Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Massive Storm  (Read 10713 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Massive Storm
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 07:39:21 AM »

Looking at that map, I see that Kitz, Black Sheep and Apollo11cdr (now finally with a working connection) will have been right in the storm's path.  :o

100% correct for myself, Mr Cat.  :) :)

It lasted approx. 90mins, and I have to say it was one of the most awesome and scary storm events I've witnessed in the UK !! The electrical 'show' was stunning from sheet to forked lightning patterns, but the thunder claps ??!! ...... this was the scary bit as it actually sounded like a bomb had gone off in an upstairs room !!!

I'm expecting a 'Rally call' from our leaders today, as I'm certain there will be collateral damage from last nights lightning ??

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 07:52:59 AM »

I'm just hoping BT's wide area event recognition works for you better than it failed for me the other week.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 08:44:06 AM »

Ha ha ..... at least one out of the three people Mr Cat mentions, has access to a magic DLM re-set button ........ if needed ??  ;)  ;D

Perks of the job I suppose  :-[  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 10:57:30 AM »

Yep... that really was some storm.   

It started off as a nice sunny day and I decided to do some gardening.   All was going ok until about 3pm when it suddenly went dark.  Black clouds seemed to roll in from nowhere (ok from over the sea).  I thought I had better start packing things away, and before I could even do so the heavens opened.   Within 10 mins we'd gone from sunshine to dark skies.   
The rain started in earnest in seconds.  Going from nothing to torrential downpour immediately.  I got soaked trying to put the tools away as there was no real warning nor distant thunder. The really magnificent thunder and lightening show didnt start until later .

My daughter was stranded and couldnt get home from work, it took the trams out of action (and are still out on some routes) and I believe trains & planes were also affected. A few major stores were flooded. Some roads became impassable.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 11:02:50 AM »

MEN has an article with vids showing the chaos in and around Manchester.   From what I can gather, we got it here about 30-60 mins before Manchester, but they got the brunt of it.  Presumably the storm clouds will have backed up by the time they reached the Pennines.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2016, 11:21:00 AM »

And I missed it all. No modems lost yesterday.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2016, 12:01:55 PM »

I have seen these storms on youtube that come from the atlantic the clouds can get very dark and huge massive rainfall.

When we do get storms in leicester they nowhere near as dark because by the time they get here they weakened.  Most of the atlantic weather tends to start turning north when it hits the uk.  So the west and north west gets most of it, the south east is as if its got its own different weather pattern.

I also observed on sunny days (most days) if I look east the sky is blue, if I look west its nearly always cloudy.

Sometimes but isnt very often, when we below the jetstream, I see dark low fast moving clouds, but they little puffs, like cotton wool puffs, completely worn out.

When we (and london ) get storms its usually the ones that come from france moving north.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:05:15 PM by Chrysalis »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2016, 12:11:42 PM »

No amount of DLM resets will cure the problem I have now ...... the whole bl00dy DSLAM is down, along with others in the area.
Now, this wasn't a direct result of the storm, as I was on-line until midnight before I shot off to bed. I managed to get a connection this morning at 7am, but have had a few phone calls from neighbours saying their circuits are down. a quick WHOOSH test also shows mine down as well.

However, apart from having to hold longer conversations with t'wife  :o, I'll find something to do.  ;D 

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2016, 03:08:02 PM »

It was right over my house too.

The storms were definately causing problems as the Sky tv box went off for a while.

Also the cctv cameras I have would go off for a split second.

On the connection part I got plenty of ES's, and my download SNR dropped to 3.8 . its usually just above 6.

I've heard there is other weather warnings for the 15 and 16th. Let's hope its not as bad!
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2016, 04:16:36 PM »

I was on the eastern edge of the storm, the closest the lightning/thunder gap was around 20s, or 4 miles, I think. There wasn't much rain left on this side of the Pennines - Manchester must have taken it all!

The impact on the line was tiny. Very little on the SNRM graph, but noticeable on the FEC graph. It kept retransmission a little busier, but that did its job - almost nothing visible on CRC or ES.

