Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Internal Hard Drive  (Read 6060 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Internal Hard Drive
« on: April 11, 2008, 02:02:34 PM »

The Hard drive in my computer is split into two drives.Drive C is the OS and drive D is something called 'Recovery'.It is 10GB ,of which 3.66GB is used.My question is what does the D drive do.I know it says recovery but thats as much as I know.I also noted that the file system to both drives is NTFS.Is that a good/or bad thing when connecting an external hard drive.

exo

• Kitizen
Re: Internal Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 02:54:02 PM »

Hi, many computer suppliers will install the operating system for you, under licence from Microsoft. This is often referred to as an OEM Windows install.

Rather than also supply a Windows installation disc, they supply a recovery disc in order to re-install the operating system, if and when something goes wrong. The recovery disc may be the complete operating system or some software that gives access to a hidden partition on your hard drive in order to reinstall the operating system.

It seems to me that your D partition may well be used to recover your operating system in the event of a complete system failure. However, as I mentioned before, this is normally on a hidden partition in order to prevent accidental erasure.

If you do not have an original Windows disc, then the recovery disc will bring your computer back to "as supplied" condition if activated.

exo

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 03:08:26 PM »

Thanks exo,I do have the windows vista OS disc,I just wondered why Dell would put a recovery partition on the computer as well

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 03:56:34 PM »

Hi, I doubt that you have an authentic MS Windows installation disc as that defeats the object of having a recovery partition. Unless of course the partition has all the software for which you did not receive installation discs for.
See if this helps.
http://tinyurl.com/4l3gjy

What Dell model are you using?

exo
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 04:00:34 PM by exo »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 04:03:01 PM »

I just wondered why Dell would put a recovery partition on the computer as well
Medion also supply PCs with a Recovery disc, a Windows Vista/XP disc "and a Partition called recovery".

However the recovery disc (DVD or CD) actually contains things such as tools, drivers and installed software along with (in Medion's case) Norton Ghost which when used as a recovery boot disc will then automatically access the "Image Files" in the recovery partition to reinstall the PC to the manufacturers state.

If you are short of space and want to use this partition, then the best thing to do is to copy all of the files onto a DVD first, before removing them.
(But please make a note of the drive letter and whether it's FAT32 or NTSF) use notepad or something similar and save that to the partition also, then should you need to replace them at a later date you have all the relevant info.

If space is not a problem (yet) then either just ignore or hide the drive from view.

Because Dell do not supply the OS disc (Vista/XP) I "think" there is the option in Start Menu > All Programs, to create your own recovery disc which usually asks if you want to do this when the PC is new and first switched on, but the facility should also still be there even if not so new.

Hope this also sheds a little more light on the subject for you.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

(Unfortunatly I can't speak for Dell, but this is the way that Medion supply their PCs)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 04:06:30 PM by oldfogy »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 04:31:07 PM »

@ Exo,Its a Dell Dimension 9200 with Vista Home Premium OS.Just found the OS disc and also a disc with device drivers,diagnostics and utilities.

@ OF,space is not a problem

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 07:15:38 PM »

@UB

We have a Dimension 9200. The disc included with the computer marked "operating system" is a full Windows Vista DVD.

The recovery partition allows faster recovery to factory settings I believe and can be booted into from the BIOS boot menu. Whether you keep it or delete it is up to you. I had to repartition the drive so had to delete the partition. I recreated it later on and copied all the files back but whether it will work properly if I wanted to boot to it I doubt it.

As for external drives, NTFS is more reliable and resilient to data loss. It is a perfectly good choice if you only intend to connect it to PCs which can natively read NTFS such as Windows 2000, XP and Vista. Windows 95, 98 and Me will not be able to access the disc by default as it does not support NTFS. Thats not to say that third party utilities might offer access to it on those platforms.

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 12:16:32 AM »

Hi, I am surprised they have supplied the Vista install disc and a recovery partition...............good for Dell.
As disc space is not a problem, then I would be inclined to leave the recovery partition.
This will enable a speedy install of the o/s if ever required, possibly along with all the necessary drivers in one procedure.
It probably includes some programs as well.

exo

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 09:22:17 AM »

Just a query guys,in my computer the drives are as follows.C= OS, D=recovery partition, E= DVD/CD drive.I then have drive icons labelled, F,G,H,I and J,which are called 'removable disk'.What are they there for? When I put in my USB flash drive that shows up as 'K'.

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 09:54:32 AM »

Presumably the machine has a memory card slot somewhere?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 09:59:30 AM »

Yes a built in card reader,is that what the drives are allocated to?

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 11:09:55 AM »

Yes a built in card reader,is that what the drives are allocated to?

Yes, if you have a multi-card reader fitted with seperate slots for the different types of card then each one of these is allocated a drive letter.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 11:23:13 AM »

Got it.Put my SD card in and its allocated to drive  i,
Thanks guys. :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 12:23:23 PM »

As they are a permanent fixture you could if you wanted to, select a icon to go with each of them, you could also re-name them if you wanted to to make them say a little more noticeable. IE. SD Card,

anything