Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Massive Storm  (Read 10714 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Massive Storm
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2016, 11:37:03 AM »

After my experience the other week I simply do not believe that BT has any wide area event management running, or at least if they do it simply DOES NOT WORK!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2016, 12:50:39 PM »

Hopefully all is well now BS?
I noticed the other night that Vispa (a Manchester based ISP) was saying there were localised outages.

Thank you ...... all was restored by approx. 4pm the same day. I know not what the 'fix' was though ??.  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2016, 07:12:34 PM »

Some of you guys my already be getting some T/Storms this evening but does not look as severe its more spread out.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2016, 09:02:19 PM »

Here down south, had some ominous rumbles in the distance this afternoon, starting about 5-ish.   Seemed to be coming from all sides, then skies dark as night by 7pm.  :o

But it came to nothing, still very humid out there, but still dry and no more sound of thunder.

Contrast with a week ago, forecast was for a nice dry day, so I set about some outside painting.   About an hour after I started the heavens opened, poured down for about 24 hours.   And modern water-based Eco-friendly paints do not take kindly to pouring rain, so spent most of the past week trying to rescue it all. :'(

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2016, 07:58:25 AM »

I spoke too soon, massive thunderstorm with torrential rain, for a good hour or two, starting about 4- 5am.  :'(

It did give me the opportunity to verify the accuracy of www.lightningmaps.org - very accurate indeed it turns out.  I could literally identify each and every flash in real time as they happened, and the locations of each strike were entirely credible, several within a mile in the time I watched it.

And my connection stayed up all night too, can't see any stats though, never set it up.

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2016, 05:03:37 PM »

Here in Newbury we had a massive storm last night that started about 7pm.  It stop/started until about 6.30 this morning.

A few pictures from last night here http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/home/19277/storm-strikes-west-berkshire.html

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2016, 11:58:36 AM »

Yes I heard about Newbury;  One report said that people at the railway station were standing on the benches to get out of the torrent of water.   Didcot station was flooded and closed too, I believe. :o

Incidentally, I should have known I was tempting fate when boasting that my broadband had survived...  I have since found out that whilst broadband is indeed find, the phones are out for self and all immediate neighbours and possibly the whole village.   It may not be entirely coincidence that, in the early hours of Friday, the Fire Brigade were spotted pumping water away from a flood in the next village, at a location not far from the telephone exchange.   ::)

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2016, 01:45:46 PM »

From the news reports it appears that Didcot had it as bad if not worse than Newbury.  Newbury station was also closed and I believe that it was later the next morning before trains were calling there again.

Travel the next morning was also disrupted with several roads closed due to flooding – even the M4 motorway was affected.

Our exchange wasn’t missed by the storm.  It didn’t flood but it did take a lightning strike.  There’s a picture of the building just after the strike near the bottom of the page in the link I posted earlier.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2016, 01:11:48 AM »

From the news reports it appears that Didcot had it as bad if not worse than Newbury.  Newbury station was also closed and I believe that it was later the next morning before trains were calling there again.

Travel the next morning was also disrupted with several roads closed due to flooding – even the M4 motorway was affected.

Our exchange wasn’t missed by the storm.  It didn’t flood but it did take a lightning strike.  There’s a picture of the building just after the strike near the bottom of the page in the link I posted earlier.

Looks like that is part of a video...  wonder if they got the actual strike.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2016, 07:09:22 PM »

I believe I’ve found the original video.  Unfortunately they miss the actual strike and strangely there is no sound of the hit on the video.

There is bad language on the video so if you watch it please mute the sound if you’re likely to offended or there are minors around.

The link https://twitter.com/ROD558/status/776513853081395201

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2016, 08:43:19 PM »

Was the exchange still in use and, if so, we're there any ill effects?

I would assume that a BT exchange would have pretty effective lightning protection?

I would also assume that good lightning protection would be enough enable such a building withstand a direct strike.  After all, buildings like the worlds' giant skyscrapers are presumably struck on a regular basis, yet are able to continue business as normal, unnoticed by users of all the computers and IT apparatus inside.

But these assumptions and presumptions  are open to challenge.   If anybody can share authoritative knowledge about BT exchanges and their lightning protection, I'd be all ears.   :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2016, 10:05:12 AM »

Thanks for finding the original vid.  As you say he didn't catch the strike but you would have thought the sound would have.  There is a clap of thunder after the smoke, but bearing in mind his proximity you would have thought it would have been more instantaneous and quite loud. 

Look at what happens to all the lights inside the building how they flicker on, off and back on again. 

You can see the lightning rods in between the masts, which is where you would have thought the lightning would have struck.  Would the switch on of emergency generators cause smoke?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2016, 10:15:16 AM »

Having watched the video I would suspect that the smoke could well be from the generators starting, in my experience most emergency generators are diesel and the smoke seems to only appear for a short while which would be consistent with a diesel genny.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2016, 01:16:37 PM »

Thanks for finding the original vid.  As you say he didn't catch the strike but you would have thought the sound would have.  There is a clap of thunder after the smoke, but bearing in mind his proximity you would have thought it would have been more instantaneous and quite loud. 

Look at what happens to all the lights inside the building how they flicker on, off and back on again. 

You can see the lightning rods in between the masts, which is where you would have thought the lightning would have struck.  Would the switch on of emergency generators cause smoke?

Only just re-visited this thread. I think you've all pretty much cornered it by way of a) All Exchanges have lighting protection, both for the building and the equipment inside. b) Without conclusive footage it is hard to say, but the flickering lights coupled with the seemingly black exhaust smoke of a diesel genny kicking in and 'coming up to speed' to provide power to just 'essential circuits', I think rule out a direct strike ?.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2016, 02:24:16 PM »

It never occurred to me the generator might be on the roof, but I suppose it makes sense.

But if it failed to start for some reason,  I'd not be too keen on going up there to try and fix it during a lightning storm, no matter what kind of protection was provided. :-[
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything