Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 3 months into intermittent long line ADSL fault - is this REIN?  (Read 7492 times)

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: 3 months into intermittent long line ADSL fault - is this REIN?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 04:09:13 PM »

The DLM will not be responsible for changes in the current SNRM value while the DSL remains connected.

I still stay, despite all the fiddling with some profile / settings that may have been done so far, it would be better off on ADSL2 rather than ADSL1. In my experience, the interleaving+FEC on ADSL2 is better at correcting errors than what ADSL1 can do.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 04:54:34 PM »

. . . it would be better off on ADSL2 rather than ADSL1. In my experience, the interleaving+FEC on ADSL2 is better at correcting errors than what ADSL1 can do.

I concur. A modem configured for G.992.3 (ADSL2) will operate more efficiently than when it is configured for G.992.1 (G.Dmt).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Heyho

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 05:27:57 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but is this something I need to request from the ISP?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 05:35:06 PM »

> Forgive my ignorance, but is this something I need to request from the ISP?

If your line does not offer ADSL2 (or ADSL2+) already, then you will need to ask your ISP whether ADSL2 is available. (The other possibility is a line that could speak ADSL2 but either the customer’s modem is set up for ADSL1 only, or the line is configured by the ISP for ADSL1 only for some reason.)

fourtytwo

• Just arrived
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 09:39:14 AM »

The DLM will not be responsible for changes in the current SNRM value while the DSL remains connected.

I am afraid you are quite incorrect! The DLM can and does force a re-synch adjusting the tsnr +/-3db (and/or interleaving etc) first of all in the small hours of the morning if its rules say the line needs to be improved and secondly even during the day if the severe errored seconds become what it considers untenable.  I have lived with DLM interruptions for many years and have plenty of recorded instances along with the fact that my ISP agrees with me! please read the DLM description on this site for details.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 09:02:41 PM »

You appear to have misunderstood what I have said.

What I meant was, if you see the SNRM go up or down, but the DSL remains connected, then it was not the DLM's doing.

Yes I know the DLM can disconnect the DSL to change the target SNRM, but that's not "while the DSL remains connected".

Heyho's graphs showed the SNRM changing, but the connection speed was the same before and after, so I assumed there had been no re-sync, the DSL stayed connected, therefore the changing of the SNRM was not the work of the DLM.

Heyho

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2016, 09:25:34 PM »

Indeed...  The fluctuations in the noise margin do not appear to be in conjunction with any re-syncs.

I tried to log a complaint with TalkTalk last night, but the adviser was insistent that he carry out a DLM reset, as he was adamant that it hadn't yet been done.  Having allowed him to carry this out, nothing seems to have changed, but in the past 24 hours I don't seem to have had a disconnection, but did have a dip of the SNRM down to  1.5db for a few minutes earlier this evening, which resulted in an unusable service for about 10 minutes, but no disconnection.

And so it continues.

Heyho

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2016, 04:55:39 PM »

Ok, so the conclusion to this is that after I allowed TalkTalk one last chance to get this fixed, including them sending me a further router (different model), my connection was still dropping frequently.

I eventually managed to break my contract, and have just had fixed wireless installed - 15mbps and unlimited usage, for the same price TalkTalk are now asking for basic broadband.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything