:54 PM »

Are they using the ALL IN ONE combined PCP/FTTC Cabinets? I'm pretty sure they support 128 VDSL2 lines each.
The decision on which lines to connect to which cabinet would have been a compromise between cost/work involved/meeting targets.
They would have aimed for the maximum number of lines reaching a minimum 25mb for the lowest cost.

Samad

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2016, 07:23:57 PM »

Are they using the ALL IN ONE combined PCP/FTTC Cabinets? I'm pretty sure they support 128 VDSL2 lines each.
The decision on which lines to connect to which cabinet would have been a compromise between cost/work involved/meeting targets.
They would have aimed for the maximum number of lines reaching a minimum 25mb for the lowest cost.

Yes, this is the link to the cabinets installed - Huawei All In One:-
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

I am getting just below 24.5Mbps download my next door neighbour (going towards cabinet 2) is likely to get 23.0Mbps.

There are 4 properties between my neighbour and cabinet 2 which are at the exploring solutions stage.
Now, maybe I have answered the reason why I am not on cabinet 2 - exploring solutions. Properties beyond cabinet 2 are at the accepting orders stage.
Pages: 1 [2] 3