It is, I think, the first time I've seen the effect of a thunderstorm on my own line.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2016, 05:06:13 PM »

I have been watching the circuit to the Eagle's nest, on and off, ever since Kitz noticed that G.Inp had been disabled. G.Inp was finally restored to the circuit but the US SNRM has been very variable. There was a period when the modem and DSLAM remained in a synchronised state but the upper software layers were having severe problems. Possibly the Plusnet problems, as others have reported.  :-\

When I checked, earlier today, this is what I saw --
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 05:36:47 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2016, 09:26:23 AM »

There was a period when the modem and DSLAM remained in a synchronised state but the upper software layers were having severe problems. Possibly the Plusnet problems, as others have reported.

Doubt it. Admittedly I havent checked the PN forums of late, but as I mentioned in the other thread, the vast majority of those reporting problems seemed to have IPs in the same range.  Being that since moving over to dedicated WBMC, the IP's are allocated to a more geographic location I thought it may be more localised and related to near to the MSIL's...  when someone checked, they were indeed in a similar region down south somewhere.

Aside from that I dont think anything PN related could cause the upstream SNRm to vary like that.  That 1dB spiking started on Sept 10th after a period of outage. 
The modem may require a full power cycle.   You do sometimes see that happen across various modems, I think NS had one a few weeks back, and I've also seen someone else (using a Billion?) within the past month on this forum see the same thing and as I suggested it vanished after a power cycle. 

As I said at that time, its something that I've observed way back to the days of just adsl and it seems to be more likely to occur if the line has been knocked out due to a power surge or after a power outage.  Going back 10 yrs I had a Voyager 2100 router, which seemed to have a habit of doing this if my mains had been switched off and hadn't been shutdown gracefully first.   

I too had one myself within the past couple of days.  Something knocked me offline at 03:51.  I dont know what caused the resync at that time, (possibly a storm - dont know was asleep)..  but note that when my line automatically came back up it also showed that spiking.   You can then see at about mid-day I had noticed it myself on DSLstats, so I performed a power cycle.  It went as soon as I did a full power cycle.  It seldom works with a simple resync and needs a full power down to clear.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2016, 09:44:34 AM »

I have seen these storms on youtube that come from the atlantic the clouds can get very dark and huge massive rainfall.

When we do get storms in leicester they nowhere near as dark because by the time they get here they weakened.  Most of the atlantic weather tends to start turning north when it hits the uk.  So the west and north west gets most of it, the south east is as if its got its own different weather pattern.

I also observed on sunny days (most days) if I look east the sky is blue, if I look west its nearly always cloudy.

Sometimes but isnt very often, when we below the jetstream, I see dark low fast moving clouds, but they little puffs, like cotton wool puffs, completely worn out.

When we (and london ) get storms its usually the ones that come from france moving north.

My daughter said the other night it reminded her of Florida storms. 
We used to go to Florida several times a year where they do see this type of storm more frequently.   I have distinct recollection of one particular day on Palm Beach.   Beautiful day sat on the beach when the coast guard came flying past in his jeep warning everyone to clear the beach immediately.  We were totally confused at the time why as the weather was beautiful and although the wind had picked up a little bit everything looked ok to us.   We started packing up our towels & beach bags and was making our way back to the car when the sky went black.  We just made it back to the car when the heavens opened.  We had to sit in the car for about a good half hour before we could move as the rain came down in sheets and visibility was practically zero.
It wasnt the only time it happened, but I think that may have was our first experience of seeing how quickly storm clouds could move in from the Atlantic which may be why it was the most memorable.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2016, 09:47:51 AM »

No amount of DLM resets will cure the problem I have now ...... the whole bl00dy DSLAM is down, along with others in the area.
Now, this wasn't a direct result of the storm, as I was on-line until midnight before I shot off to bed. I managed to get a connection this morning at 7am, but have had a few phone calls from neighbours saying their circuits are down. a quick WHOOSH test also shows mine down as well.

However, apart from having to hold longer conversations with t'wife  :o, I'll find something to do.  ;D

Hopefully all is well now BS?
I noticed the other night that Vispa (a Manchester based ISP) was saying there were localised outages.
-----

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2016, 10:25:06 AM »

I posted to soon earlier in the thread.

The Storm has knocked me down to interleaving. My noise margin seems closer to 6 too (6.1).

So much for DLM's wide area incident reporting. Unless of course it damaged the actual line.

What happens if a phone line gets a strike on it?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4